GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cleaning the Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 04:02 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have use Spray Nine on the interior of cars to no ill effect...at all. The manufacturer recommends it not be used on leather but it does an effective job at cleaning other surfaces. Much of the dirt that is on the surface of your car's interior is from you and your passengers, the greasy human skin exfoliates and settles on the interior of your car.
Old 05-22-13, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Its your car, but I've detailed cars for over 15 years and I have seen what use of harsh cleaners like that does to interior materials. I would never even consider using a product like that on my car's tires...let alone the interior. They are WAY too harsh and have bleaching agents in them, they strip all the oils and protective coatings off of interior plastics, accelerate fading and wear. Just absolutely not the appropriate product.

If you don't want to pay for an appropriate cleaner, just follow Lexus' directions and use water, you'll be way better off.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-13 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 04:29 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Fair enough. But all cleaning agents operate on the same principle, enzyme bonding. The enzymes bonds to the dirt and then enzyme and dirt gets washed or wiped away. So whether it is Spray Nine or Meguiar's they do essentially the same thing. Biggest hit on vinyl is the sun, we do far too little cleaning to have a real impact on drying things out. The Meguiar's product does claim to have "sun blocking agents" so there maybe a leg up there.
Old 05-22-13, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All of that is well and good, but I can tell you with absolute certainly that harsh cleaners WILL discolor and fade interior materials, I have seen it 100% with my own eyes. Cleaning agents all may do the same thing, but they have different chemicals that do the cleaning and varying strength levels. Different chemicals react to various surfaces differently. Its just too harsh a cleaner for the high quality interior materials in something like this Lexus. SprayNine is a degreaser and a disinfectant, it kills fungus and mold...its WAY too harsh a cleaner for this application. The Quik Detailer is a very mild detergent and has none of that cleaning power and it is much more delicate, its all you need for this application.

The Spray Nine's MSDS specifies that it should be used with protective eyewear and chemical resistant gloves...just as an example of how harsh a cleaner this is.

By your logic you should be able to wash all your clothes in bleach without damaging them. Just because a T Shirt can be cleaned with bleach doesn't mean your suit can be. There are different products out there designed for specific applications, misusing products WILL damage certain surfaces.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 04:41 PM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Quick Detailer from Meguiars? No its just a mild cleaner, no residue left behind at all.
yeah the Meguiars. will try it out.
Old 05-22-13, 04:58 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Actually the MSDS for both products are worded differently, however essentially the same, keep out of reach of children, do not spray in your eyes, neither talks about downing a bottle of their product. Yes Spray Nine recommends the gloves and Meguiar's does not. Spray Nine makes a big deal about killing virus's outside of their natural environment and Meguiars plays up sun blocking. Neither lists active ingredients.
Old 05-22-13, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever, its your car but you came here and asked us what products you should use to clean your interior. If you have already decided you are going to use the product you use to degrease your BBQ, why did you post?

If you think the two products are so similar, try and use Meg's Interior Quik Detailer to degrease your BBQ and report back how well it works.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 05:13 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Yes thank-you SW13GS I got some wonderful recommendations, I appreciate your input .
Old 05-22-13, 08:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damp towel for dash, etc. Pledge Orange Clean (all surface) for aluminum trim, piano black and HVAC area. Lexol Leather Conditioner for leather.
Old 05-22-13, 10:12 PM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its your car, but I've detailed cars for over 15 years and I have seen what use of harsh cleaners like that does to interior materials. I would never even consider using a product like that on my car's tires...let alone the interior. They are WAY too harsh and have bleaching agents in them, they strip all the oils and protective coatings off of interior plastics, accelerate fading and wear. Just absolutely not the appropriate product.

If you don't want to pay for an appropriate cleaner, just follow Lexus' directions and use water, you'll be way better off.
agree that it is common sense not to use harsh cleaner on the interior. it may not be harmful initially but will be too late when the damage starts to surface later.
Old 05-23-13, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And some cleaners will be harmful initially, I've seen a cleaner take the color right out of dyed interior trim with one spray, or when splattered onto or used on clear plastic such as the display lenses cloud them and ruin them in one spray. Simple Green comes to mind.
Old 05-23-13, 02:16 PM
maxwebr
Driver

For the leather, I use Adam's Polishes Leather cleaner and conditioner. Its a wonderful product. Doens't leave the seats slick, but does give a nice rich color. (especially on my interior). and it smells great too !
Old 05-24-13, 09:29 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A gallon of Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer cost less than $25 bucks shipped and will last for years. So cheap for a good stuff IMO.
Old 05-24-13, 09:51 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

onexcite where can I order Meguiar's at $25/gal? Up here it is $12 for about 1/8 of a gal and I have spent all my Canadian Tire money already.
Old 05-24-13, 10:20 AM
ialexxx
Driver

For all interior trim pieces I use 1ziett Cockpit premium. Leather seats I always use leather masters or sonax.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Interior