GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
Old 01-09-15, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

need to replace drivers side F sport brake caliper cover. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 12:57 AM
ARB5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace drivers side F sport brake caliper cover. Advice?

I need to replace a GS350F front caliper cover that the was painted red. Any advice to replace this piece without buying a 4-pc set? It was nicely painted and I don't see anywhere to buy these in red with the F Sport lettering. I would prefer not to change the color as these covers got me the second I saw them at the dealership. I bought it used and the previous owner did these right. Apparently blue is stock??? Not sure..
Thx

Thanks
Old 08-02-13, 02:37 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, calipers typically comes as a full set...unless you go aftermarket
Old 08-02-13, 07:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ARB5
I need to replace a GS350F front caliper cover that the was painted red. Any advice to replace this piece without buying a 4-pc set? It was nicely painted and I don't see anywhere to buy these in red with the F Sport lettering. I would prefer not to change the color as these covers got me the second I saw them at the dealership. I bought it used and the previous owner did these right. Apparently blue is stock??? Not sure..
Thx

Thanks
I'm a little confused, do you want to change the color or do you want to replace the caliper because of a problem. A pic would help as it sounds like you just want to change the color, which you could just paint over it with another color, also stock color is not blue its more like dark graphite.
Old 08-02-13, 08:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You can buy some brake caliper decals that say f-sport on them and put them on your currently red calipers. This will be much cheaper, only like $8-10. And f-sport calipers are gray when stock, not blue.
Old 08-06-13, 09:20 PM
ARB5
Driver School Candidate

Thx

Thanks

Thanks for the input. The red caliper cover keeps coming loose after hitting pot holes on these messed up LA freeways. My mechanic has tightened it down but stated the covers are not necessary and suggest it be taken off. I'm a novice and didn't know you can paint these, also I heard that the covers protect the rims from damaging break dust. When I first wrote this, I was trying to find a replacement and ones that will stay on, not coming loose. Thanks again and interested to hear any thoughts!
Old 08-06-13, 09:33 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand correctly, are you having something similar to this but with Fsport letters?
Old 08-07-13, 04:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the input. The red caliper cover keeps coming loose after hitting pot holes on these messed up LA freeways. My mechanic has tightened it down but stated the covers are not necessary and suggest it be taken off. I'm a novice and didn't know you can paint these, also I heard that the covers protect the rims from damaging break dust. When I first wrote this, I was trying to find a replacement and ones that will stay on, not coming loose. Thanks again and interested to hear any thoughts!
I think we all need a pic of this, if they are the covers pictured above they can not be painted over. I would suggest taking them off if that's what they look like.
Old 03-11-14, 11:20 PM
ARB5
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to all who replied to my post I left vacant for all this time. I wanted to post a lousy picture of the caliper paint job that I had done (I'll probably post a better one) on my 2013 350 F. I think they came out really cool minus some small blemishes and maybe a bit too much clear coat over the drivers side decal, it was getting dark. A big thanks to Dchar for the mention of the decals. I got them for $10 online. And they really pop! Didn't go the powder coat method ( would have preferred ) instead used VHT 7030 spray paint (or similar) red caliper paint, the decal of course and VHT clear coat to go over. I did some research and some guys had good things to say about this paint and not such kind words of some other paints, especially he brush on method. Pretty stoked at the look and we'll see how it holds up. The question is now: should I paint the rear calipers or leave the red F Sport cal covers that are on there? They actually look ok but I feel like its kind wussy. My gut tells me paint the rear too, any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails need to replace drivers side  F sport brake caliper cover. Advice?-image.jpg  

Last edited by ARB5; 03-11-14 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 03-14-15, 02:41 PM
GreentAzn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you to all who replied to my post I left vacant for all this time. I wanted to post a lousy picture of the caliper paint job that I had done (I'll probably post a better one) on my 2013 350 F. I think they came out really cool minus some small blemishes and maybe a bit too much clear coat over the drivers side decal, it was getting dark. A big thanks to Dchar for the mention of the decals. I got them for $10 online. And they really pop! Didn't go the powder coat method ( would have preferred ) instead used VHT 7030 spray paint (or similar) red caliper paint, the decal of course and VHT clear coat to go over. I did some research and some guys had good things to say about this paint and not such kind words of some other paints, especially he brush on method. Pretty stoked at the look and we'll see how it holds up. The question is now: should I paint the rear calipers or leave the red F Sport cal covers that are on there? They actually look ok but I feel like its kind wussy. My gut tells me paint the rear too, any thoughts?
Would you mind sharing where you got it? I want it on my 2015 IS 350 F sport!