GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The Fate of the GS-350 Supercharged F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 12:13 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Fate of the GS-350 Supercharged F-Sport?

Hey gang, I was excited to see some press stuff on this car that was shown at the fall SEMA show, and Lexus even had a press release. All sorts of goodies from Vossen, PTS, RSR, WALD, Apexi, etc.

Anybody know if the project was cancelled or?? here is the link for the Lexus press release:
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...+gs+fsport.htm
Thanks.
Old 06-27-13, 01:31 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to APEXI, the supercharger was removed because the tune didn't work out right with the direct injection. I understand the car is owned by an indivdual in Southern CA and is being used on another project.

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Hey gang, I was excited to see some press stuff on this car that was shown at the fall SEMA show, and Lexus even had a press release. All sorts of goodies from Vossen, PTS, RSR, WALD, Apexi, etc.

Anybody know if the project was cancelled or?? here is the link for the Lexus press release:
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...+gs+fsport.htm
Thanks.
Old 06-27-13, 02:18 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I think that's there way of saying, it ****ed up the car. Lexus already squeezed out as much HP as they could and compression is already high at 11.8 : 1 ... I can't imagine running say 13+ : 1 on a stock engine.

Been there done that with after market FI and although cool and fun, often creates more issues than it is worth.
Old 06-27-13, 06:04 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Okay. Bummer. Well, thank you for the replies, folks.
Old 06-27-13, 10:22 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Over in Japan, they successfully got a Modellista supercharger on the same 2GR-FSE engine in the Toyota Crown which was factory warrantied.

The difference is that it was an officially sanctioned supercharger and Toyota allowed Modellista access to their ecu/engine codes so that getting the supercharger to work with the engine was easier.

Last edited by natnut; 06-28-13 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-27-13, 11:31 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^ Search the original post. Same supercharger kit than was in the IS350, and ISC Vip Autosalon did. Same engine, same kit, same problems with no tune etc...
Old 06-28-13, 12:08 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by natnut
Over in Japan, they successfully got a Modellista supercharger on the same 2GR-FSE engine in the Toyota Crown which as factory warrantied.

The difference is that it was an officially sanctioned supercharger and Toyota allowed Modellista access to their ecu/engine codes so that getting the supercharger to work with the engine was easier.
That would stand to reason. Hope Lexus decides to do the same, and follow through on the GS-350.
Old 03-19-14, 05:10 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 gs350

Fellas:
We haven't heard anything new about a Supercharger or Turbo kit for the 2013 + Gs350 yet have we?

I just bought mine and am very annoyed with this low torque (1600-2600 r.p.m.) problem it inherited from the 3rd Gen car. it's worse in traffic. Does anyone know if this is isolated to AWD cars?
Old 03-20-14, 03:13 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know why everyone is so upset about the low torque. These cars love high revs and that is where they show their true spirit. Take it out on a track or a beautiful canyon and put it through its paces, you'll realize that it is not as underpowered as you think.
Old 03-21-14, 05:25 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXSTASY
I dont know why everyone is so upset about the low torque. These cars love high revs and that is where they show their true spirit. Take it out on a track or a beautiful canyon and put it through its paces, you'll realize that it is not as underpowered as you think.
The low torque is an issue in metro traffic where you're keeping up with guy infront; otherwise the guy on your side has taken your spot.

Also, I've got an AWD which you might not, so the gears are constantly shifting.
Old 03-21-14, 05:59 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSTASY
I dont know why everyone is so upset about the low torque.
I wonder if it's really about torque, or about throttle calibration? I find with the GS gas pedal that is hinged from the floor, and the way it's mapped, it's a very easy car to drive smoothly because the gas pedal response is quite soft. I like that, but it does mean I have to push the pedal harder than I'm used to from other cars, to accelerate normally.

Short version: if the car feels slow but the pedal is not all the way to the floor, lack of torque is not the cause, the throttle feel is.
Old 03-21-14, 08:03 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
I wonder if it's really about torque, or about throttle calibration? I find with the GS gas pedal that is hinged from the floor, and the way it's mapped, it's a very easy car to drive smoothly because the gas pedal response is quite soft. I like that, but it does mean I have to push the pedal harder than I'm used to from other cars, to accelerate normally.

Short version: if the car feels slow but the pedal is not all the way to the floor, lack of torque is not the cause, the throttle feel is.
+1 I agree although I love the gas pedal being on the floor vs hanging, I do agree that the pedal feel requires a little more pressure to get it going but this has always been a Lexus thing.
Old 03-21-14, 08:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
I wonder if it's really about torque, or about throttle calibration? I find with the GS gas pedal that is hinged from the floor, and the way it's mapped, it's a very easy car to drive smoothly because the gas pedal response is quite soft. I like that, but it does mean I have to push the pedal harder than I'm used to from other cars, to accelerate normally. Short version: if the car feels slow but the pedal is not all the way to the floor, lack of torque is not the cause, the throttle feel is.
I love the way the throttle is mapped. My sister has a TSX and it's like learning to drive a manual! The throttle is so so sensitive you jerk around a lot until you get used to it.
Old 03-21-14, 10:29 AM
UCF3
Rookie

It could be mapping, sure! I am leaning toward torque or perhaps calibration since it's obvious between 1600-2800 RPMs. Heck, it might be a clutch issue as well. I know my 06 GS300 AWD had the same issue but when I compare it to the Infiniti G35/M35 (X-versions) it's pretty obvious something is going on with Lexus transmission or differentials.

Love to hear if anyone has a solution, tuning etc.
Old 03-21-14, 11:18 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by UCF3
It could be mapping, sure! I am leaning toward torque or perhaps calibration since it's obvious between 1600-2800 RPMs. Heck, it might be a clutch issue as well. I know my 06 GS300 AWD had the same issue but when I compare it to the Infiniti G35/M35 (X-versions) it's pretty obvious something is going on with Lexus transmission or differentials. Love to hear if anyone has a solution, tuning etc.
Have you looked into the apexi throttle controller? It would give you instantaneous throttle response when you want it.

Quick Reply: The Fate of the GS-350 Supercharged F-Sport?