Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wind Noise 2013 GS 350 F-Sport

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-13, 07:02 PM   #1
teuhl
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
teuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 18
Default Wind Noise 2013 GS 350 F-Sport

Today I visited my Dealer to check out the wind noise that we are hearing - driver and passenger. They did agree after a road test that there is a wind noise. They also took out another GS 350 and noticed the same. They called CA to check if others reported this problem and the answer was no. The Service Consultant indicated this will be entered to review in more detail. While waiting, I looked at cars in the showroom. The triangle filler at the front of the windows on the GS 460 and ES models had a horizontal ridge molded in this filler piece. Not sure for the reason - wind noise reduction?

Also, wanted the oil changed at 3K miles and the Consultant indicated it was not necessary. Stated that oil change is not needed until 10K miles due to now using synthetic oil. I do not agree with this. Will have oil changed in the next week to remove any fines that may be in the oil of the new engine.

Requested changes to the number of lane change turn signal blinks and lowering windows when depressing FOB unlock. The latter was no problem due to using a laptop interface. However, the signal change is using a combination of turn signal and wiper levers. I have a copy of the instructions and never have seen anything so complex. I don't understand why these changes cannot be make by the owner similar to some of the other features.

This was a very interesting visit today. I would like to hear replies on the oil change. I guess I am from the old school in this regard.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
teuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 08:24 PM   #2
Rexus300
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,576
Default

As for the oil change, you can and should replace it every 5k miles. I do that on my GS F-sport and I am a young guy and believe that its a fine balance between good oil and how much you drive. I hate to wait every 10k miles as recommended and my dealer does not mind this for many of their customers.

The wind noise is not that evident for me. I have a very quiet ride on my GS F-sport with the michelin tires. The car is very quiet compared to my Audi A8L.

I have not changed the lane changing blinkers yet but my dealer agreed to do that with no charge.
Rexus300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 02:17 AM   #3
Neogenic
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 158
Default

Wind noise is a known issue and there is two good threads about it in this forum. No resolution yet though. My qualified guess is drivers who dont notice it, have hearing deficit.
Neogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:55 AM   #4
Rexus300
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogenic View Post
Wind noise is a known issue and there is two good threads about it in this forum. No resolution yet though. My qualified guess is drivers who dont notice it, have hearing deficit.
Ouch. But true. I do have sensorineural hearing loss but my 8,000 dollars hearing aids have a feature that I use to block some wind noise in car so I can listen to music and companions. I was born with this.... But I am very sensitive to noise, rattles, and squeeks that I seek them out when I hear them so I do hear everything with these hearing aids. My biggest peeves are vibration from bad tires, balance, rims, etc. GOD, I hate vibrations.
Rexus300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:40 AM   #5
modthispny
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 424
Default

i have wind noise coming from the passenger side, the noise is coming right from the b pillar area and is right at the passengers right ear.

i always listen to music while driving, even at low music volume, it masks the wind noise and other rattles/ticks in the car.
modthispny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 12:08 PM   #6
bigblack06
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)
 
bigblack06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Beantown
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuhl View Post
Today I visited my Dealer to check out the wind noise that we are hearing - driver and passenger. They did agree after a road test that there is a wind noise. They also took out another GS 350 and noticed the same. They called CA to check if others reported this problem and the answer was no. The Service Consultant indicated this will be entered to review in more detail. While waiting, I looked at cars in the showroom. The triangle filler at the front of the windows on the GS 460 and ES models had a horizontal ridge molded in this filler piece. Not sure for the reason - wind noise reduction?

Also, wanted the oil changed at 3K miles and the Consultant indicated it was not necessary. Stated that oil change is not needed until 10K miles due to now using synthetic oil. I do not agree with this. Will have oil changed in the next week to remove any fines that may be in the oil of the new engine.

Requested changes to the number of lane change turn signal blinks and lowering windows when depressing FOB unlock. The latter was no problem due to using a laptop interface. However, the signal change is using a combination of turn signal and wiper levers. I have a copy of the instructions and never have seen anything so complex. I don't understand why these changes cannot be make by the owner similar to some of the other features.

This was a very interesting visit today. I would like to hear replies on the oil change. I guess I am from the old school in this regard.
I was gonna change my oil at 5K but I decided to get it done right before I leave to NJ which is in two weeks. My dealer also told me that it is not necessary, it being brand and seeing a post on here made me think twice about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogenic View Post
Wind noise is a known issue and there is two good threads about it in this forum. No resolution yet though. My qualified guess is drivers who dont notice it, have hearing deficit.
My music is to loud to hear wind noise
__________________

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Remote Start/Glass Breakage/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/LED Fogs/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/More To Come

Lexus GS 450h 2007 SOLD http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...450h-9909.html
bigblack06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 11:30 AM   #7
Neogenic
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 158
Default

Respect! Didnt mean to disrespect any disability of course. Vibrations does evoke other senses then just hearing. Different frequancies requires different range and wind is a high piched tone.
My volym settings is on 20 and still barelly audible lyrics att 85+ mph. Its frustrating. I pre-ordered this car on a leap of faith without even test driving it. Not going to happen again as you imagine. My 3GS was better insulated. Even test drove The old IS and it was better insulated. I am waiting for the next gen RX 2015 to downgrade or hopefully upgrade. This car will not get older then 3 years in my garage.
Neogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 12:27 PM   #8
Rexus300
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogenic View Post
Respect! Didnt mean to disrespect any disability of course. Vibrations does evoke other senses then just hearing. Different frequancies requires different range and wind is a high piched tone.
My volym settings is on 20 and still barelly audible lyrics att 85+ mph. Its frustrating. I pre-ordered this car on a leap of faith without even test driving it. Not going to happen again as you imagine. My 3GS was better insulated. Even test drove The old IS and it was better insulated. I am waiting for the next gen RX 2015 to downgrade or hopefully upgrade. This car will not get older then 3 years in my garage.
No worries! I agree that its a pain when you wait for something and its not what you expect. I have been through that before on a 2011 BMW 5 series. So I hope they can put more insulation to get that wind noise out. Hows the tire noise? What tires are you running? They can contribute to cabin noise on cement roads vs asphalts.
Rexus300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 07:54 AM   #9
Neogenic
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexus300 View Post
No worries! I agree that its a pain when you wait for something and its not what you expect. I have been through that before on a 2011 BMW 5 series. So I hope they can put more insulation to get that wind noise out. Hows the tire noise? What tires are you running? They can contribute to cabin noise on cement roads vs asphalts.
I am hopping that as well. Tire noise is not even noticable except for a subtile humming until 45 mph. The wind pitch just starts then and gets worse and louder after exceeding that with every +5 mph.. I drive only on Asphalt, no cement roads here in Sweden to my Knowladge yet:-)

I am awaiting next years model to see if they would do something about it. I will try applying some adhesives and elevating the actual insulations profile.
Neogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:15 PM   #10
TXChapa
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexus300 View Post
As for the oil change, you can and should replace it every 5k miles. I do that on my GS F-sport and I am a young guy and believe that its a fine balance between good oil and how much you drive. I hate to wait every 10k miles as recommended and my dealer does not mind this for many of their customers.

The wind noise is not that evident for me. I have a very quiet ride on my GS F-sport with the michelin tires. The car is very quiet compared to my Audi A8L.

I have not changed the lane changing blinkers yet but my dealer agreed to do that with no charge.
What kind of Michelin tires do you have?
TXChapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 08:54 AM   #11
silguy
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 20
Default

Guys/Girls,

Sorry for side tracking, but you do NOT need to change the oil that early. I mean, obviously, it's better to have everything new, but bottom line is, it doesn't degrade oil quality or anything. Do some online research. I was the same way a decade ago, paranoid and changing oil quite often. Then I came across multiple discussions online and service manuals stating otherwise, so I researched. I even sent my own oil to Blackstone Lab to get it tested after 8k miles on my SR20DE engine @ 281k miles to see if what I read was accurate. Note my mileage of my 20 year old car. Guess what, the report came back perfect and said I can even try 10k mile oil interval changes. With that said, on a brand new car and better designed engine, follow what Lexus tells you, save some money and time.
silguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 01:15 PM   #12
99alta
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ab.
Posts: 71
Default

I don't know if this helps. When I picked up my new GS350 I noticed problems with the weather stripping on the two front doors.
The piece that runs up from the door along the pillar to the roof, is detached at the top.
It looks like it is supposed to be held in by the silver trim around the outside of the car. But if you look closely you will see there is only a sliver of rubber that holds this piece in. Talked to the dealer (sent pic) and they noted the same problem on other cars on the lot!
Don't know how the tiny rubber piece is going to hold up. Either it's going to slip out of place ( like mine) or that tiny rubber tab will rip off with time. Poor design IMO.
99alta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 01:26 PM   #13
FastTags
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: tx
Posts: 646
Default

I recently chnaged oil for the first time at 10k. And yes switching the blinkers from 3 clicks to 5 is a pain, but there are very good instructions you cand find here ( it took me less than 6min) http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-fourth-generation/638866-lane-change-blinker-4.html#post8358578.

As far as wind noise, yes there is and I am to have hearing loss. Not much can be done about it at this point
FastTags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:58 PM   #14
sick21
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
sick21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 343
Default

Yeah my GS isn't any quieter than my Kia Optima...
sick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:58 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind noise waynedog LS460, LS460L and LS600h 16 09-08-12 07:31 PM
GS300 2006 Brake Caliper Malfunction GS300Miami GS - Third Generation 16 07-16-12 08:26 AM
MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Tucson mmarshall Car Chat 19 05-17-11 05:47 PM
Used Car Inspection Checklist (please provide feedback) lexusman08 Car Chat 13 10-21-09 10:54 PM
Wind noise Crawn ES350 (2007 - 2012) 6 05-22-08 07:30 AM


Tags
2013, 350, forum, gs, gs350, lexus, loud, noise, problem, road, sport, test, vibration, vinyl, wind

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info