GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS F-Sport RWD vs. AWD...help me decide

Old 04-29-13, 03:39 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS F-Sport RWD vs. AWD...help me decide

I'm very close to ordering a GS F-sport....just can't decide which to buy; a RWD or AWD vehicle.

Key differences, from what I can tell (RWD vs. AWD):
1) Ride height 15mm lower on RWD
2) Larger Front Brakes with 4-piston calipers and floating discs on RWD
3) Staggered width FR / RR wheels tires...235/40-19 FR & 265/35-19 RR on inch wider rims (AWD has 235/40-19's all the way around)
4) Final drive ratio slightly taller on RWD...3.62 vs. 3.77
5) Varable gear ratio steering on RWD

The emotional side of me is attracted to the RWD. I really like the stance as compared to the AWD vehicle. It may not sound like much, but 15mm combined with the wider rear tires/wheels really makes the car more visually striking...much more "hunkered down". I've seen both the RWD and AWD f-sport right next to each other, and the difference is dramatic. It's easy to spot which is which from across the parking lot without seeing the "AWD" emblem. Technically, I like the larger brakes and 4-piston callpers...though I've seen no evidence that they offer any tangible improvements vs. the AWD f-sport setup. I suspect, too, that fuel mileage would be slightly better with the RWD; lower ride height, taller final drive, and lower mass are all fuel friendly items.

The practical side of me says "just get the AWD, dummy!". I live in MI, so there are a handful of snowy days that AWD would be very welcome. This is the only reason AWD appeals to me...but is a very reasonable one. In the near term, I would most likely keep my current 2005 RX330 AWD for the short-term, so for at least this next winter, there would be no issue. But, I don't really prefer to keep and maintain two vehicles for myself when one would be perfectly sufficient.

So, anyone have any experience comparing the two? The cost difference between either for me is negligible. Actually, between the cost of replacing the more expensive RWD RR rubber and possibly getting a set of snow tires/wheels, the AWD would likely be less expensive (of course, sonw tires on AWD is very fun, too!!).

I only seem to recall one caranddriver article comparing a RWD f-sport to a non f-sport AWD. I think they mentioned almost no discernible difference between the two...but I'm very interested in some drivers real-world reviews.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-29-13, 03:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"just get the AWD, dummy!"
Old 04-29-13, 04:25 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have fewer days of snow driving and tend to not want to get out in the snow, then get the RWD. I decided the majority of other days where RWD is more fun beats the AWD. If I really need to get out, I will use the wife's AWD car.
Old 04-29-13, 05:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also consider if you don't keep a car long,a RWD is a bit cheaper but you may take a hit with a trade in RWD vehicle in MI.
You're also probably going to have to buy out of state or special order for a RWD which will likely cost you more.
A RWD is nicer to have,though...
Old 04-29-13, 05:22 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I would go with RWD. Snow is not a problem. All my previous GS's were all RWD and with winter tires on I had zero problems getting from point A to point B.
Old 04-29-13, 05:39 AM
TopKnife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the RWD. I went through the same dilemma and decided on an AWD. Now I am suffering the consequence every time when I look at the car. It sits so tall that it looks like an SUV. If you've already noticed the height difference now, definitely do not get AWD. Good luck!
Old 04-29-13, 06:18 AM
mush
Pole Position

Get the rwd. Not worth it to get the awd for a few days out of the year imo
Old 04-29-13, 07:44 AM
InfamousQ
Rookie

If you get a lot of snow, and/or live in an area with a bunch of idiot drivers you need to maneuver to avoid a collision (IE people who change in to your lane while you're right beside them) it's best to have AWD, especially in the winter. If you're confident in your driving abilities, & have a set of winter tires, then go RWD. This year we had snow since October till now... & more than usual too
Old 04-29-13, 07:48 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The AWD model is equipped with all-season tires. The RWD model is equipped with summer-only tires. Keep this in mind as summer-only tires are terrible when the temperature drops. Factor in a second set of wheels and tires to remain mobile during the winter months.

Consider this, are you really going to benefit from RWD on a day-to-day basis? Are you pushing the vehicle to 10/10ths on your way to work? Are you using the brakes so consistently and hard that brake fade a serious concern? It's not as if the AWD model is a heavy understeering mess of a vehicle. If I were going to get a vehicle inappropriate for the environment it's operating in, I'd go all out and get a Camaro ZL1 or Mustang Shelby GT 500, not a mid-sized Lexus sedan.
Old 04-29-13, 08:02 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm mad I had to go with AWD so I would say go with RWD be happy and have that fun!
Old 04-29-13, 08:42 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You're probably not going to be driving in too much snow everyday...so go for RWD.
Old 04-29-13, 04:43 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKnife
Get the RWD. I went through the same dilemma and decided on an AWD. Now I am suffering the consequence every time when I look at the car. It sits so tall that it looks like an SUV. If you've already noticed the height difference now, definitely do not get AWD. Good luck!
This appearance issue is truly my biggest dilemma. The AWD looks as if it's on stilts, relatively speaking. I was not aware of the wheel / tire and ride height differences prior to seeing the cars. The appearance difference prompted my to search for the change points.

The other "technical" specs are interesting to me, but really don't offer any tangible value. I like the idea of having larger brakes with 4 piston calipers and floating discs, but for my purposes, they offer no benefit.

If the AWD looked like the RWD, there would be no question which car I'd be taking home.
Old 05-05-13, 05:07 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved from So Cal to Philly a little over a year ago and bought a RWD F Sport last November when I was back in Ca for the same reason. I wanted the features and look that the RWD offered. In addition I've found that the dealers in So Cal are much easier to deal when it comes to making a deal and have a lot more inventory than the dealers around my area in PA who act as though you have to buy a car from them.

I have another car to drive for the few times a year it might snow bad enough that I can't drive and I live less than a mile away from work. I'd get the RWD if that's what you really want.
Old 05-07-13, 12:03 AM
baumusc
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to get the AWD but they don't have any on the west coast so I got the RWD version. Personally I wanted AWD because I do a lot of skiing and don't want to always break out the Pathfinder when I head up to Mammoth. The 6 hour drive would be a lot more pleasant in the GS.
Old 05-07-13, 04:45 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by Joeb427
"just get the AWD, dummy!"
Makes sense to me. 15 mm drop is just a bit over 1/2 inch.