Goes a Vinyl Roof effect GPS tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 09:47 AM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a Vinyl Roof effect GPS tracking

To all,
I recently took my 2013 GS F Sport into the dealer because I was losing GPS tracking while driving. It would occasionally think it was on a different road and then get all lost.

The dealer is saying that it is due to the black vinyl wrap on the roof and that the fin is covered. I then told then I've seen GS's on their showroom that have the roofs wrap. They said they would have to call me back.... 5 minutes later the service rep calls back and says they paint the fins and the problems must be that mine is wrapped.

I was under the impression that the GPS tracking was in the dash and the Satellite antenna was in the shark fin. Is that incorrect?

Now they want to charge me $150 to get to the fin to see if it is plugged in! If it is plugged in then they will try another solution.

Any ideas of where the problem is coming from ???

Last edited by DUFF Ace; 07-16-14 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 10:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

BS I had the same issue happen numerous times and it was before I had my roof vinyled so tell them they need to find a legit answer cause that's not the reason.
Old 07-01-14, 10:33 AM
lazerlazer
Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
BS I had the same issue happen numerous times and it was before I had my roof vinyled so tell them they need to find a legit answer cause that's not the reason.
What did they do to fix your problem?
Old 07-01-14, 12:55 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on when you bought your car and how new the roads are there, you may just need a nav system update. When the roads change and your burned-to-the-hard-drive nav unit software doesn't, it WILL get lost and act up.

I bought my car last August and have been driving the same stretch of a tollway here in north texas for a few years. The first time I went down that stretch in my new 2013, it freaked out at a certain point. I guess maybe 5-6 years ago that stretch of the tollway wasn't there. I reviewed what the update contains, and sure enough, that road is in the update. Had I known their release schedule (and the problem) I would have had the dealer promise a free update, at this point it's too expensive to care about. I know where I'm at and where I'm going.
Old 07-02-14, 04:09 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
What did they do to fix your problem?
They didnt find a fix it, I gave up on it.
Old 07-02-14, 04:29 AM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
They didnt find a fix it, I gave up on it.
So your navigation does work?

I try and recalibrate mine from the menu screens and then it will loose track within the next day or so. Once that happens the car still changes positions but it's no where close to being accurate on the map.

The dealership said they are going to check to see if the shark fin plugged in because they think that is the problem. I disagree because the Sat Radio works and I thought the GPS was near the front windshield in the dash.

I recently had the lights SUNTEK Tint put on the front windshield. That wouldn't cause any issues would it?
Old 07-02-14, 07:22 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by DUFF Ace
So your navigation does work?

I try and recalibrate mine from the menu screens and then it will loose track within the next day or so. Once that happens the car still changes positions but it's no where close to being accurate on the map.

The dealership said they are going to check to see if the shark fin plugged in because they think that is the problem. I disagree because the Sat Radio works and I thought the GPS was near the front windshield in the dash.

I recently had the lights SUNTEK Tint put on the front windshield. That wouldn't cause any issues would it?
Yeah it works now with no issue's but it does it from time to time, in other words it has its own moments. I have my phone as my back-up during trips. I can't recall where the GPS module is but I believe it is in the back.
Old 07-16-14, 06:07 PM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

So I got my car back late last week. They replaced the radio... Still didn't work. Then they said the antenna within the shark fin was broken and it was probably done when they installed the black vinyl roof. I'm still convinced that the gps antennas not in the shark fin... Maybe I'm wrong.

They removed the black vinyl on the shark fin and said I can't put vinyl on it without effecting the signaling. They said I should spray paint it matte black!? At this point I just said ok to get my car back.

Now I have this white shark fin that is an eyesore. I want this fixed. Please tell me I can vinyl this piece in gloss black to match the rest of the roof.

I also have a beat sonic bypass waiting to be installed but scared it is going to jack up the radio.
Old 07-17-14, 03:22 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by DUFF Ace
So I got my car back late last week. They replaced the radio... Still didn't work. Then they said the antenna within the shark fin was broken and it was probably done when they installed the black vinyl roof. I'm still convinced that the gps antennas not in the shark fin... Maybe I'm wrong.

They removed the black vinyl on the shark fin and said I can't put vinyl on it without effecting the signaling. They said I should spray paint it matte black!? At this point I just said ok to get my car back.

Now I have this white shark fin that is an eyesore. I want this fixed. Please tell me I can vinyl this piece in gloss black to match the rest of the roof.

I also have a beat sonic bypass waiting to be installed but scared it is going to jack up the radio.
Yes you can. I have it on my GS maybe the guy did mess up when he did it but I have it and right now it works fine haven't had a problem in a while.