GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 09:17 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I ran regular in my 2010 ES that called for Premium also, but I run premium in the GS. The GS is higher performance, direct injected...I paid a premium for the vehicle over a more economically minded purchase like an ES or Avalon...so I give it the fuel it asks for.
When the ES went from recommending 91 to 87, the HP went from 272 to 268. When I was working in South Dakota, Wyoming, western Nebraska some stations sold 85 octane gas. All of those areas were over 4000ft elevation.
Old 10-13-14, 12:23 AM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always used mid grade on my GS (89)
Old 11-20-14, 07:22 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In New Jersey and Pennsylvania with an 2013 AWD can anybody tell me what milage per gallon I should expect? Will be driving mainly on route 78 to and from Pennsylvania to Jersey City- thanks
Old 11-21-14, 10:36 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmila19
In New Jersey and Pennsylvania with an 2013 AWD can anybody tell me what milage per gallon I should expect? Will be driving mainly on route 78 to and from Pennsylvania to Jersey City- thanks
If you drive an fsport awd then you might get around 20mpg If you have the luxury version of the car you might get slightly better like 22mpg. This is combined mpgs. I get about 24mpg but i have a RWD luxury version with 8speed tranny.
Old 11-22-14, 11:09 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbradleysd
I always used mid grade on my GS (89)
GS disrespect.
Old 11-22-14, 01:31 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Top Tier Premium (91), as specified on the gas cap. (e.g. Arco, Chevron, Shell, 76)
Old 11-22-14, 04:32 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^
Speaking about Top Tier gas, Costco Canada has applied for top tier gas status! Where I live their premium is usually about 20 cents a gallon cheaper on a consistent basis.

Wonder if they will change suppliers? Or does their current supplier already deliver Top Tier fuel, but they just don't have the designation yet?
Old 02-24-16, 09:11 PM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Toronto area, premium costs 75cents more than regular per gallon and you can now see why I am reluctant to be price discriminated against.

As long as engine knock sensor is reliable I see no problem putting in regular. How many times do you really get to use all that power in the engine when traffic jams are all over the place? I only put premium when I travel to the States where premium gas is priced more reasonably and I know I will be driving long stretches of highway without jams.
Old 02-25-16, 07:58 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Premium in the Chicago area has jumped to at least 60 cents more and many stations are 90 cents to a dollar more here
Old 02-25-16, 08:15 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cathy
In the Toronto area, premium costs 75cents more than regular per gallon and you can now see why I am reluctant to be price discriminated against.

As long as engine knock sensor is reliable I see no problem putting in regular. How many times do you really get to use all that power in the engine when traffic jams are all over the place? I only put premium when I travel to the States where premium gas is priced more reasonably and I know I will be driving long stretches of highway without jams.
Yep it is quite pricey for premium up here.

Costco as mentioned is awesome, 91 octane for 3 cents more than the neigbouring gas stations sell regular for.

If you notice in the states, some pumps have "93 octane" and some are "91 octane". and 91 costs more. this is because 93 octane in NY include 10-15% ethanol, where 91 octane is zero ethanol, which is better for your engine (long term) and you return better MPG. So you are not really comparing apples to apples.
Old 02-25-16, 09:32 AM
dman3626
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Petroleum is at an overall low, I'm surprised this conversation hasn't died off by now. I do understand the varying prices regionally but gas in general is much less now that is has been or ever will be in the future. I like to think of using premium as cheap insurance for a complicated machine I've invested a lot of money into. Our 3.5 2gr-fse is a high compression motor, using regular will cause some minor pinging and/or pre-detonation due to the advanced timing our cars have. If I wanted to use 87 or 89 octane I would have bought a decked out Camry which has a lower compression 3.5 liter v6. ( FSE's 11.8:1 VS FE's 10.8:1) Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-16, 08:14 AM
Nismo
Rookie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GregCanada
If you notice in the states, some pumps have "93 octane" and some are "91 octane". and 91 costs more. this is because 93 octane in NY include 10-15% ethanol, where 91 octane is zero ethanol, which is better for your engine (long term) and you return better MPG.
Octane rating and ethanol content are separate things.

Before it leaves a refinery, every batch of gasoline has to meet certain technical specifications and pass several lab tests. Some of that testing is for octane--the measure of a fuel's ability to resist igniting prematurely in a spark-ignition engine. The octane rating of a fuel is based entirely on those lab tests, and the tests do not care what molecules (benzene, toluene, cyclohexane, butane, ethanol, etc.) are in the fuel.

Octane requirements change with altitude, so an engine that requires 93 octane at sea level may only require 91 at higher elevations. Customer don't want to pay for (and so refiners don't want to make) a higher octane fuel than what is required. The reason some stations sell 91 and others 93 is due to altitude, not ethanol.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) requires transportation fuel sold in the United States to contain a minimum volume of renewable fuels. The law is complicated, but in short what it means is that your gasoline may (and probably does) contain up to 10% ethanol.

Compared to clear gasoline (i.e. gasoline without ethanol), ethanol has a higher octane rating, a lower energy density, and it can damage components not specifically designed for it, such as the fuel system in many older vehicles. Because of ethanol's higher octane rating, it can be blended with gasoline to achieve a higher octane rating than the gasoline without the ethanol.

When the RFS first went into effect, refiners were making gasoline under the assumption that it would be sold without ethanol. Once blended with ethanol, however, the gasohol (E10 gasoline) actually had a higher octane rating than the minimum rating shown on the sticker at the pump. This is commonly called 'octane giveaway' and is obviously not the most economical way to run a business. Today, since almost all gasoline sold in the U.S. is E10, most refiners make a slightly lower octane gasoline than they used to, but once blended with 10% ethanol, the octane jumps up to the required spec.
Old 03-09-16, 05:05 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Costco premium all day...
Old 03-09-16, 05:21 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I use Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gas in my GS
Old 06-22-16, 03:15 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting...

Quick Reply: 4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)