Looking to move to an F-Sport from a TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 06:59 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Valueguy
$58,000??!! They are going to LOVE you.
Thank you! Your posts are exactly the info I was hoping to see. I had heard that Lexus won't deal and stand on the MSRP.

Sounds like $52K is around the mark I should shoot for after rebates
Old 06-21-13, 07:01 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If performance is your goal then the new Infiniti Q50 with 25 more HP and an 8 speed tranny is a better car.
For me, it is about balance between comfort, ride, handling, power, aesthetics and performance. Hence, the best cars in that category are GS 350, BMW 5, Audi A6. Now, when you factor in reliability and cost the GS 350 is the clear winner.
Old 06-21-13, 07:04 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Thank you! Your posts are exactly the info I was hoping to see. I had heard that Lexus won't deal and stand on the MSRP.

Sounds like $52K is around the mark I should shoot for after rebates
I own a 2013 RX 350. I purchased the car in the summer of 2012 (I got the first batch). I paid Invoice plus $500 for the RX 350. I could have done better but they gave me top dollar for my trade with bald tires so I took the deal.

$52,000 is a bit low but possible. $53,300 is a great deal and realistic. But, it never hurts to start at $52K.
Old 06-21-13, 07:06 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lithe
Hey Stew-just curious, what bad luck have you had with the TL?

I am comparing the GS, TL, M, and A6 as future "family" cars and am trying to eliminate contenders.

I guess off hand, the TL seems to have a better AWD system, probably less expensive too.

I'm hoping the GS (with F Sport pkg), even with AWD (a must for me), is the better handler of the two. The GS seem to be a little roomier inside, maybe better materials as well, and less road noise-not necessarily always a good thing though.

Let us know how the two measure up! Good luck shopping!
My bad luck.. had her broken in to, broken windshield, headliner, passenger window. This happened at my workplace, in the guarded parking garage, all to get my blend mounted radar detector.

Then, 2 months later, was hit in the front, left fender, crushing it. Had to fight body shop to get it right.

Now the car is in the shop due to a piece if debris flying off a garbage truck and, as luck would have it, the wood piece magically passed through a gap in the grille and pierced the AC condenser and radiator...

3 incidents in 2 years.. that started me feeling negative towards the car.. the thought of a quiet and smoother ride sounds quite appealing!
Old 06-21-13, 07:24 AM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

Wow Stew, that is bad luck! I sympathize with your misfortune but I'm glad to hear it wasn't exactly the car's fault.

I hope you get a good deal and enjoy a better experience with a GS. Glad to know Lexus dealers are willing to discount new vehicles. Anyone know if CPO or pre-owned negotiating is similar? My wife & I will probably only be looking to spend ~40K in the next couple years.

If performance is your goal then the new Infiniti Q50 with 25 more HP and an 8 speed tranny is a better car.
For me, it is about balance between comfort, ride, handling, power, aesthetics and performance. Hence, the best cars in that category are GS 350, BMW 5, Audi A6. Now, when you factor in reliability and cost the GS 350 is the clear winner.
I like the new Q50, but it's a size too small. We like the current M37x, but not in love with the look. We lean towards Infiniti/Acura/Lexus because of reliability-like you said. I'm wary of the N54 fuel pump/injector/turbo issues in the 5-series. I love the 3.0T in the A6, but it's expensive, and typical German reliability concerns.

The GS may be the best all around package. I've learned that for me, handling is equally as important as outright power. Lexus may be engineering their cars with a similar philosophy again.
Old 06-21-13, 08:38 AM
gsbo14
Driver School Candidate

hey, let me know if somehow you can get the 2500 dollar rebate! my dealer told me it's only for leasing!
Old 06-21-13, 08:40 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I think the offer is 1.9% for financing, $2500 off for leasing but I will be finding out
Old 06-21-13, 10:17 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lithe
I agree with your statement. Though exterior asthetics are subjective.

I'm one of the few people who hasn't been as hard on Acura (or Lexus for that matter) when it comes to exterior styling. I find both the TL & GS attractive. The GS is improved greatly by the F Sport pkg, IMO.

Above all, performance is my priority. I'm anxious for C&D to do a comparo with the major mid-size players. The GS lost to an A6 most recently, but the GS was without the F Sport pkg, and they still said the GS handled better. I think the active rear steer helps a lot in that regard, I wish it also came on AWD equipped cars.
It's not C&D but Motortrend did a major comparo pitting the Infiniti M37, BMW 535i, Audi A6 3.0T and GS350 F-Sport :

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html
Old 06-21-13, 11:35 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I hate to rock the boat, well no I don't. But these reviews are often paid to the highest bidder. Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt as with everything else. One reviewer will tout the Germans and bash the Japanese. Others will underhandedly bash the Japanese by calling it capable but boring.

I watched one review where they praised a lot of things about the Lexus. Bashed the Jaguar on almost everything but fit and feel. And in the end, the Jag they bashed the most was what they picked as their winner. LOL
Old 06-21-13, 12:32 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I just got back from the dealer and the test drive. It is an upgrade to the TL in about every way.. though I thought I'd feel different.
The 2500$ incentive is still in place for leasing
Old 06-21-13, 12:38 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you are the first person that i met that didnt like the TL. I found it to be far smoother and i believe that is much more powerful than the GS F-sport even in that power mode that the lexus offers. As a honda guy driving a lexus, I would stay with the acura.
Old 06-21-13, 12:42 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I never said I didn't like the TL, it is a very nice car~

My TL has a much firmer/stiffer ride and feel little bump compared to the F-Sport. The direct Injection of the GS feels peppier and has more HP than my SH-AWD. The TL has 305 HP in the 3.7L.
Old 06-21-13, 01:21 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
you are the first person that i met that didnt like the TL. I found it to be far smoother and i believe that is much more powerful than the GS F-sport even in that power mode that the lexus offers. As a honda guy driving a lexus, I would stay with the acura.
totally disagree, coming from a TL, you cannot compare the two.
Old 06-21-13, 01:25 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

^ Nexson came from a TL and knows what I mean. The GS should be what the TL aspires to be
Old 06-21-13, 01:54 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

It's not C&D but Motortrend did a major comparo pitting the Infiniti M37, BMW 535i, Audi A6 3.0T and GS350 F-Sport :

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html
Thanks for the link! I find C&D to be a little more technical in their reviews, but M/T is ok. I acknowledge every magazine/reviewer has their biases, we all do. I typically find myself agreeing with C&D most often, they try to be pretty objective, IMO. I think even they were surprised at the new IS "upsetting" the 3-series.

the M/T article was good-and they supported their decisions. The new GS might just be the one.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to an F-Sport from a TL SH-AWD