GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How's your paint doing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 02:43 PM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrycs
Interesting ... I use a California Duster on my Obsidian and it doesn't scratch my paint. The only swirls on my car are the ones from the original dealer prep.

I always run the duster in the same directions (to minimize visible swirl reflections) so any duster scratches would have been in those direction as well and there aren't any new ones.

However ... my car usually gets washed and touched up with Zaino Z6 once a week so I usually don't have a huge dust build up on it either. When using the duster, are you JUST using the tips of the fibers and NOT plopping the full weight of the duster on the paint?
i should have been more clear.... i do have a pretty old duster and I did put weight on it. Even though it is garage kept, i live in the IE and it's pretty damn dusty. If i'm too light on the duster, it pretty much doesn't do anything to remove dust. I put a bit of weight on it and get very light hairline scratches.

SoCal350 - thanks for the detailed answer. I feel the same. From my experience and what I learned in the past, its all the in the polishing to get those fine hairlines out. I have about 10 bottles of buffing and polishing compounds that I use to get rid of different types of scratches. But, I'm not that perfect...hehe. Although it's annoying, but I'll settle and deal w/ it. I'll probably wait another 5 years before I go all out to try to remove all the fine clear coat scratches. But until then, i love this car and will enjoy it....
Old 08-05-13, 03:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
Oh dear. I can't help this one

It's the same paint!!!the color isn't the part that is getting scratched. It's the top coat which is the clear coat.
I know its the clear coat getting scratched! The newer paints are harder than the obsidian which must be atleast 10 years old by now. Cant see the nebula grey and starfire getting scratched anywhere near as bad as obsidian. Damn it, even the stargazer black isnt as bad as obsidian!
Old 08-05-13, 03:18 PM
SoCal350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silguy
i should have been more clear.... i do have a pretty old duster and I did put weight on it. Even though it is garage kept, i live in the IE and it's pretty damn dusty. If i'm too light on the duster, it pretty much doesn't do anything to remove dust. I put a bit of weight on it and get very light hairline scratches.

SoCal350 - thanks for the detailed answer. I feel the same. From my experience and what I learned in the past, its all the in the polishing to get those fine hairlines out. I have about 10 bottles of buffing and polishing compounds that I use to get rid of different types of scratches. But, I'm not that perfect...hehe. Although it's annoying, but I'll settle and deal w/ it. I'll probably wait another 5 years before I go all out to try to remove all the fine clear coat scratches. But until then, i love this car and will enjoy it....
No problem..btw, I hate dusters in general. They are good at car shows when the weather is great and you are on the car every 10 minutes...lol. A great quick detailer and quality microfiber towel will do you much better, and support the wax and UV protection too. Remember, with a duster, you are spreading not picking up...with teh detailer, you lubricate the dist and then pick up....no scratching.

Take a look at ChemicalGuys products in general...specifically the V07 quick detailer and their awesome big blue towels....and honestly, just about anything else they have.
Old 08-05-13, 03:19 PM
SoCal350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
I know its the clear coat getting scratched! The newer paints are harder than the obsidian which must be atleast 10 years old by now.
WRONG! Today's OB is not 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or even 3 years ago's OB. The paint itself is different, the clear is different.

OB is just a color code, not a technology..I've had Ob's on 5 vehicles over 15 years...all reacted and worked differently.
Old 08-05-13, 07:44 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Obsidian 212 is single-stage paint. There is no clear coat.
Old 08-05-13, 08:11 PM
SoCal350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisyano
Obsidian 212 is single-stage paint. There is no clear coat.
OK - so between the old velvet black, onyx and obsidian, Lexus has never 'really' clear coated the black paint colors. They are 'special' though in that they have a metallic layer that is coated over the black - not your typical metallic flake, but multi colored micro flake that is suspended in a top coat that is more or less, clear.

The coating is not a true clear, its 'mixed' or 'integrated'. You have to color sand or buff pretty hard to start seeing any color coming on a pad or dripping on the floor though. Much of the color you would see on the pad is the mixed/integrated micro metallic in the top coat.

I believe that to be true as best as I can recall from repainting some OB and Onyx paint. The dealer paint kits came with the black base and the mixed/integrated clear.
Old 08-05-13, 10:09 PM
Chuy250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCal350
This whole things bugs me and I don't personally like the answers being given.

Professional painters who use quality products and know what they are doing, should not leave you with a car that has swirls, no matter the color. Fact is, Lexus paint in fairly soft to begin with, to avoid chips etc from the road, so it is more susceptible to hairline scratching from dirty towels or dust getting trapped when being wiped down.

A paint detailer, worth his weight, uses products that do not cover up - they don't use polishes that have fillers in them. Filling scratches with a lower end product will result in that filler being worn down over time and the scratches/swirls just showing up again. Getting rid of swirls is very easy - its in the polish and technique - it just has to be done right the first time, and maintained properly thereafter.

I've had OB and white - equally need proper attention. It is true that you will see more imperfections on black than any other color, so more to you for maintaining properly.

Some tricks:

Don't wash your car on windy or breezy days - dust will just get on the paint and you will rub it into the paint and make scratches. Make sure you don't do it in the sun either, middle of the day, etc. when the water will tend to dry very quickly and potentially spot.

Use lubricating car wash soaps or even the foaming ones. Let the soap do the dirt and lubricating it so it slides off and doesn't work its way into the paint and scratch. Wash the car with specialized materials, some synthetic, some natural, etc. Most microfiber towels you buy at stores are the worst you can possibly get. Get real quality from detail supply stores and companies. Shammies work great too and lift, versus spread...spreading scratches.

Detailers that say you can't do anything about it are worthless and lazy. It takes time and proper materials and training to do it right.

Believe in a perfect paint surface...it is very possible.

Believe in color sanding and buffing - properly. Taking your time and spending your money on the proper products will not only save you time and efforts, but lots of heartache.

Believe in paint sealing, and learn how paint reacts to polishing, etc. Know the science of the paint and the product application. If you go to service companies, versus doing it yourself, don't be cheap. Look at the high end companies and find out what they use and do differently. Learn, learn, learn...and then get the results you want and expect.

I can go on for a long time on this subject...just don't settle for anything less than perfect. That's why you bought the car you did afterall.
Very Good. I learned something new today
Old 06-06-14, 04:06 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my black GS for almost 11 months and the paint is really starting to bother me. In particular I now wish I'd done the plastic hood bra, as normal washing has left several badly scratched areas. Nobody cares but me, of course, it's not THAT bad, but I expected better.
Old 06-06-14, 04:11 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Have you guys tried opti coat?
Old 06-06-14, 05:27 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Do a Youtube search for Junkman. He'll show you everything you're doing wrong and how to prevent it, and fix it.
Old 06-06-14, 07:10 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
Have you guys tried opti coat?
Amen. To those of you with OB, or really any color that are looking for some added protection, why not put a coating on there whether its opticoat, 22ple, modesta, cquartz, etc. Let a professional prep the paint so its as close to perfect as possible, and then coat it. At least let the coating take some of the beating. Of course, you will still get some imperfections in the coating, they're not a magical salve, but maintenance should be easier, and in some cases you have the benefit of a measurable thickness of coating on top of your clear.

Education on proper car wash/care techniques also goes a long way to preventing swirls, micro-scratching, etc., but the individual's patience level and how much they care about putting time, effort, and money into the project matter as well. Larry from Ammo NYC Has some great videos for those of you looking to learn about more about taking care of your car.
. Both washing and drying your car properly can make a huge difference in your paint's condition.
Old 06-06-14, 08:07 PM
gsstud
Pole Position

California duster??? Lol that's funny... :-)
Old 06-07-14, 12:32 AM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good detailing lubricant and some microfiber might save the day for some but not all. My starfire is o.k. for not leaving swirls, but road rubber and other color oriented pollutants try to make themselves part of the original paint. Sometime it feels like I have to remove a layer of clear coat to get those stains out. It's a pain to wash and detail 3 times a week but that's what it takes.
Old 06-07-14, 05:07 AM
roosta23
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my 2014 Fsport Ultra white yesterday, i have some wheels that i am going to paint the milled grooves on the edge of each spoke to match the car. I am curious if Lexus will sell the paint in more than just the touch up pens..as these are 5 spoke wheels with milled grooves on both sides of the spoke thus 4 wheels x 5 spokes= 40 grooves i need to paint????
Old 06-07-14, 05:29 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my GS350 brand spankin new. When I took delivery of my GS from the dealership I told them not to prep itfor delivery and do not wash it. I drove it home and the next day I jad the car detailed by a professional that details ferraris and porches. Then I had him put on a coat of opticoat 2.0. After a few days inside my garage waiting to get that coat really dry I took my car to Fat Cat Customs and had them install premium shield elte clear bra on th full hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights, a pillar, the lexus emblem, and all four doors. The clear bra was wrapped around the edges to make sure there are to edges showing.

I did all this because I know paint nowadays are not as hard and durable because of those darn green peace guys and enviromentalist forcing painy manufacturers to make paint more eco friendly. I am **** about how my car looks so all these steps taken was to ensure the best possible protection

Quick Reply: How's your paint doing??