GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 09:37 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My experience with the Autotrader and Carfax dealer offers were that they were quite low.
Agree.

If you're going to trade in I suggest Carmax. But don't expect more than the low 40s, if even that. Carmax offered $4000 for my gf's 06 accord last month claiming possible odometer rollback. It's just an error from autocheck and they even agreed. We sold on private party for 10.5k a week later.

Just list on autotrader, pay for extra pics and exposure. Make sure car looks immaculate when you show buyer. Give yourself 1-3 months. Ignore all telemarketers.
Old 07-02-13, 05:27 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Update!!!

Car is sold to a couple in Indiana.
Old 07-02-13, 05:42 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the sale! Onward with life ! You'll have something better on down the line
Old 07-12-13, 03:32 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time someone wants to buy a car that they can't easily afford, they should look at this thread. It goes to show the costs of selling a new car.

Congrats on selling your car, hopefully you weren't too underwater with it. Keep your next car for a longer period of time. The upgrade itch will always be just around the corner.

I've been there man - bought a car that I could barely afford (at the time) and I ended up taking a bath on it when I traded it in.
Old 07-12-13, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't recall him saying that he could not afford the car...nor is he upgrading it...
Old 07-12-13, 03:50 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

I don't recall him saying that he could not afford the car...nor is he upgrading it...
He just said that he is expecting a 3rd child and so he is getting a more normal "joe" car so he can afford other things.

He is getting a regular car now, but the upgrade itch will always be there in all of us "car guys".
Old 07-12-13, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't mean he can't afford the car, seems to me that he simply decided to allocate the money spent on the car towards something else. Best not to make assumptions...
Old 07-12-13, 04:06 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Doesn't mean he can't afford the car, seems to me that he simply decided to allocate the money spent on the car towards something else. Best not to make assumptions...
True - best not to make assumptions on my part, so I'm making educated guesses based on his posts. Had he been able to afford the car without any sacrifice to discretionary income, he would not need to free up money for something else down the road.

Either way, I'm not trying to pass judgement, we've all been there where we've bought something that in hindsight wasn't probably the best thing to buy considering everything else life comes up with that we had not planned for. I bought my first car way too soon and I paid dearly for it.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and he can see that now... not only was buying a car that used up some discretionary income that he needs now not the best financial move, but he also learned that selling a newly purchased car with all the options is way more costly that he had imagined. (see his post below).

Again, I'm not passing judgement, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

1. Buy a car you can afford so you don't have to sell it prematurely down the road.
2. Buying a new car with all the options you want has a price if you choose not to keep it but instead sell it.

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
I just wanted to thank you all for bringing me back to reality. When I purchased my car I paid the extra $8000.00 in Lux options because I knew I'd be keeping the car forever. Famous last words, right?

Turns out my wife and I have decided to have a third child and and that will require building a new house with more bedrooms. By selling my Lexus and buying an "Avergae Joe's" car, I can use that extra cash to get the new house done.

So, life is life and I've excepted defeat, tucked my tail between my legs, and offered my car to "frotiss" for $46,000. He had offered me $45,000 before, but hopefully we can both come to see the same ending. I lose way more money than I had hoped and he wins a beautiful showroom condition Lux GS!

I'm sure we can all agree that $46,000 is certainly a fair price!

Again, thank you all!
Old 07-12-13, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Again, I'm not passing judgement, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Your post came across as more than a little condescending and judgmental.
Old 07-12-13, 06:44 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Your post came across as more than a little condescending and judgmental.
Agreed!!!

I'm the CTO of the largest independent Captive insurance company and can certainly afford the car. Things come up and life changes. Not having the huge car payment will free up a decent amount of money, but I could of kept the car and kept on living without issue.

Now that the car is sold I will buy an average Dailey driver that I don't have to worry about door dings and parking lot scrapes and then buy a sports car to keep in the new third bay garage I'm building.

My wife and I deciding to have another baby and building a new house is just part of the plan.

I can certainly see how my previous posts made it sound like I was strapped, but to be honest this car was simply the 19th brand new car I've had and I'm only 36. I will have many more fun cars. I'm just not so sold on having such a high end daily driver. I'm too **** about how I keep my cars.

Just ordered the new 2013 Honda Accord for my daily driver and am looking at the new 2014 Corvette to fill the third bay as long as its as good as they claim it is???

Again, thank you all for your advice and opinions.
Old 07-13-13, 03:13 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Agreed!!!

I'm the CTO of the largest independent Captive insurance company and can certainly afford the car. Things come up and life changes. Not having the huge car payment will free up a decent amount of money, but I could of kept the car and kept on living without issue.

Now that the car is sold I will buy an average Dailey driver that I don't have to worry about door dings and parking lot scrapes and then buy a sports car to keep in the new third bay garage I'm building.

My wife and I deciding to have another baby and building a new house is just part of the plan.

I can certainly see how my previous posts made it sound like I was strapped, but to be honest this car was simply the 19th brand new car I've had and I'm only 36. I will have many more fun cars. I'm just not so sold on having such a high end daily driver. I'm too **** about how I keep my cars.

Just ordered the new 2013 Honda Accord for my daily driver and am looking at the new 2014 Corvette to fill the third bay as long as its as good as they claim it is???

Again, thank you all for your advice and opinions.
Well in that case, congrats on the sale and looks like you and I may be looking at the new Stingray as fun cars in the near future.
Old 07-13-13, 06:43 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

glad you were able to get your business done... i'm sure going to miss that GS with the emergency lights and all. oh well, alls well that ends well. congrtaz on your future endeavors Play... post a pic of the Honda when you get her, or PM me with a pic. BTW, is this one getting the emergency lights also?
Old 07-13-13, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah let us know how you like the Accord, that would be my choice if I were looking for something in that segment...
Old 07-13-13, 07:31 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

You can't go wrong with an Accord or Camry. I have owned two Camrys, a 1991 and a 2000. Both still run and are daily drivers today. My 2000 Camry has a TRD Supercharger and I beat the **** out of it. Well built vehicle.
Old 07-13-13, 08:51 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Well in that case, congrats on the sale and looks like you and I may be looking at the new Stingray as fun cars in the near future.
Thanks!

I really hope the build quality is as good as it looks and what they say it. If so the new stingray should be a very sweet weekend warrior!

Quick Reply: There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!