GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 07:35 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Maybe I can get some extra torque out of diesel. Gonna fill her up right now!
I hear it really makes you go fast~!
Old 06-24-13, 08:51 AM
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny about the diesel...I hope you're kidding, though. I always use higher grade fuel in everything, it's just a habit. At least in a nice vehicle with a modern engine. And SNiiP3R, I did read through your post again...in fact your last reply was directly after another person who also quoted you on the regular fuel statement...I don't know if you're leasing or not and I don't mean to judge or anything like that. All I'll say is, I would always use higher octane fuel in a vehicle like a GS just because it is worth taking that extra care of and, like I said, it's a habit.
Old 06-24-13, 08:53 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I was kidding.. just wanted to make the thread light
Old 06-24-13, 08:54 AM
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

It worked...that was funny
Old 06-24-13, 10:21 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hopVIP
That's funny about the diesel...I hope you're kidding, though. I always use higher grade fuel in everything, it's just a habit. At least in a nice vehicle with a modern engine. And SNiiP3R, I did read through your post again...in fact your last reply was directly after another person who also quoted you on the regular fuel statement...I don't know if you're leasing or not and I don't mean to judge or anything like that. All I'll say is, I would always use higher octane fuel in a vehicle like a GS just because it is worth taking that extra care of and, like I said, it's a habit.
No problem. I'm not leasing, that's why I only put premium. If I did not plan to drive the car for more than 2 years, another words If I would be leasing it, then I would probably not care about the gas much. Many friends I know who lease their cars, put regular only
Old 06-25-13, 05:54 PM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I just find it interesting that people spend $10000 or more extra to buy a nice car and then don't want to spend the extra couple of bucks on premium. In the Chicago area we are getting raped for premium because most stations don't post premium prices and they are now 40-60 cents more than regular. But when you add up the difference each fill up it is less than $10 a week so over a year isn't it worth $500 to have more performance. And this doesn't even account for the better gas mileage with premium, which most studies say is a benefit.
Sucks to have that big of a gap between reg and prem.

In my range in the Bay Area the gap is $0.17, so a no brainer to use the good stuff.
Old 06-25-13, 07:29 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

There's an average $.50 price difference here in S. Fla. I still wouldn't dare put anything other than premium in it.
Old 06-26-13, 09:35 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Premium and that's all I would use since the car demands it, I have found (when I used a loaner) that when I put regular the gas range is shorter because the only way for the car to be efficient is to put the gas that is required or you will get less gas so in other words you will be paying the same for premium because you will need to refill quicker.
Old 06-26-13, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Question for you...your experience about the gas range being shorter, is that because you filled the car up with regular and drove the whole tank range, or are you looking at the range the trip computer calculates when you fill it up before you turn the loaner back in?

The trip computer range has a lot of variables, thats not really evidence that regular fuel provides a longer range.

I was always a huge proponent of premium fuels, and then at the urging of my mechanic I stopped using premium in my 2010 ES and honestly saw absolutely no difference.

That said, I do use Premium in the GS because it is a higher performance motor, direct injection, etc, I have no plans to go to regular.
Old 06-26-13, 09:19 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Question for you...your experience about the gas range being shorter, is that because you filled the car up with regular and drove the whole tank range, or are you looking at the range the trip computer calculates when you fill it up before you turn the loaner back in?

The trip computer range has a lot of variables, thats not really evidence that regular fuel provides a longer range.

I was always a huge proponent of premium fuels, and then at the urging of my mechanic I stopped using premium in my 2010 ES and honestly saw absolutely no difference.

That said, I do use Premium in the GS because it is a higher performance motor, direct injection, etc, I have no plans to go to regular.
This was an RX and the car was driven to near empty and then refilled with regular gas and the range basically stayed the same. The car had super before when the car was given to me, and I didn't care what I put in it as it wasn't my car. I know that the range has different variables, I have based it on this and have noticed the same thing in my BMW the gas basically goes quicker than when using premium.
Old 06-27-13, 05:57 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the price difference per fill up with premium gas? Around $4?

If that $4 is an issue for you, then you shouldnt have bought a 50K car. Just my opinion
Old 06-27-13, 06:20 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob4256
What is the price difference per fill up with premium gas? Around $4?

If that $4 is an issue for you, then you shouldnt have bought a 50K car. Just my opinion
thanks
Old 06-27-13, 07:04 AM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This was an RX and the car was driven to near empty and then refilled with regular gas and the range basically stayed the same. The car had super before when the car was given to me, and I didn't care what I put in it as it wasn't my car. I know that the range has different variables, I have based it on this and have noticed the same thing in my BMW the gas basically goes quicker than when using premium.
My wife has an RX, it only requires 87 so premium won't make any difference. You said it right bigblack - it wasn't your car so you didn't have to care.

If the car is yours, just use the manufacturer rated fuel, they recommend it for a reason. The computer will compensate for lower octane gas but if you plan on keeping the car don't use it too often if at all.
Old 06-27-13, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
The range doesn't know what kind of gas you put in. The range simply takes the global fuel economy, multiplies it by the number of gallons in the tank and gives you a range estimate.

On an RX especially, the engine is actually okay to run on Regular. Look at Lexus.com. Putting premium in a car designed to run on regular isn't going to improve fuel economy.
Old 06-27-13, 12:56 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On an RX especially, the engine is actually okay to run on Regular. Look at Lexus.com.
The Lexus tech rep talked about this last week and said yes Lexus does state running the RX and ES on 87 grade fuel, but he recommended 89 and even 91 grade. He said it was false economy, 87 grade fuel will yield lower hp and lower the exhaust system life. Of course if it is not your car, do what you want.

I had an Avalon and noticed that it always ran much smoother on 91 grade. I mentioned this to a friend who is an engineer with Ford and he laughed and said, "Yeah the Toyota V6 always prefers premium gas". The Av also ran better when the temperature was17 Celsius (60 F).

Quick Reply: 4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)