GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Broken Windshield

Old 06-08-13, 06:21 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

No way $875 is OEM glass like you are expecting (for it to say "LEXUS" in the corner)
They consider glass from the same "manufacturer" as "OEM" glass. So, your windshield may be PPG, Pilkington, Aashi, etc and be considered "OEM" glass from the perspective of a glass installer or insurance company. That glass will NOT be of the same quality as the glass that originally came on the car, as manufacturers have much more strict guidelines about quality.....Some say Theres no difference but my experience tells me otherwise.....I'd be utterly shocked if $875 got you a real Lexus windshield.
SW13GS is entirely correct. I went through this educational process a few years ago with my GS430. Safelite Auto Glass told me they were using Lexus "OEM glass" when in fact, their OEM glass was any glass that met their "specs" and would fit your windshield, and which I found out later was much lower in optical quality than the Lexus OEM glass that came on the car. Their incompetent installer caused over $800 damage to my car. After a long legal process, they finally agreed to repair the damage to the car and I had Lexus replace the windshield. It was an educational process for me. I wouldn't let Safelite Auto Glass replace the windshield on a kiddie car. The OEM windshield and installation from Lexus was around $1200.
Old 06-08-13, 11:25 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Actually, no. But it works FOR you, not against you. Since there is no aftermarket glass available, the insurance companies reluctantly, but inevitably, agree to foot the bill for the real McCoy - lovely Lexus glass! Guess I should know. In the last two months, I've had to replace windshields in both my wife's 2013 GS450h ($1,200) and in my own 2013 LS460 ($2,000). Hope the new ones last longer than the "old" ones.
Do you park near a golf course or something?!
Old 06-08-13, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I wouldn't let Safelite Auto Glass replace the windshield on a kiddie car. The OEM windshield and installation from Lexus was around $1200.
I agree 100%. Let the dealer do it (some dealers will work direct with insurance through their body shop, find one that does to make doubly sure you don't get stuck with part of the bill).

The dealer will warranty the work as they do any work they perform, even if they farm it out.
Old 06-08-13, 04:40 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Do you park near a golf course or something?!
I once hit my own car (a Chevy) in a golf course parking lot with a hooked tee shot on #18. Found the ball next to the car with dimpled dent in passenger door panel. Stopped buying lottery tickets after that one.

The LS ding was weird. Just pulled left onto divided highway behind a jeep. Perfect road surface (live down South) and nobody else on the road, just me and Mr. Jip. After following him for 1/4 mile or so, he starts ******* it going up one of our hills/mountains. Nobody around, so I swing out to pass him on the right and <CRACK> I get hit by a rock he threw. The rest is history (of $2k wasted). Now HTF did that rock hit me? I'm off to his right and behind him. He must have pinched the rock with the corner of a treadblock and sent it flying up in the air and off to the right. Then, I ran into it at 60+ mph. Me and him. His rock and my rock. Funny how people get together.
Old 06-08-13, 09:56 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

My experience is that there is a huge difference between OEM and Non-OEM glass and it is not just what is referred to as OEM glass that you want but Lexus logo glass. To many OEM just means built to OEM standards which it usually is not. Lexus logo glass is expensive of course and many insurance companies will not authorize it as a replacement.

Dave Mac
Old 06-09-13, 07:44 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
My experience is that there is a huge difference between OEM and Non-OEM glass and it is not just what is referred to as OEM glass that you want but Lexus logo glass. To many OEM just means built to OEM standards which it usually is not. Lexus logo glass is expensive of course and many insurance companies will not authorize it as a replacement.

Dave Mac
All true, but until non-OEM glass (boo!) is available for a new generation of Lexus vehicles, insurers have NO CHOICE but to pony up for lovely Lexus glass. So break 'em early fellas.
Old 06-09-13, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Insurance companies really cannot require the use of aftermarket windshields. They will try, but if you REALLY press them they will come through with a real, Lexus branded replacement.

Thats one of those things you need to find out before you purchase a policy, can you specify the use of original, OEM parts for a repair. A windshield is no different than a fender or headlight really.
Old 06-09-13, 06:25 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Insurance companies really cannot require the use of aftermarket windshields. They will try, but if you REALLY press them they will come through with a real, Lexus branded replacement.

Thats one of those things you need to find out before you purchase a policy, can you specify the use of original, OEM parts for a repair. A windshield is no different than a fender or headlight really.
Not so, Steve. There are, of course, different regs governing insurance company options from state to state, but in many locations the insurance company is only obligated to pay for aftermarket glass. If you demand Lexus glass, you're on the hook for the difference in price. Depending on your history with your carrier, you can sometimes get a "courtesy" upgrade to OEM, but this is only at the whim of the company. Aftermarket glass, of course, must meet OEM specs, but does anyone think the government (state or fed) is really checking each pane of glass to Lexus specs? Nah, me neither.
Old 06-10-13, 07:20 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you. I have had windshields replaced on two different Lexus vehicles. Both were still in warranty. Of coarse the insurance company tried to steer me to aftermarket products, but I simply asked them to provide me with letter stating they would honor any warranty issues with windshield that Lexus refused because of aftermarket glass. The conversation ended there and I got factory windshields from Lexus. All I had to pay was my deductible.
Old 06-10-13, 07:38 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Here is link to State Farm's policy. You pay difference between OEM and aftermarket. Read it and weep...
Old 06-10-13, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here is link to State Farm's policy. You pay difference between OEM and aftermarket. Read it and weep...
Then I would take my business away from state farm.
Old 06-10-13, 04:10 PM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

State Farm is who I am with. They paid for Lexus glass. At the time there was not any OEM aftermarket windshields for my Lexus vehicles. Do not let insurance company downgrade your luxury vehicle.

Last edited by icmoney; 06-10-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 05:36 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called my insurance company (American National) and they said I could have my choice of windshields. We will see if it happens what they say then.
Old 06-10-13, 06:01 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, guys, guys. I'm not saying you can't get Lexus glass from an insurance company without paying through the nose. I'm saying the company is NOT OBLIGATED to "upgrade" your glass from aftermarket to OEM. If they do so, they do so for their own reasons, NOT because you have law, custom, or rights on your side. One of the very good reasons they "give" you the upgrade is because aftermarket glass for a new model such as the 4G GS or the new LS is simply unavailable at the time of the casualty loss. They MUST pay for Lexus glass; there is no alternative. But when the models are a few years old and aftermarket glass is readily available at hundreds of dollars less than Lexus glass? Well, you've read the State Farm policy (other majors are the same). So tell me how things go then...
Old 06-10-13, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had OEM Lexus glass put in my 2010 ES that had plenty of aftermarket options available. I insisted...and I got what I wanted. Allstate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Windshield