GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Got my maps updated

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 11:58 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my maps updated

I got my map version updated at the dealership recently, which means that the 2012 map version is now officially available. Before and after shots are below.

Before
Got my maps updated-nav2_before-copy.jpg

After
Got my maps updated-nav1_after-copy.jpg
Old 05-13-13, 12:05 PM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much was it?
Old 05-13-13, 12:10 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Originally Posted by mush
how much was it?
No charge (part of purchase negotiation).
Old 05-13-13, 01:20 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxoRocket
No charge (part of purchase negotiation).
Nice! Did you notice any improvement? Ex: moving back up camera line, 3D building, speed limit?
Old 05-13-13, 01:33 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Originally Posted by onexcite
Nice! Did you notice any improvement? Ex: moving back up camera line, 3D building, speed limit?
I didn't see any improvements other than the addition of some newly built roads to the map database. I didn't notice any 3D building rendering or speed limit warnings. The backup camera lines don't bend either.

From reading the release notes on the Lexus website, it looks like they only added a bunch of data points to the map database; they didn't enhance the software or add any new functionality.
Old 05-13-13, 02:51 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxoRocket
I didn't see any improvements other than the addition of some newly built roads to the map database. I didn't notice any 3D building rendering or speed limit warnings. The backup camera lines don't bend either.

From reading the release notes on the Lexus website, it looks like they only added a bunch of data points to the map database; they didn't enhance the software or add any new functionality.
Thanks! I might just hold off till they do some major improvement like 3D maps if any!
Old 05-13-13, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry guys but I don't think you'll be seeing 3D maps in any update. It's a whole different system on the 3IS. Sharper graphics, 3D, a home screen sharing 1, 2, or 3 different items on the home screen - can be blown up to see a certain one. Home button replaces Menu. Voice commands can say the full address now including zip code, no need for city, street, house prompts. Only updates you'll ever see are for the maps not the interface. We'll see if 14 GS gets the system the 3IS does, if it does then they are pulling the old 2006 GS300/430 switch to 2007 GS350/460 which also included a new navigation interface after only a year. If that's the case then I'm sorry to say you guys got screwed. The tech on the 3IS is really nice, interior on the 4GS is stellar compared to the 3IS though
Old 05-13-13, 07:04 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not wait until the 06/13 update?
Old 05-14-13, 07:07 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Originally Posted by StlGasMan
Why not wait until the 06/13 update?
I was promised a free 6/12 update. Also, it took the dealer 8 months to get their hands on the 6/12 update. If the same trend continues, the 6/13 update will be available in 2/14 at the earliest.

That being said, I didn't see much value in the current update other than the addition of some new streets, so I don't think you'll be missing out on much by skipping the 6/12 update and waiting for the 6/13 version.
Old 05-14-13, 09:13 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry guys but I don't think you'll be seeing 3D maps in any update. It's a whole different system on the 3IS. Sharper graphics, 3D, a home screen sharing 1, 2, or 3 different items on the home screen - can be blown up to see a certain one. Home button replaces Menu. Voice commands can say the full address now including zip code, no need for city, street, house prompts. Only updates you'll ever see are for the maps not the interface. We'll see if 14 GS gets the system the 3IS does, if it does then they are pulling the old 2006 GS300/430 switch to 2007 GS350/460 which also included a new navigation interface after only a year. If that's the case then I'm sorry to say you guys got screwed. The tech on the 3IS is really nice, interior on the 4GS is stellar compared to the 3IS though
I'm gonna drive my car into a wall. If they pull that maneuver again, there won't be many more people taking risks on the first model releases by Lexus. Everyone will wait out on the 2nd year of it.
Old 05-14-13, 11:00 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I would have waited, but needed a reliable road trip car for the summer. It's like any new product that evolves. Never buy the first version of a software program, if you can wait for it to prove itself. On the other hand, maybe the first year will be a collector car some day.
Old 05-15-13, 06:23 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

My previous vehicle was equipped with MyFord Touch. While it was total garbage software, Ford did issue free updates often. They could also be installed by the vehicle's owner at home. It seems that Toyota is content to stick with the old model of "once and done". Once automobile manufacturers decided to install on-board UI systems they became de facto software developers as well. In my mind, that means software updates should be part of the agreement.
Old 05-15-13, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
My previous vehicle was equipped with MyFord Touch. While it was total garbage software, Ford did issue free updates often. They could also be installed by the vehicle's owner at home. It seems that Toyota is content to stick with the old model of "once and done". Once automobile manufacturers decided to install on-board UI systems they became de facto software developers as well. In my mind, that means software updates should be part of the agreement.
While I agree. The software and interface on the 3IS is way too different

Y'all will find out in less than a month when it hits dealers and you can see for yourselves.

Read post #3

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ration-is.html

And I highlight many of the technological features of the 3IS
Old 05-15-13, 04:58 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Outrage is correct. If you want to be market leaders in software, take care of your users and improve the product often until the industry recognizes you as the leader. Software isn't like building battleships. The agile developers will win. A third party development group will beat Toyota if they're not responsive.
Old 05-16-13, 05:33 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
While I agree. The software and interface on the 3IS is way too different

Y'all will find out in less than a month when it hits dealers and you can see for yourselves.

Read post #3

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ration-is.html

And I highlight many of the technological features of the 3IS
I believe the hardware is capable of more advanced functionality. This is evidenced in the software implementation on the 2013 Lexus GS in Japan. The JDM GS includes the "Harmonious Driving Navigator", which is software which records fuel economy scores and uploads that information to a Toyota server for viewing online. It also includes more advanced navigation maps which feature the ability to display a bird's eye view. Finally, it is able to display moving guide lines when the backup camera is activated rather than static ones. This is almost certainly a function of the software since the steering angle is already monitored for other vehicle systems. I doubt Toyota is installing inferior hardware in the US-bound GS models rolling off the assembly line. I don't doubt it is installing inferior software, however.

The one reason I always tend to lean toward domestics when I'm car shopping is that I never feel like I'm getting shafted, feature-wise, with the products available in my market. It seems that, historically, exported Japanese products must always be inferior in some way to the ones sold in the Japanese market.

Quick Reply: Got my maps updated