GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Musty smell out vents on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 02:53 PM
leroycjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musty smell out vents on start up

Anyone getting a sour, moldy, or musty smell when the car starts and the air is pushed out the front vents. I know its getting hot and humid here in midwest but kind of started before and smell got gradually worst with humidity. It goes away in like 15 seconds but its a pain to have a new/used care and it smell like a 16 year boy when you start up. Though the AC filter might be moldy or has some funk on it.
Old 06-25-13, 03:18 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Bought mine in May of last year, but thankfully I don't have that problem.

I had it with my old car, a 2000 Dodge Neon. Stunk to the high heavens, so I can empathize.

I'd let the dealer fix it.
Old 06-25-13, 03:19 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leroycjr
Anyone getting a sour, moldy, or musty smell when the car starts and the air is pushed out the front vents. I know its getting hot and humid here in midwest but kind of started before and smell got gradually worst with humidity. It goes away in like 15 seconds but its a pain to have a new/used care and it smell like a 16 year boy when you start up. Though the AC filter might be moldy or has some funk on it.
I don't know what a 16 year old boy smells like but I do smell something from the vents too. I'm not sure what it is. I'm glad you started the thread though. I hope a solution arise.
Old 06-25-13, 05:36 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This happens when you stop the engine with the AC running. Do this over a number of times and the residual condensation start to smell.

What I do w all my cars is to shut off the AC a few blocks before my destination and let normal air circulate thru the cabin/ AC filter. Try it at least once in a while to see if it helps. I do this 90% of the time and none of my cars smell.
Old 06-25-13, 06:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mso4
This happens when you stop the engine with the AC running. Do this over a number of times and the residual condensation start to smell.

What I do w all my cars is to shut off the AC a few blocks before my destination and let normal air circulate thru the cabin/ AC filter. Try it at least once in a while to see if it helps. I do this 90% of the time and none of my cars smell.
Awesome! Thanks. Will try.
Old 06-25-13, 06:49 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I basically turn the circulation to outside from recirc as per the manual to prevent musty odor build up when starting the car again. it worked for me.
Old 06-25-13, 07:22 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I basically turn the circulation to outside from recirc as per the manual to prevent musty odor build up when starting the car again. it worked for me.
Yes when the car stays in recirc mode when it's shut off and again still in recirc mode when it's turned on again. That's when you get the smell. This circumstance occurs usually when the AC is on. Without AC the car is usually not in recirc mode.

So I guess the AC can still be on when you shut down the car as long as you switch it out of recirc mode and let some fresh air through the system prior to you arriving at your destination and shutting down your car. On my car when I shut off the AC it automatically goes out of recirc mode.

I like shutting off AC before coming home because I think it also minimizes condensations that drips from the car after you shut off the car. I don't like water dripping and forming a puddle in my garage.

Last edited by mso4; 06-25-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 07:57 AM
leroycjr
Driver School Candidate

I took it to the dealer for oil change and told them about it. When I returned they stated the treated the AC with a spray to clean up anything build up in the system. When i started there was no smell and again this morning there was no smell after sitting off in the heat.
Old 06-27-13, 08:00 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not turn off the A/C here in Houston at all (except for that one week of winter we get). It is not norrmal for there to be a musty smell if the cold air box drains properly.. IJS
Old 06-27-13, 09:26 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took it to the dealer for oil change and told them about it. When I returned they stated the treated the AC with a spray to clean up anything build up in the system. When i started there was no smell and again this morning there was no smell after sitting off in the heat.
Toyota/Lexus selling the AC conditioner treatment kit for about $20, you can spray directly to the blower where the cabin filter sit. IMO it only last couple weeks.
Old 06-27-13, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Shutting the AC off every time is a PITA. You did the right thing by taking it back...
Old 06-27-13, 11:00 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

They could have used neverwet in areas where moisture could collect.
Old 08-29-13, 05:55 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

How's this issue going with everyone? I just hit 12,000 miles and my a/c is starting to get worse and worse. I just replaced the cabin filter with no impact. I have owned many cars and never had this issue. It is quite embarrassing to get a puff of curry and jockstrap every time you turn on your car. I'm curious if there is a fix out there. Shutting the a/c off prior to parking is not an option and a complete inconvenience.
Old 08-29-13, 07:06 AM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I would not turn off the A/C here in Houston at all (except for that one week of winter we get). It is not norrmal for there to be a musty smell if the cold air box drains properly.. IJS
Lol that's what I was thinking. I can't even sit in car for more than 2 mins in the garage without the AC on. Houston is hell light and I've never had that issue with any car and I've never turned off the AC before turning off the vehicle.
Old 08-29-13, 07:20 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I remember having an unpleasant smell in the morning a few months after I got it. It was so bad that I had to guide the blow away from me. It lasted a while then went away. I have AC on and keep inside circulation on all the time and haven't changed anything. I'm not sure what made it disappear. Me thinking maybe something was new and during "the burning in process" created this unpleasant smell. In any way, I'm glad it's not there anymore.
Very interesting point about circulating air from the outside in... My wife is very sensitive to smell. She can immediately tell when the air gets in. We rented the new GL for our last trip. She asked why I let the outside air in. I knew that I didn't. So we paid attention... After a while the GL will automatically switch to let outside air circulated in. I'm not sure if this is by design or malfunction. We had to keep switching it back to inside circ only.

Quick Reply: Musty smell out vents on start up