Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Old 06-22-13, 08:35 PM   #106
Stew4HD
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
Maybe I can get some extra torque out of diesel. Gonna fill her up right now!
I hear it really makes you go fast~!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 AM   #107
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Ryan Summers

That's funny about the diesel...I hope you're kidding, though. I always use higher grade fuel in everything, it's just a habit. At least in a nice vehicle with a modern engine. And SNiiP3R, I did read through your post again...in fact your last reply was directly after another person who also quoted you on the regular fuel statement...I don't know if you're leasing or not and I don't mean to judge or anything like that. All I'll say is, I would always use higher octane fuel in a vehicle like a GS just because it is worth taking that extra care of and, like I said, it's a habit.
hopVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:53 AM   #108
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I was kidding.. just wanted to make the thread light
Old 06-24-13, 09:54 AM   #109
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Ryan Summers

It worked...that was funny
hopVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 11:21 AM   #110
SNiiP3R
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopVIP View Post
That's funny about the diesel...I hope you're kidding, though. I always use higher grade fuel in everything, it's just a habit. At least in a nice vehicle with a modern engine. And SNiiP3R, I did read through your post again...in fact your last reply was directly after another person who also quoted you on the regular fuel statement...I don't know if you're leasing or not and I don't mean to judge or anything like that. All I'll say is, I would always use higher octane fuel in a vehicle like a GS just because it is worth taking that extra care of and, like I said, it's a habit.
No problem. I'm not leasing, that's why I only put premium. If I did not plan to drive the car for more than 2 years, another words If I would be leasing it, then I would probably not care about the gas much. Many friends I know who lease their cars, put regular only
SNiiP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 06:54 PM   #111
XBimR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA1951 View Post
I just find it interesting that people spend $10000 or more extra to buy a nice car and then don't want to spend the extra couple of bucks on premium. In the Chicago area we are getting raped for premium because most stations don't post premium prices and they are now 40-60 cents more than regular. But when you add up the difference each fill up it is less than $10 a week so over a year isn't it worth $500 to have more performance. And this doesn't even account for the better gas mileage with premium, which most studies say is a benefit.
Sucks to have that big of a gap between reg and prem.

In my range in the Bay Area the gap is $0.17, so a no brainer to use the good stuff.
XBimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 08:29 PM   #112
yardie876
Lexus Champion

yardie7326

There's an average $.50 price difference here in S. Fla. I still wouldn't dare put anything other than premium in it.
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 10:35 AM   #113
bigblack06
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

Premium and that's all I would use since the car demands it, I have found (when I used a loaner) that when I put regular the gas range is shorter because the only way for the car to be efficient is to put the gas that is required or you will get less gas so in other words you will be paying the same for premium because you will need to refill quicker.

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Rear Traffic/30%Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/Lexon Front and Side Skirt/More To Come

Lexus GS 450h 2007 SOLD http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...450h-9909.html
bigblack06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 01:17 PM   #114
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Question for you...your experience about the gas range being shorter, is that because you filled the car up with regular and drove the whole tank range, or are you looking at the range the trip computer calculates when you fill it up before you turn the loaner back in?

The trip computer range has a lot of variables, thats not really evidence that regular fuel provides a longer range.

I was always a huge proponent of premium fuels, and then at the urging of my mechanic I stopped using premium in my 2010 ES and honestly saw absolutely no difference.

That said, I do use Premium in the GS because it is a higher performance motor, direct injection, etc, I have no plans to go to regular.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 10:19 PM   #115
bigblack06
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
Question for you...your experience about the gas range being shorter, is that because you filled the car up with regular and drove the whole tank range, or are you looking at the range the trip computer calculates when you fill it up before you turn the loaner back in?

The trip computer range has a lot of variables, thats not really evidence that regular fuel provides a longer range.

I was always a huge proponent of premium fuels, and then at the urging of my mechanic I stopped using premium in my 2010 ES and honestly saw absolutely no difference.

That said, I do use Premium in the GS because it is a higher performance motor, direct injection, etc, I have no plans to go to regular.
This was an RX and the car was driven to near empty and then refilled with regular gas and the range basically stayed the same. The car had super before when the car was given to me, and I didn't care what I put in it as it wasn't my car. I know that the range has different variables, I have based it on this and have noticed the same thing in my BMW the gas basically goes quicker than when using premium.

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Rear Traffic/30%Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/Lexon Front and Side Skirt/More To Come

Lexus GS 450h 2007 SOLD http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...450h-9909.html
bigblack06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 06:57 AM   #116
bob4256
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (17)

bob4256

What is the price difference per fill up with premium gas? Around $4?

If that $4 is an issue for you, then you shouldnt have bought a 50K car. Just my opinion

My Build Thread
bob4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 07:20 AM   #117
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4256 View Post
What is the price difference per fill up with premium gas? Around $4?

If that $4 is an issue for you, then you shouldnt have bought a 50K car. Just my opinion
thanks
Old 06-27-13, 08:04 AM   #118
XBimR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack06 View Post
This was an RX and the car was driven to near empty and then refilled with regular gas and the range basically stayed the same. The car had super before when the car was given to me, and I didn't care what I put in it as it wasn't my car. I know that the range has different variables, I have based it on this and have noticed the same thing in my BMW the gas basically goes quicker than when using premium.
My wife has an RX, it only requires 87 so premium won't make any difference. You said it right bigblack - it wasn't your car so you didn't have to care.

If the car is yours, just use the manufacturer rated fuel, they recommend it for a reason. The computer will compensate for lower octane gas but if you plan on keeping the car don't use it too often if at all.
XBimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 11:22 AM   #119
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack06 View Post
The range doesn't know what kind of gas you put in. The range simply takes the global fuel economy, multiplies it by the number of gallons in the tank and gives you a range estimate.

On an RX especially, the engine is actually okay to run on Regular. Look at Lexus.com. Putting premium in a car designed to run on regular isn't going to improve fuel economy.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 01:56 PM   #120
zicogold
Pole Position

Quote:
On an RX especially, the engine is actually okay to run on Regular. Look at Lexus.com.
The Lexus tech rep talked about this last week and said yes Lexus does state running the RX and ES on 87 grade fuel, but he recommended 89 and even 91 grade. He said it was false economy, 87 grade fuel will yield lower hp and lower the exhaust system life. Of course if it is not your car, do what you want.

I had an Avalon and noticed that it always ran much smoother on 91 grade. I mentioned this to a friend who is an engineer with Ford and he laughed and said, "Yeah the Toyota V6 always prefers premium gas". The Av also ran better when the temperature was17 Celsius (60 F).
Old 06-27-13, 01:56 PM