GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Ride quality (Non F Sport)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 11:55 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ride quality (Non F Sport)?

What's the ride quality like on the non F-Sport models (ie Base and Luxury) over "challenging" surfaces like railroad tracks, rutted pavement, etc??

My current car has 19-inch, 45-series tires and I am not a fan. It's tedious on anything but smooth pavement. My commute is 50% decent highway and 50% ghetto roads on a daily basis and I'm wondering if the GS is tolerable or if I should forget about the Lexus sedans and focus my search on a GX460.
Old 07-30-13, 12:31 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stick with a larger tire vehicle like the GX. My GS is rather firm and with the adjustable suspension, it only gets firmer. It was more firm when it was brand new but now that i've put over 20,000 miles on it, it's not quite as firm on smoother roads. I don't know where you are but in Pennsylvania, ghetto roads can be quite a challenge. Short answer is test drive one and see how it performs for you.
Old 07-30-13, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Mine rides beautifully. I came from the ES and longer ago, the LS and I think my GS rides better than my ES's did. The ES is more softly sprung, and you can feel that at low speeds over things like railroad tracks, speed bumps, etc...but at speed the GS has more of the glasslike ride of the LS IMHO, its a more refined and expensive feeling vehicle.

At low speeds its definitely firm, you're going to feel railroad tracks, beat up roads, but they have a muted, refined feel to them that is never harsh.

Tire pressure is important. I air mine to 33 (the recommended on the doorframe) and am overjoyed with how it rides, and I was concerned about the ride after being used to the ES.

The issue with the GX over things like railroad tracks is going to be the truck chassis and side to side thrashing.
Old 07-30-13, 01:17 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Interesting, thank you for sharing your experiences.

The problem is that there is only so much I can learn/feel from a 20 min test drive. I wish Lexus would allow me to keep each vehicle for a month before spending 50k so that I could see the differences, but that's obviously not going to happen. So that's why I'm interested in the opinions of people who have owned them for a while.
Old 07-30-13, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A month isn't really reasonable, but I bet they would let you keep one for a full day.

I think you will be happy with the ride. I was very concerned about it, because I am not really a "sporty car" person (the main reason I upgraded to the GS was to get a nicer interior), and I love nice riding cars. I'm 100% satisfied with the GS, and in fact I feel silly for ever having been worried about the ride at all.
Old 07-30-13, 01:24 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The pavement where I commute is just so bad...ripples, potholes, uneven patches, expansion joints, the works.....
Old 07-30-13, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are a lot of areas here where its bad too, you're going to feel it, but like I said its always muted and refined, never harsh.

I would ask them if you can drive one for a day...make sure the tires are aired to 33PSI, and I would be sure to get a Luxury model with the AVS and Michelin tires.
Old 07-30-13, 08:18 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the F-sport then its the crappy bridgestone or dunlops with their firm sidewalls that is causing this choppy unsetlling ride over uneasy pavements and highways. I switched out the Bridgestones on my GS350 Fsport with 19 inch rims this spring and got some nice grand touring alls season Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires in size 245/40R19 and the car is so smooth and comfortable yet sporty without the punishing ride I had before. I still can use the sport + mode without too much sacrifice. I suggest you look into good all season tires with better comfort and longetivity. It will make your GS F-Sport feel much more compliant over bumps and choppy roads. My f-sport is smoother then some of the premium GS that I have test drove with the same michelins and even with dunlops yet the car is more sharper in turns with less body roll due to the AVS system. So that is great balance of handling and comfort.
Old 07-30-13, 11:19 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with swgs13's description of the ride. I also have the cold weather pkg, with double-pane windows, which reduces the noise.
Old 07-31-13, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by larryinWA
Agree with swgs13's description of the ride. I also have the cold weather pkg, with double-pane windows, which reduces the noise.
As do I, the car is definitely very quiet.
Old 07-31-13, 07:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
There are a lot of areas here where its bad too, you're going to feel it, but like I said its always muted and refined, never harsh.

I would ask them if you can drive one for a day...make sure the tires are aired to 33PSI, and I would be sure to get a Luxury model with the AVS and Michelin tires.

Feel the same about the ride quality and go with 33 lbs too.
Dunlop 5100's and the ride isn't bad but looking forward to a Primacy MXM4 change in the future.
Old 07-31-13, 10:09 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't realize that the all weather package gets you double paned windows. How much quieter is it than single pane?
Old 07-31-13, 03:29 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a luxury model and I've been pleased with the ride comfort until recently. The road noise is more noticable now that I've put about 12K on the car. I think it has something to do with the Dunlops that came with the car. I ask my "passengers" and they also feel the same. The other day my wife actually asked me if I could switch to the smooth mode. She thought I was in S+. The tires are still new. I kind of don't want to waste them. Really looking forwards to switching them out.

Last edited by 1111GS; 07-31-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 03:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I have a luxury model and I've been pleased with the ride comfort until recently. The road noise is more noticable now that I've put about 12K on the car. I think it has something to do with the Dunlops that came with the car. I ask my "passengers" and they also feel the same. The other day my wife actually asked me if I could switch to the smooth mode. She thought I was in S+. The tires are still new. I kind of don't want to waste them. Really looking forwards to switching them out. Anyone here has Michelins AS 3? I'm not sure if it's worth the extra bucks. Maybe I'll get the Primacy MXM4.

I'm only at 3K or so miles and the Dunlops are still ok but they are a bit loud on certain highway surfaces.
MXM4's will be the tires I'll buy.
Old 07-31-13, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's the Dunlops bn. Every set of Dunlop tires I've had gets loud after 10-15k.

Get the Michelins, it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Ride quality (Non F Sport)?