GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

XM Satellite Drop Outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 09:15 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I just activated my radio and I get dropouts near the trees. Never happened with my Acura/Honda.
Old 02-28-14, 05:23 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XM Radio Drop Outs

Found this article about XM and the repeaters they need to set up.

As most investors and consumers are aware, Sirius XM delivers content to consumers via satellite. What many are likely unaware of is the fact that the satellite signal is supplemented by a repeater network. The repeater network allows you to receive your signal in areas where the satellite signal may be weak. Areas such a cities with tall buildings need repeaters to make the service viable.

Recently there was an article published that outlined a need for Sirius XM to install 600 repeaters to supplement its service. While there will indeed be a need for repeaters, the task is nowhere near as daunting as you may have been led to believe.

http://siriusbuzz.com/siriusxm-satel...-repeaters.php
Old 03-04-14, 10:41 PM
wangster79
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Iinfiniti, I get clear reception inside my garage and haven't lost signal yet. I lose signal on the GS when I pump gas... In my experience, the satellite reception on the GS much inferior compared to that of Infiniti.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-05-14, 03:51 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wangster79
On my Iinfiniti, I get clear reception inside my garage and haven't lost signal yet. I lose signal on the GS when I pump gas... In my experience, the satellite reception on the GS much inferior compared to that of Infiniti.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using IB AutoGroup
I had the opposite experience with my Infiniti coupe - no reception in the garage, both with the OEM Bose radio w/Sirius, and when I replaced the Bose with a Pioneer Avic Z120BT. I have better reception in the garage with the Lexus ML stereo and XM.

However, I do get drop outs under trees and around tall buildings depending on time of day and angle to nearest XM satellite or repeater.
Old 05-28-14, 12:23 PM
NY07Giants
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 GS 350 Satellite Reception Issue

Hello all, can ANYONE let me know if they found a solution to this issue? I purchased the car last year and it apparently already had the tuner installed so I activated it using my existing subscription to Sirius. The radio has the SAT button and that is what I use to access the Sirius/XM receiver. In short, the reception is horrible. I constantly lose signal in places I never did in the past when using various different Sirius receivers that plug into the lighter and get mounted to the windshield (hockey puck antenna). Reception is especially horrible on roads with a lot of trees. The reception does improve in the winter (I live on East Coast in Connecticut) when the leaves fall off the trees. I never had an issue on these same roads in the past with the hockey puck antenna portable units (any time of year).

Please let me know if you can assist and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ed
Old 05-29-14, 10:54 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

XM quality is so bad it sounds like a Real Audio 56k stream from 1998. I pretty much hate it, it's an insult to my ears, and not every station is equally bad. Pandora or my iPod usually win.
Old 05-30-14, 07:08 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

For me it's fine when the signal does not drop. Unfortunately, I am losing the signal under tree cover, and every overpass on highways. Love the content choices on XM, but the delivery sucks quite frankly.
Old 09-09-14, 12:59 PM
NY07Giants
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 GS 350 satellite signal issue - SOLVED

Okay, it is solved for me anyway. I posted earlier that my 2007 GS 350 with Nav and ML had "terrible" satellite reception. It seems that not everybody had this issue but for those of us that do, the issue may be the receiver that was installed by the dealer. Not sure if it is defective or substandard but I finally broke down and purchased the receiver made by iSimple for Lexus vehicles with the AM/SAT button and viola. Once installed, I once again experienced the typical reception which drops out in the usual places as opposed to everyplace. Before swapping receivers I was just about to cancel my subscription and load up the old iPod with music because I couldn't take the dropouts anymore.

This is the kit I purchased for 179.99 on eBay:

iSimple IS-TY12 Toyota Scion Lexus W/ SXV200V1 Satellite Radio Kit Aux Input PKG

I also picked up the cable that let me connect to the Shark Fin antenna

FYI - The unit installed by the dealer was located in the trunk on passenger side (mounted to the top of the inside) and was made by Pioneer.

Hope this is helpful to somebody!!
Old 09-09-14, 02:02 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. My 3 month trial is up and the crap you have to go through with Sirius to get a decent rate is hardly worth the trouble. I only listen to a couple stations and noticed the reception was has gotten worse, alone with the loss of signal around trees. Interesting this topic comes up now. Our quality of sound is so much better with bluetooth from the IPhone. Hearing that many of you are experiencing poor signals as well, I may have my answer. I doubt it is our receivers. It sounds more likely the quality of the transmission is degrading.
Old 09-09-14, 02:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

When my trial is up I'm just going to get the music only and traffic for $15/month. Those are the only ones I need anyway and the quality seems to be the same, I go under a bridge for a while it cuts off, but surprisingly it works inside a multi-level parking structure, not underground though.

Oh traffic is good for 1 year, so music only for me for $10/month.
Old 09-09-14, 03:46 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Poor sound quality is the reason I didn't subscribe to Sirius once the free trial ended. Every station sounded like an overly-compressed MP3, though some were worse than others. The lady who phoned trying to sell me a subscription said she had never heard of that issue before and maybe it was the sound system in the car that just wasn't very good!

Considering that every other audio source (besides AM radio) sounds wonderful, and everyone else's car I've listened to Sirius in lately sounded just as bad as my GS, I think they have a problem with not enough bandwidth for the number of channels they're trying to cram onto their radio spectrum.
Old 09-09-14, 03:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

HD Radio sounds better I think!
Old 09-11-14, 11:01 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
HD Radio sounds better I think!
An old cassette tape would sound better. The only advantages XM/Sirius has are availability (same station uninterrupted coast to coast) and variety. Quality is junk, reception is spotty, pricing is madness.

I had them renew only traffic data and stock info/gas prices. When you have an audiophile quality ML system in your car, XM is like stabbing your eardrums with icepicks.
Old 09-11-14, 08:14 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

The reception for xm on this car sucks/ is horrible, it drops out when I just pass through tress. My Acura had much better reception. You think with 7 extra years of technology the reception would get better.
Old 09-11-14, 08:33 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My radio skips from channel 03 to 06. Is this the case for everyone?

Quick Reply: XM Satellite Drop Outs