GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 08:49 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Probably some of these same folks make the argument they have been smoking for 30 years and haven't gotten sick......;-)
LOL, that hacking cough is allergies? Thanks for the levity!
Old 06-22-13, 09:19 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic came up in a "know your car" presentation at my dealer this week. A couple of RX350 and ES owners were saying that 87 grade is ok to use. The Lexus rep said you can use 87 but the engine will knock (not a good thing) and you will get reduced horsepower and potentially greater fuel consumption. He recommended a minimum of 89 grade for their cars and 91 preferred. He then went on to say with the direct injection engines it is really not an option and 91 grade is the fuel to use.
Old 06-22-13, 10:30 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If I were leasing my GS I would fill her up with regular gas only......
Old 06-22-13, 10:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I use 93 octane Shell fuel only.
Old 06-22-13, 10:55 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

This question came up years ago on the GX forum. I remember trying both. I did notice a slight loss of power, but no change in MPG's..

I might try it again with the GS and new GX to see if there's is a difference
Old 06-22-13, 11:17 AM
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were any of you listening to my last explanation? First of all, "If I were leasing my GS I would fill her up with regular gas only" is the dumbest statement I have ever heard and you don't deserve a Lexus. Using 93 and only from a reputable source like Shell is very good...I am exactly the same way. It all comes down to how much you care for your vehicle and how well you want it to always run. The slight loss in power and less MPG is expected from lower grades of fuel as I mentioned before. The desire to have your car running at it's best and possibly lasting longer (being stronger at the same time) comes from caring about a vehicle.
Old 06-22-13, 11:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hopVIP
Were any of you listening to my last explanation? First of all, "If I were leasing my GS I would fill her up with regular gas only" is the dumbest statement I have ever heard and you don't deserve a Lexus. Using 93 and only from a reputable source like Shell is very good...I am exactly the same way. It all comes down to how much you care for your vehicle and how well you want it to always run. The slight loss in power and less MPG is expected from lower grades of fuel as I mentioned before. The desire to have your car running at it's best and possibly lasting longer (being stronger at the same time) comes from caring about a vehicle.
I don't blame him for using regular.He's leasing.
If there are any problems using regular,they won't show up during the lease period.
I know some people that do the same thing and other things I consider abuse..
One of many reasons why I won't buy a lease turn in.
Old 06-22-13, 11:30 AM
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. That is also why I am very skeptical about buying any used vehicle. And when someone comes forward and makes a statement like that you can be sure I will never buy a vehicle he has ever had. A point I wanted to make is; if you would always give the absolute best to your daughter or your wife why would a $60K vehicle mean anything less? Not to compare a car to a family but, for those of you who care, I hope you see my point. Take care of what you have while you have it...one day you'll have a lot less and you can only hope it was cared for in its life.
Old 06-22-13, 12:23 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Probably some of these same folks make the argument they have been smoking for 30 years and haven't gotten sick......;-)
You cannot trade in your heart, lungs, etc. every five to ten years.
Old 06-22-13, 12:34 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
You cannot trade in your heart, lungs, etc. every five to ten years.
Touché......
Old 06-22-13, 05:20 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If I were leasing my GS I would fill her up with regular gas only......
Yup! What he said.
Old 06-22-13, 06:29 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

First of all, don't ever tell me what I deserve to drive, ok? Second of all, where did I say that I was filling the car with regular gas? Go back and read what I wrote.
Old 06-22-13, 06:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Saying that, Regular fuel can not harm the engine, it just isn't quite as good...that's all.
Unfortunately, this isn't true. Regular fuel can indeed harm the engine. The computer is tuned for higher compression and higher octane. Lowering octane increases the susceptibility of the fuel to knock. Knock will kill a gasoline engine, slowly over time if it is mild, quickly (within seconds) if it is bad. Luckily, engine computers know an engine is knocking and retard timing, which saves the engine by reducing power output and fuel economy.
Old 06-22-13, 06:46 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it be bad to put diesel in the F-Sport?
Old 06-22-13, 07:10 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Would it be bad to put diesel in the F-Sport?
Maybe I can get some extra torque out of diesel. Gonna fill her up right now!

Quick Reply: 4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)