GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 08:18 PM
kssod
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 changes

I looked hard at a new 2013 GS 350 AWD F-Sport last spring when they first came out, but since they were new the dealers offered nothing off.
I ended up buying a CPO 2012 535 xdrive M-sport, with virtually every option for about 7k less than the new GS.

Regarding the GS, are there any changes or updates to the AWD version for 2014?
8 speed, Enform improvements? When will they be released since the 13 has been on sale for almost 16 months.

Enform seemed really weak compared to the BMW, especially concerning the SAT radio stations, no name only the station #, also definitely had the beta feel.
BMW will read txt, and emails and is incorporating Siri.

How have the 19" wheels and tires held up on Northeast Ohio roads. Thank god I have the wheel and tire insurance, 2 LS2 RFT tires with bubbles and now told I have 3 slightly bent rims.....
The Dunlops on the GS are just as poorly rated as the LS2, but curious about real world experience in Cleveland snow and frost heave roads.

The 5 is unbelievably good when all is well, fast, smooth, and quiet, a true executive car, leaps and bounds better than the RL I had, but a little fickle, with more than a few quirks and issues.

This has indeed been discussed at length 5 vs GS, it really comes down to personal preference, but I sure would like a bit stronger wheel and tire.
Old 06-14-13, 10:07 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still has the 6 speed for 2014.
Old 06-15-13, 05:20 AM
2013F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kssod
I looked hard at a new 2013 GS 350 AWD F-Sport last spring when they first came out, but since they were new the dealers offered nothing off.
I ended up buying a CPO 2012 535 xdrive M-sport, with virtually every option for about 7k less than the new GS.

8 speed, Enform improvements? When will they be released since the 13 has been on sale for almost 16 months.

Enform seemed really weak compared to the BMW, especially concerning the SAT radio stations, no name only the station #, also definitely had the beta feel.

How have the 19" wheels and tires held up on Northeast Ohio roads. Thank god I have the wheel and tire insurance, 2 LS2 RFT tires with bubbles and now told I have 3 slightly bent rims.....
The Dunlops on the GS are just as poorly rated as the LS2, but curious about real world experience in Cleveland snow and frost heave roads.

The 5 is unbelievably good when all is well, fast, smooth, and quiet, a true executive car, leaps and bounds better than the RL I had, but a little fickle, with more than a few quirks and issues.

This has indeed been discussed at length 5 vs GS, it really comes down to personal preference, but I sure would like a bit stronger wheel and tire.
You seem happy with your BMW, you should keep it or get another one. You are correct that it is personal preference, my preference is Lexus all the way. The sales, service, and service after the sale is something that BMW needs to improve on, Lexus has it all. I may be biased, I love my Lexus.
Old 06-15-13, 08:49 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with 2013F, I think there is too many BMW on the street, u hardly see any GS, and when u see one it turns ur head, and just reading reviews is different, until u sit in of them and drive it. the experience is different, I have driven BMW 3, 5, 7 series and its not the same,and when its comes to maintenance, BMW is expensive, and some of the owners don't realize it, I am in the parts biz, and when I give these guys prices, the have heart attacks, and I tell them u drive it u got to maintain it, its not free, I sell more BMW and MB and Audi parts that any Lexus.
Old 06-15-13, 01:01 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
Still has the 6 speed for 2014.
And you know that how?
Old 07-01-13, 08:23 PM
victorcong
Driver School Candidate

hi, im looking to buy a new GS im in costa rica, my dealer here offered an 8 speed for an additional 2 grand if i wait till october for the car.
Old 07-05-13, 12:54 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kssod

Good luck with your BMW . At least I know I won't have problems with my lexus. Previous owner of a 5 series. Straight problems and money pit.
Old 07-05-13, 04:10 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Being a huge BMW fan, I'm disappointed in the size of the current 5 series- it has gotten too big, has less rear seat legroom than the GS, and has lost the classic 5 series 'thing' and I don't say that lightly or with any joy at all. I was really looking at the 5 series.... yes I may buy a 750Li for my wife, but methinks I'll pass on the 5 series for myself. Seems as though there is a new Sheriff in town....

Sure would like to see the 8-speed in the 2014 and there is no reason why they can't do this & I would find it inexcusable for them not to. On another note, the Jeep Grand Cherokee just made the move from a 6 to 8 speed.
Old 07-05-13, 09:26 PM
DGP1dotcom
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand why everyone is so enamored by an 8 speed. if you have driven the fsport on a track you'll find it doesn't hunt for gears and it holds where it should. i've found the 8 speed in my wifes x3 (yes i know its not a sedan) to be way too sensitive. when i drove the 7 speed E550 it didn't feel smoother or faster than the GS (i think it was a 7speed if it was an 2012 right?).

you realize the toyota engineers did a lot of work with the 8 speed analysis before using the 6 speed. This car smokes the others in its class, it just doesn't have the same 20yrs of sport reputation but that is all changing
Old 07-06-13, 12:02 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DGP1dotcom
I don't understand why everyone is so enamored by an 8 speed. if you have driven the fsport on a track you'll find it doesn't hunt for gears and it holds where it should. i've found the 8 speed in my wifes x3 (yes i know its not a sedan) to be way too sensitive. when i drove the 7 speed E550 it didn't feel smoother or faster than the GS (i think it was a 7speed if it was an 2012 right?).

you realize the toyota engineers did a lot of work with the 8 speed analysis before using the 6 speed. This car smokes the others in its class, it just doesn't have the same 20yrs of sport reputation but that is all changing

That's a good report and point well taken. (and no I haven't driven the car yet at all) Personally, I would prefer the 8-speed from the standpoint of better economy, but I'm not buying the car as an econobox and a six speed is nothing to sneeze at, and if it actually performs better, so be it. The LFA does just fine with a 6 speed.

Yes the times are a changin'!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 07-06-13 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-06-13, 07:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DGP1dotcom

The 8 speed is not a big thing to me as I find the 6 speed is fine.
Perhaps some just like the bragging right of having a 8 speed.

Power side fold in mirrors and 3D Nav w/better voice recognition are much more important upgrades to me.
Old 07-06-13, 08:31 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from driving our 8 sp equipped RX 350 F sport the 8 speed is a better tranny. There is also a reason why the IS350 is getting this transmission too.

Sister has a G37 sport and it has a 7 speed tranny and it never hunts for gears. I think Japanese cars do higher gear trannies better than the competition. That being said, it's likely a price issue as it costs more to put that 8 speed in and they will likely wait until the 3rd year for this body style. I for one will be upgrading if they do this in conjunction with more horsepower. I'm guessing Lexus will want to make it a big deal and will release a new motor to accompany the GS moving to a better transmission.
Old 07-06-13, 08:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I can tell you from driving our 8 sp equipped RX 350 F sport the 8 speed is a better tranny. There is also a reason why the IS350 is getting this transmission too.

Sister has a G37 sport and it has a 7 speed tranny and it never hunts for gears. I think Japanese cars do higher gear trannies better than the competition. That being said, it's likely a price issue as it costs more to put that 8 speed in and they will likely wait until the 3rd year for this body style. I for one will be upgrading if they do this in conjunction with more horsepower. I'm guessing Lexus will want to make it a big deal and will release a new motor to accompany the GS moving to a better transmission.
That sounds about right.
The midcycle refresh model with more HP and an 8 speed and maybe keep the same or a bit better MPGs.
Old 07-06-13, 01:29 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

The new trannies with more gears are more or less being mandated by EPA standards for mileage & emissions reasons that clamp down increasingly with each consecutive year. It's the way it is. I don't understand how bragging rights come into play unless it's all about mileage for someone or they are enamored with numbers. I do know that the Acura bunch was needing something beyond the 5 and 6 speed boxes they had, and partially because of gearing issues as well as emissions goals.

The 8 speeds (and up) are giving the auto mfg's a bit of wiggle room before they have to redesign their engines to comply with these stringent standards.
Old 07-06-13, 06:37 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

Everyone in this thread makes good points.

Lexus has said that the GS was determined to perform better with the 6-speed and I believe them. However it is curious that the IS has it and does very well.

The 8-speeds for BMW & Audi receive much praise from C&D, I can't imagine Lexus couldn't do the same with theirs.

I agree that an 8-speed trans will eventually find its way into the GS, better emissions & performance. From what I hear Honda/Acura will have a new 7-speed DCT coming soon.

It's interesting how transmission tech has become a battleground for automakers. I remember the days when it was much less of focus, almost an afterthought.

Quick Reply: 2014 changes