GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking to move to an F-Sport from a TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 04:37 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from a TL to, the GS is a superior car, but its also significantly more expensive. I have nothing bad to say about the TL, aside from the exterior styling, which I find hideous. In terms of performance and value, the TL is a nice car. You can pick up a fully loaded one with AWD for under $40k, and its Honda bombproof.

It doesn't compare to a GS, but it costs $15k less (at least) to.
Old 06-21-13, 04:43 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
I came from a TL to, the GS is a superior car, but its also significantly more expensive. I have nothing bad to say about the TL, aside from the exterior styling, which I find hideous. In terms of performance and value, the TL is a nice car. You can pick up a fully loaded one with AWD for under $40k, and its Honda bombproof.

Thanks! My TL, fully loaded was 54K MSRP. I got it for just under 50K, the GS I am getting is only 4K more (before incentives). We haven't sat down and done the numbers, I have a locked price for the GS. I am just waiting for the TL to be repaired.
Old 06-21-13, 04:52 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Thanks! My TL, fully loaded was 54K MSRP. I got it for just under 50K, the GS I am getting is only 4K more (before incentives). We haven't sat down and done the numbers, I have a locked price for the GS. I am just waiting for the TL to be repaired.
The full sticker MSRP on a TL AWD with the Advance package is $46k. Not sure how yours was $54k, I have never seen a TL with a sticker that high, ever.
Old 06-21-13, 05:43 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

The full sticker MSRP on a TL AWD with the Advance package is $46k. Not sure how yours was $54k, I have never seen a TL with a sticker that high, ever.
The SH-AWD Advanced package when I bought mine, which was April 2011 when they first came out was 51K before I added the aero kit and remote start
Old 06-21-13, 06:25 PM
mush
Pole Position

Interested in a nebula gray and black interior?
Old 06-21-13, 07:39 PM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too came from a TL a third gen base model. This car made my tl look like a civic!
Old 06-21-13, 08:41 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

I just got my Starfire Pearl/Flaxen F-Sport a couple weeks ago and paid $53k before the $2500 rebate. These new GS's aren't moving very fast and Lexus is being aggressive with pricing at the moment. You should offer invoice and then go from there. Mine ended up being $200 above invoice but after the rebate it was well over $2k LESS than invoice!
Old 06-23-13, 01:09 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura isn't a true luxury car. I owned a TL Type S and at first I liked it. Then I had mechanical issues with tires wearing out in 10k 3 times and the manuf said this was normal, the ride was poor, and materials seems average to me. While it wasn't a terrible car, it doesn't do anything to stand out other than stand on Hondas shoulders, which isn't much these days.

This is my first Lexus, and I have the same car you're looking at now for 2 months with a black interior, but everything else. It's been a good choice. I got mine at 56k with taxes I think and did the 48 mo lease. Payments are $650/mo and I did 0 down and rolled TTL in and they covered first months payment too.
Old 06-23-13, 01:22 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Acura isn't a true luxury car. I owned a TL Type S and at first I liked it. Then I had mechanical issues with tires wearing out in 10k 3 times and the manuf said this was normal, the ride was poor, and materials seems average to me. While it wasn't a terrible car, it doesn't do anything to stand out other than stand on Hondas shoulders, which isn't much these days.

This is my first Lexus, and I have the same car you're looking at now for 2 months with a black interior, but everything else. It's been a good choice. I got mine at 56k with taxes I think and did the 48 mo lease. Payments are $650/mo and I did 0 down and rolled TTL in and they covered first months payment too.
I've owned BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, etc and ALL these high performance tires wear out fast. My average mileage on super high performance summer tire was 15,000 miles.

If you want to get at least 30-35,000 miles out of a tire switch to Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons.
I've had 4 sets of those tires on different cars and have always been pleased in the performance vs wear trade-off with these tires.

The F Sport will have the same issue around 15,000 miles. Either be prepared to pay through the nose for ultra performance tires or switch out to all season.
Old 06-23-13, 01:25 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I have 30K miles on my TL and have plenty of tread left.
Old 06-23-13, 01:59 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Exactly. My point was the manufacture and their regional rep were so full of crap, they said they eyeballed it and found nothing wrong. Basically, because I was a recent college grad then, they probably thought young kid, not worth the time.

There were other issues too where the mechanic forgot to fully secure the drivers seat to the body and I had my seat detach from the car while in a drive thru. They treated this as no big deal as well.

So it's apparent why that was my first AND LAST Acura / Honda product. Not to mention many others who I have told about that vehicle. Customer service after the fact is a big deal I believe. I would and do enjoy telling others about my experiences that are positive and recommending good products just as I like others to share with me.

Takeaway, the car is going to be a winner, no question if you buy. But dealer service has just as much influence on your enjoyment of the car. If they fight you on price now and are all about the profit, then it's likely their service will be geared similarily. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Old 06-23-13, 02:03 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Valueguy
I've owned BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, etc and ALL these high performance tires wear out fast. My average mileage on super high performance summer tire was 15,000 miles.

If you want to get at least 30-35,000 miles out of a tire switch to Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons.
I've had 4 sets of those tires on different cars and have always been pleased in the performance vs wear trade-off with these tires.

The F Sport will have the same issue around 15,000 miles. Either be prepared to pay through the nose for ultra performance tires or switch out to all season.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are what I had equipped before drive off. 30k is the expectancy on those tires. Good enough for me! But the all seasons are good too. Little less sticky, but great wear.
Old 06-23-13, 02:38 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are what I had equipped before drive off. 30k is the expectancy on those tires. Good enough for me! But the all seasons are good too. Little less sticky, but great wear.
Most people won't get 30,000 miles out of those super sport tires. In order to get 35,000 miles out of a set of tiresI needed all season tires on my cars.
Old 06-23-13, 02:45 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Exactly. My point was the manufacture and their regional rep were so full of crap, they said they eyeballed it and found nothing wrong. Basically, because I was a recent college grad then, they probably thought young kid, not worth the time.

There were other issues too where the mechanic forgot to fully secure the drivers seat to the body and I had my seat detach from the car while in a drive thru. They treated this as no big deal as well.

So it's apparent why that was my first AND LAST Acura / Honda product. Not to mention many others who I have told about that vehicle. Customer service after the fact is a big deal I believe. I would and do enjoy telling others about my experiences that are positive and recommending good products just as I like others to share with me.

Takeaway, the car is going to be a winner, no question if you buy. But dealer service has just as much influence on your enjoyment of the car. If they fight you on price now and are all about the profit, then it's likely their service will be geared similarily. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
I had a 2008 TL Type S, I bought it new and put 59k miles on it, not a single mechanical issue. My annoyance with it was the factory Brembo front brake pads. Great bite, but sucked horribly for longevity. I would get 15k miles out of them, and the replacement pads were $200......for just the pads. I eventually gave up on the OE Brembos and switched to StopTech pads.

Never had any type of mechanical issue with it though.
Old 06-23-13, 05:44 PM
Siamese
Driver School Candidate

I also came from a 2009 TL SH-AWD. At my dealership they didn't budge at all but I did get a car starter (I live in Canada) and 3M. I also didn't bargain much since this was a semi-impulse purchase. My friend had bought one upon the reveal day and I've had my eye on it since.

Things I missed:
1. The trunk detecting my key in my briefcase and popping open the trunk (I've locked my Lexus fob in the trunk a couple of times now.
2. The SH-AWD ride, amazing feel and control. Even in S+ mode, the Lexus doesn't feel as capable though I will say the bumps are much more smoothed out.
3. Built-in hard drive MP3 ripper. Even though I use my iPod, I really enjoyed HD ripper.
4. Better GPS system that allowed use while driving

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd come back to Lexus if Acura gets their styling right. The GS is definitely more sophisticated and classy but it comes with a massive price differential. It might not be worth it to you unless you're just focused on the brand. For the car itself, I've heard in reviews and forums that the TL provides a lot more bang for the buck, and after owning a GS and TL, I can attest that there is no doubt you get a lot from Acura. On the flip side, I feel Lexus treats their customers like they're 'something' which I enjoy more so than the juvenile service and staff that I dealt with at Acura. Lexus really trains their people well, though it was amusing one day when I was mistakenly taken as a car wash boy at my Lexus dealership. The Lexus 'welcomer' (sic) saw me drive in and started telling me to drive up further and asked me why I parked there. LOL. I guess I'm a young looking 33 year old.

Last edited by Siamese; 06-23-13 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to an F-Sport from a TL SH-AWD