GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What do you think should change in the facelifted 4.5GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 06:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Default What do you think should change in the facelifted 2015 4.5GS?

The predecessor 3GS sold 33,457 on debut in 2005, and 27,390 in 2006.
4GS sales presently just 22,160 on debut last year, and just 7,340 in first 5 months of 2013.
Jan 1099, Feb 1108, Mar 1882, Apr 1236 and May 2015.
New 3IS may even cannibalize sales from 4GS a little.
In two weeks time, first 6 months sales will be released, and when doubled, 4GS may only sell 15,000 to 20,000 units in 2013.

Lexus might just drop an 8 speed auto into the 4GS next year, without actually facelifting the 4GS.
The real mid-life facelifed 4.5GS probably won't be due till about 2015.

Lexus needs your constructive feedback urgently!
What improvements would you like to see in the facelifted 4.5GS to get consumers to sign on the dotted line?

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-18-13 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-15-13, 06:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The 4.5GS needs an 8 speed automatic gearbox, not just on the 3.5L V6, but on the 2.5L V6 as well.
Old 06-15-13, 06:30 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

As far as I know Lexus is not known for small and frequent upgrades. It's either something major or nothing at all.

My guess is the 8 speed will come in 2015, it will be part of the major facelift. We may even see a new V6 engine, because by that time the current V6 is going to be 9 years old. I also think that same year we might see the GS-F debut. There will also be some interior upgrades.

Adding just 8 speed transmission will not make people buy the GS. It has to be something bigger than that.
Old 06-15-13, 06:59 PM
heasyrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be shopping by the end of the year, and the GS is at the top of my list. I would like to see a better designed 18" & 19" wheel for the non-F Sport and have it lowered just a little. Perhaps a better looking designed mouse controller as well. I don't think that is too much to ask for the 2014. If we can get some killer wheel options, I think that would be the best single thing Lexus can do.
Old 06-15-13, 07:06 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see how a facelift is due already when the 2013 GS just got released. Maybe end of 2015.... But on that note we are all waiting for the GS-F to debut
Old 06-15-13, 09:05 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Lexus has done it for the previous GS. Upgraded the engines just one year after release.
Old 06-15-13, 10:50 PM
capture1
Driver School Candidate

Dare I dream of my perfect GS350:

8 spd (the 3 series has a damn good one)
auto brake like on the LS (on the 5 series and 450h) that engages the electric parking break at a stop
adaptive cruise with stop and go (on 5 series & many other manufacturers) - Lexus is missing the stop and go part
better placement of electric parking break (probably lost cause)
better optioned vehicles on the lot without having to special order (i.e. with HUD, adaptive cruise)
small overlap crash safety testing results (prob not available by manufacturer request for a reason)
higher residuals for leasees (at least match 5 series BMW's)
higher mpg's with existing naturally aspirated motor and not having to go to a turbo (i.e. Mazda's Syactive technologies to recoup efficiencies - capacitor batter, etc..)

Other than that don't change a goddam thing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-13, 11:48 PM
nickhaaa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the engine happening. Like someone said above, the current engine is about 9 years old. It was a hesitation of mine prior to purchase. A huge overhaul of most of their vehicles but no new engine and MPG standards?

Facelift is not likely until 2015. At the moment the only thing I can think of is the DRL; I want it to be a solid LED line like the LS and Audi's now. Other than that I'm deeply in love with the design of the 4GS. It is a damn good looking vehicle.
Old 06-16-13, 01:55 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

If Mercedes can do sizable facelifts on their E Class and C Class, including a new dashboard, then Lexus should be competitive and match the Benz.
Late last year, the Lexus flagship LS range received quite a major facelift, not just to the exterior with the spindle grill, but to the interior dash as well - dubbed the 4.5LS.
Hopefully, the 4.5GS can receive a sizeable facelift at midlife too...
Old 06-16-13, 04:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tankton
Lexus has done it for the previous GS. Upgraded the engines just one year after release.
True, but that was not a real upgrade, they were just trying to quickly fix their mistake. In Japan the previous GS debuted with the new engine from the start. For the US version they've decided to use the old engine, for god knows what reason......it is different story now though, since both GS models here and in Japan use the same engine. So, this time we might actually have to wait a bit longer.
Old 06-16-13, 05:45 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

I don't know why so many people are in such a hurry to refresh a car that's only been out for 16 months. The odds of any major mechanical changes for 2014 are between slim and none.

It's almost like many are hoping early adopters of the 4GS get screwed over.
Old 06-16-13, 09:19 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by heasyrider
I will be shopping by the end of the year, and the GS is at the top of my list. I would like to see a better designed 18" & 19" wheel for the non-F Sport and have it lowered just a little. Perhaps a better looking designed mouse controller as well. I don't think that is too much to ask for the 2014. If we can get some killer wheel options, I think that would be the best single thing Lexus can do.
Two Responses:

1 - Any stock wheel can (and in my opinion should) easily be replaced at the time of purchase or lease. Stock wheels - no matter how well designed - are still stock and as such will become relatively ubiquitous in no time. If you're leasing, then negotiate the price of aftermarket wheels down to the dealer's cost, and most of the cost will be backed into the residual value. My upgraded tires and 20" wheels ended up costing me an extra $16 per month on a 36 month lease. Simple.

2. The mouse in the GS is perfectly fine. The sensitivity can be customized to each driver's preference, and it takes only a few hours of driving to get the feel for it. If you're critique of the mouse is actually about its "looks", everyone has different taste, but I'll say again that ergonomically the mouse and the resting pad are totally fine, and need no improvement.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think should change in the facelifted 4.5GS?-poj.jpg  
Old 06-16-13, 09:25 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
I don't know why so many people are in such a hurry to refresh a car that's only been out for 16 months. The odds of any major mechanical changes for 2014 are between slim and none.

It's almost like many are hoping early adopters of the 4GS get screwed over.
That's a very astute observation Brad. I agree that it seems like people who pose these questions about refreshes and improvements are trying to make waves and cause existing owners to think about hypothetical features they would not get to enjoy on their cars. What is it with people?
Old 06-16-13, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
If Mercedes can do sizable facelifts on their E Class and C Class, including a new dashboard, then Lexus should be competitive and match the Benz.
Late last year, the Lexus flagship LS range received quite a major facelift, not just to the exterior with the spindle grill, but to the interior dash as well - dubbed the 4.5LS.
Hopefully, the 4.5GS can receive a sizeable facelift at midlife too...
At midlife sure, this is not midlife.

Originally Posted by GS350MIKE
That's a very astute observation Brad. I agree that it seems like people who pose these questions about refreshes and improvements are trying to make waves and cause existing owners to think about hypothetical features they would not get to enjoy on their cars. What is it with people?
There are a few members that are here more to read themselves type than they are anything else. Its the same posts and threads over, and over, and over again.
Old 06-16-13, 12:36 PM
capture1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350MIKE
lmao. Some here are so full of themselves (no the society does NOT revolve around you) that a post on a suggested improvement (most of which are available from competing manufacturers and far from hypothetical) is construed as an attack against them. Thanks again for derailing this thread where I saw the original intent to be supplying thoughts on suggested improvements to keep the GS's sales momentem moving forward. But maybe I'm wrong and totally in left field...

Quick Reply: What do you think should change in the facelifted 4.5GS?