GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Beware of Valero Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 08:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
You also want to be sure and occasionally redline the engine heavily from a stop. You will see a large light black soot blow out the back which is carbon buildup being blown out.

It's funny how those who push their engines hard more frequently have fewer issues. I'm not saying you do or don't, but it's worth doing off and on. Plus it's fun.
Well then my engine should be squeaky clean then.
Hope everything works out for you dj.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-18-13, 08:12 AM
FPSee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larryinWA
I've been using Costco gas. It's reported to be good quality. Anyone know who makes it for Costco? Other than that, I prefer Chevron.
honestly, ive heard its in the same tier as arco gas
Old 06-18-13, 09:02 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should get her back today, fingers crossed. The good news for me is that I never keep a car longer than two years (I always have these great plans for cars but end up averaging a different car every 18 months) and this is a lease so I am not extremely worried about it.

My service advisor mentioned to me about getting on my car as well. I assured him that is not an issue!
I definitely take my car through its paces on a regular basis.

I will keep you guys posted to what I find out.
Old 06-18-13, 06:42 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Mobil gas is the best one I have used on my cars. They get better gas mileage compared to cheaper gas station brands and do not have more than 10% ethanol in their fuel. More ethanol in cheaper gas station brands lead to increase carbon build up.
Old 06-18-13, 07:47 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Mobil gas is the best one I have used on my cars. They get better gas mileage compared to cheaper gas station brands and do not have more than 10% ethanol in their fuel. More ethanol in cheaper gas station brands lead to increase carbon build up.
100% false. Ethanol has less BTUs than gasoline but burns much cleaner. It is added to gasoline for emissions purposes because it burns cleaner than gasoline. The flame from pure alcohol is invisible to the naked eye. Burn gasoline and watch all the carbon and soot leftover.
Old 06-18-13, 07:56 PM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by Outrage
Carbon deposits on the spark plug electrodes are typically caused by an air/fuel mixture which is too rich or spark plugs which are too cold.
This is the most factual of statements. Rich mixture will cause extra carbon buildup. Lean mixture will cause the plugs to look white.
Old 06-18-13, 08:01 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by praetor
100% false. Ethanol has less BTUs than gasoline but burns much cleaner. It is added to gasoline for emissions purposes because it burns cleaner than gasoline. The flame from pure alcohol is invisible to the naked eye. Burn gasoline and watch all the carbon and soot leftover.
My fault, I meant that more ethanol leads to less MPG because there is less gasoline. However more ethanol can cause damage to engines if greater than 15%. Our BMW suffered a Hpfp failure from using low-tier gas. So, why is this carbon build up occurring on the OPs car?
Old 06-18-13, 08:11 PM
praetor
Racer

It's strange but my guess is the VVTi isn't working properly. The engine can deal with slightly bad fuel as the engine's ECU would retard/advance the timing for optimum power while avoiding detonation and knocking. If the fuel was really that bad, there should have been a noticeable reduction of power. 12K miles is nothing for a properly running engine, even if the fuel was subpar. My guess is car was running rich due to some malfunction of the engine's management system.
Old 06-19-13, 03:06 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Ok so a little bit of an update! I just got a call from my service advisor and apparently the top end carbon clean out didn't do anything. So they tested the compression and cylinder 3 compression is definitely lower then where it should be. (ouch) So now they are back in touch with Lexus corporate to see what to do next, maybe replace the short block etc. Im wondering at what point do I explore my options about this thing being a lemon? Honestly it has been perfect for me up until this point, handled great driven great, everything. If anyone has some advice for me on this I will definitely listen. It is weird because yes the car is new but this motor has been tried and true since (I believe) 2005, and thats why the guys at the dealership are kind of scratching there heads. Anywho, at the end of the day I have a brand new RX I'm driving (not my favorite) but hey at least I have a car to drive and mine is under warranty and there are a lot bigger problems in the world besides this.
Old 06-20-13, 10:23 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give them the time, and if at some point you feel as though you just got a bum motor, request to be let out of this vehicle and put in another. Often times auto companies can swap VIN numbers on a car and you keep the same terms and payments on the new car as long as both vehicles were in the same price bracket. I've had it offered to me before on a lease.
Old 06-20-13, 12:39 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Give them the time, and if at some point you feel as though you just got a bum motor, request to be let out of this vehicle and put in another. Often times auto companies can swap VIN numbers on a car and you keep the same terms and payments on the new car as long as both vehicles were in the same price bracket. I've had it offered to me before on a lease.
I got my car almost 14 months ago, and I feel I could get a better deal on one nowadays. Im sure if it was in fact lemon lawed I could just walk from it and go buy a new one right?
Old 06-20-13, 01:34 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding Lexus won't even arbitrate. They would rather just terminate your lease if there is even a hint of a valid claim is how it's been explained to me.
Old 06-20-13, 05:34 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Ok so a little bit of an update! I just got a call from my service advisor and apparently the top end carbon clean out didn't do anything. So they tested the compression and cylinder 3 compression is definitely lower then where it should be. (ouch) So now they are back in touch with Lexus corporate to see what to do next, maybe replace the short block etc. Im wondering at what point do I explore my options about this thing being a lemon? Honestly it has been perfect for me up until this point, handled great driven great, everything. If anyone has some advice for me on this I will definitely listen. It is weird because yes the car is new but this motor has been tried and true since (I believe) 2005, and thats why the guys at the dealership are kind of scratching there heads. Anywho, at the end of the day I have a brand new RX I'm driving (not my favorite) but hey at least I have a car to drive and mine is under warranty and there are a lot bigger problems in the world besides this.
The motor has been tried and tested YES. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have problems. Read my previous post. I've been through this already with my old Lexus GS. Like I said. I had wished this problem was solved by now but I guess it does still creep in. Soon enough You wont be the only one with this problem. Granted that the dealership wants you to believe so... This whole forum is going to go from "look at this mod" to problems with engine... I maybe be exaggerating because im scared and the sound of misfire sends shiver down my spine.

At one point Lexus was fixing this problem for customers out of warranty, unlimited mileage and up to 7 year old motor. This maybe highlights the gravity of the problem

Anyway, I'm sure you still have love for your GS. So I'd say let them fix it or replace with a new one GS. Which would be even better . Besides,This shouldn't really matter to you since you plan on returning it in 2 years anyway.
Old 06-21-13, 09:19 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by a310pilot
The motor has been tried and tested YES. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have problems. Read my previous post. I've been through this already with my old Lexus GS. Like I said. I had wished this problem was solved by now but I guess it does still creep in. Soon enough You wont be the only one with this problem. Granted that the dealership wants you to believe so... This whole forum is going to go from "look at this mod" to problems with engine... I maybe be exaggerating because im scared and the sound of misfire sends shiver down my spine.

At one point Lexus was fixing this problem for customers out of warranty, unlimited mileage and up to 7 year old motor. This maybe highlights the gravity of the problem

Anyway, I'm sure you still have love for your GS. So I'd say let them fix it or replace with a new one GS. Which would be even better . Besides,This shouldn't really matter to you since you plan on returning it in 2 years anyway.
Did you have a 2006 GS 300? Cause my advisor said they do see this in those and the IS250's kind of a lot.
Old 06-21-13, 11:06 AM
a310pilot
Driver

I had this problem with 06 GS300 and 07 GS350... 07 was the worst.

Quick Reply: Beware of Valero Gas