GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brakes Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 10:01 AM
HardonThem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brakes Squealing

I have had my 2013 GS-350 since August of last year. I was initially very pleased with my purchase. Don't get me wrong, I am a Lexus Lover and believe overall their vehicles are some of the most reliable and sporty looking.

Shortly after reaching the 2,500 mile mark, my brakes started squealing incessantly. This happens primarily when I am braking at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic. The vehicle stops just fine though. I have tried pumping the brakes and even making rolling stops but the noise can not be concealed. I recently took the vehicle in for the 10k service and voiced my concern to the technician. Needless to say, they first acted as though they could not hear the noise. I did insist on a ride along with the technician to confirm and the noise started before we even made it out of the driveway.

I have taken my vehicle in a total of 3 (three) times citing the squealing brakes as an issue. I paid too much for this car for this to be an issue. I mean, I wanted an attention getter but not in this way.

I have seen a bulletin along these lines for the FSport GS-350 which apparently does not apply. Any advice or anyone experiencing the same.
Old 05-13-13, 10:02 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a TSB for the GS 350 F-sport brake noise and they will need to replace all 4brake pads free of charge for you.
Old 05-20-13, 10:34 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
There is a TSB for the GS 350 F-sport brake noise and they will need to replace all 4brake pads free of charge for you.
Also purchased mine last August, squealing began around 4k miles, on and off for the next 6k. Usually only coming to a stop, hot warm, night day it doesn't matter.

Last month I took the car in for the TSB brake. They had to order the special new parts for the front only. Two days later they replaced it, and did not machine the rotors (I had 10k on original pads). Within two miles it squeal again!

The car continued to squeal for the next 1k miles. This weekend I did a bedding procedure on the brakes to see if it makes any difference. None.

So yes, this is really embarrassing to drive a Lexus and have this problem. I'm going to drive for a few more thousand miles to see if it goes away. I'll probably contact Lexus to see if they can do anything.
Old 05-22-13, 07:26 AM
GS250
Driver

^for bedding to be effective, I thought will have to do it the moment you put in a new pad? maybe you can consider going for after market rotor and pad.
Old 05-22-13, 09:02 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
^for bedding to be effective, I thought will have to do it the moment you put in a new pad? maybe you can consider going for after market rotor and pad.
That's what the recommendation calls for. But the instructions also mentioned that if it starts to squeal after driving a while, then re-do the bedding procedure.

But looks like not a lot of people have this problem. Mine started squealing around 3-4k miles. They replaced pads (new parts number) at 10k. Now at 12k it's still squealing. So I'm going to try and get them to replace both pads and disc since they were never right in the first place. Really don't want them to start machining down my disc.
Old 05-22-13, 04:58 PM
GS250
Driver

Hopes it will works out for you. for the comfort that this ride provides, this noise must be very irritating.
Old 05-22-13, 06:03 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HardonThem
I have had my 2013 GS-350 since August of last year. I was initially very pleased with my purchase. Don't get me wrong, I am a Lexus Lover and believe overall their vehicles are some of the most reliable and sporty looking.

Shortly after reaching the 2,500 mile mark, my brakes started squealing incessantly. This happens primarily when I am braking at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic. The vehicle stops just fine though. I have tried pumping the brakes and even making rolling stops but the noise can not be concealed. I recently took the vehicle in for the 10k service and voiced my concern to the technician. Needless to say, they first acted as though they could not hear the noise. I did insist on a ride along with the technician to confirm and the noise started before we even made it out of the driveway.

I have taken my vehicle in a total of 3 (three) times citing the squealing brakes as an issue. I paid too much for this car for this to be an issue. I mean, I wanted an attention getter but not in this way.

I have seen a bulletin along these lines for the FSport GS-350 which apparently does not apply. Any advice or anyone experiencing the same.
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=177724
Old 05-22-13, 06:13 PM
xyzstudio
Rookie

came back from 5k service, the service advisor told me due to the bad contact on the stock parts, they replaced with updated components ( break pads changed on all four wheels ) !
Old 05-22-13, 06:36 PM
jk13gs
Driver School Candidate

Default mine yelp too

have only had my gs for 3 months. loud squeak at super slow stop and go. def embarrassing
Old 05-22-13, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry you guys are having to put up with this. It is embarrassing, but even expensive cars aren't immune to this. My Audi A6 4.2 (over $50k in 2002) had brakes that squealed constantly. I eventually traded it in because of that and poor service.

I've been lucky so far with my GS F-Sport. 8,300 miles and no squeals. It is weird that it seems to be isolated to a few cars.
Old 05-23-13, 02:13 PM
maxwebr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer only reaplaced the front brakes. I guess the issue is just with them and not the rears. This is covered under warranty. I have had no squeeky brakes since.
Old 05-24-13, 12:16 AM
Shadow0039
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem can definitely be fixed .. developed the problem around 4,000 km .. brought to dealer twice but was not able to reproduce the sound. First attempt they just service the pad & rotor, doesn't help. The second time I insisted if the problem remain, I am going to take issue to their management .. after they change the front roters and pads .. now with 22,000 km mileage and no more squealing.

Don't let this problem stop you from enjoying a great car, when the issue can be resolved. The dealers are just lazy at times .. show they the discussions at the forum.
Old 07-18-13, 07:46 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

My car is just starting to squeal at low speed stops. I have about 1100 miles on it. I don't think I can what to fix it at 5k or 10k. You pay over 55k for the car and it makes noises like a jalopy.

I'm bummed. What do you do to "bed" in the brakes?