GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

goodbye GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 04:51 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Yeah ive gotta agree, the rear does resemble a hyundia sonata i think its called I'm not sure. I always mistake them for a GS when I'm tailing them from far away
I will be honest, I used to laugh when GS first came out with 13 model when I saw one from behind on the road. The rear end looked just like Camry (overall shape) with flare of Hyundai Sonata (details). I thought "After all the hype, that's what they came up with?". Ah...the front end, I thought Lexus finally got their sense of humor with that one. Who does something like that to 50-60k car, I thought. One week prior to buying one, I saw a silver one in DC right next to me and thought, OMG look at the wheel gap on that car???

Now that I drive one, I understand the hype, it is a GREAT car. All cars have minor things to pick on but this car does almost everything so well. I love driving it. But I have to say, I do not love being seen in it. Car has dynamics that will shame most other competitors. But it looks almost like a supped up Camry by a designer who used to be rice boy...someone who might have his own style but doesn't quite get it. Like putting on ultra wide tires that stick out from the fender, maybe huge wheel gap was an attractive option to the designers and engineers.

Such a shame though, for a such great car. I may not be majority. But when I used to drive other brand, I used to laugh at GS's look and its drivers with bad taste. If other luxury brand drivers feel similar, what could be a sales hit, may not turn out to be such hit.
Old 01-24-14, 12:10 AM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad you leave Lexus for better mpg car. I plan getting '13 F-Sport. Currently, '07 GS350. MPG is not bad. I drove in freeway a lot. I used to be 1995 Honda Accord EX and almost same mpg as my car. I will never go back Honda and stick to Lexus. How is your new ride?
Old 01-24-14, 12:57 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
I will be honest, I used to laugh when GS first came out with 13 model when I saw one from behind on the road. The rear end looked just like Camry (overall shape) with flare of Hyundai Sonata (details). I thought "After all the hype, that's what they came up with?". Ah...the front end, I thought Lexus finally got their sense of humor with that one. Who does something like that to 50-60k car, I thought. One week prior to buying one, I saw a silver one in DC right next to me and thought, OMG look at the wheel gap on that car???

Now that I drive one, I understand the hype, it is a GREAT car. All cars have minor things to pick on but this car does almost everything so well. I love driving it. But I have to say, I do not love being seen in it. Car has dynamics that will shame most other competitors. But it looks almost like a supped up Camry by a designer who used to be rice boy...someone who might have his own style but doesn't quite get it. Like putting on ultra wide tires that stick out from the fender, maybe huge wheel gap was an attractive option to the designers and engineers.

Such a shame though, for a such great car. I may not be majority. But when I used to drive other brand, I used to laugh at GS's look and its drivers with bad taste. If other luxury brand drivers feel similar, what could be a sales hit, may not turn out to be such hit.
the front really isn't a issue, most people don't like it but it looks much nicer when you vinyl or plasti dip the middle bumper. Looks a lot more complete
Old 01-24-14, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
But when I used to drive other brand, I used to laugh at GS's look and its drivers with bad taste.
Quite frankly, I may see cars that I don't care for the looks of...but to laugh at people or look at anyone with bad taste because of the styling of their car is pretty juvenile IMHO.

I quite honestly couldn't care less what someone else thinks about me or my car. If you do...Im sad for you.
Old 01-27-14, 11:53 AM
gs350fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mush
bought a FRS on 6-24-13 to replace my daily drive 2007 Camry SE.

[skipped]

after driving the FRS for a few days the GS feels like a boat! thats both good and bad haha
Just curious, did you drive a "GS-boat" in Sport S+ mode or in Normal/ECO mode? In Sport S+ mode I wouldn't say it feels like a boat at all If you're talking about Normal mode, then, compared to FR-S, I would agree, it's not going to be that sharp.

Let's see some numbers regarding being a "boat", shall we?

2013 Scion FR-S:

MT FIGURE EIGHT
25.9 sec @ 0.67 g (avg)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html

-------

2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport :

MT FIGURE EIGHT
25.7 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

But you found your "soul-mate" and that's cool. Congrats!
Old 01-27-14, 01:17 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350fs
Just curious, did you drive a "GS-boat" in Sport S+ mode or in Normal/ECO mode? In Sport S+ mode I wouldn't say it feels like a boat at all If you're talking about Normal mode, then, compared to FR-S, I would agree, it's not going to be that sharp.

Let's see some numbers regarding being a "boat", shall we?

2013 Scion FR-S:

MT FIGURE EIGHT
25.9 sec @ 0.67 g (avg)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html

-------

2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport :

MT FIGURE EIGHT
25.7 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

But you found your "soul-mate" and that's cool. Congrats!
It is still a boat compared to the FR-S... completely different cars.
Old 01-27-14, 04:48 PM
gs350fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lamar411
It is still a boat compared to the FR-S... completely different cars.
Well, it depends on what you put in the term "a boat"
Yes, it is bigger, but cornering is pretty good in Sport S+ mode, IMO.
Old 01-27-14, 05:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck with your new purchase.
I can't agree with the front looking like an Accord but the rear definitely looks like a Sonata. I've said that for quite awhile.
I also feel the exterior is kind of bland.
However the interior is fabulous and the ride quality is very nice too.
Old 01-27-14, 09:28 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by gs350fs
Well, it depends on what you put in the term "a boat"
Yes, it is bigger, but cornering is pretty good in Sport S+ mode, IMO.
Naw, it's a boat. It's a good handling boat, but still a boat. One of my other vehicles is an S2000. My brother has a BRZ (the Subie version of the FRS). When it comes to handling, the GS can't hang with any of those cars. My GS is about 3-4 seconds slower at autox than my S. Now that doesn't mean the GS is bad. Afterall, for a nearly two-ton vehicle, the GS handles exceptionally well. And it holds the family in comfort on long trips. Fast while smooth is a GS trait.

But let's not kid ourselves... it's a boat.
Old 01-27-14, 09:30 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joeb427
...the interior is fabulous and the ride quality is very nice too.
Those are the two main reasons I bought this car!
Old 01-28-14, 06:08 AM
scham21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior makes a big difference

What type of interior do you have?? I got in a F Sport once and the interior seemed so bland you couldnt even tell it was the same car as my luxury model GS. The peanut butter and red interior really set the car off.
Attached Thumbnails goodbye GS350 F Sport-lx-.jpg  
Old 01-28-14, 09:40 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to get a 86 as well for DD, I see you got the series 10 edition how do you like it. And for the guy that posted figure 8 times you gotta know that the gs is running decent tires while the frs is on some cheap prius tires and it got similar times, I track a lot with my gs and I have a hard time playing catch up with a 86.