GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Comparing Lexus to BMW and AUDI

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 11:46 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Congrats on making a great decision you will not regret!! I too have an obsidian f sport (when its clean and swirl free its the best color imo) having said that the first thing i would do is get the car opti sealed. The paint is very soft and sensitive and must be protected and cared for gently to keep it looking good. Again congrats and welcome to the Lexus family!!
Agreed. That is a good advice. If the car still has tapes on, I would ask the dealer to leave it on and not wash/touch the car.
Old 04-06-13, 03:25 PM
xyzstudio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its kinda late for my advise since u already pick 4gs over others.
i got my 4gs last nov. and i already wanna change to another car already.
i got my wife 528 last month and im very impress w/ the new 2.0 engine twin turbo they have in the new 5 only thing i dont like about bmw is quality of interior are way to cheap .
, i personally like audi i had 3 audis since 2008, but the reason for me to choose 4GS over the audi is the new the aggressive front looks and quality of interior and the audi has not change the body style but lights ( A3, S4 and A5) since 2008 and now i have my 4gs F for 6 months i regret i should pick 535 instead.

in ur case,
stylish-wise : i will go either 550 or 4GS
performance-wise: I will go with 550 1st ( engine, transmission) , audi 2nd ( transmission and quattro system )
handling-wise : Audi A6, I do know there's option on for 4GS as well but the price will be over 60K
interior-wise n comfor-wise: 4GS

now, if u ask me i will go with 550 lease only ( since they have so many small problem ) , the reason i will choose 4gs over others are only because the interior and looks thats all.

above are my personal opinions. btw congrats on ur new car.
Old 04-06-13, 03:35 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing i can't stand with audi, why on earth is the black liner optional and not standard on their s-line and s vehicles? 80k S6 black on black s6 with a non-black headliner????

Old 04-06-13, 05:44 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by qbizzy
Great responses from all you guys. Thanks!

Well, I went to South County Lexus - Mission Viejo. Met with Gina in the Internet Sales Dept (Director). Lets just say she was refreshing to work with. Never seen a fleet person work so hard to ensure that I was happy with the direction that I wanted to go. Long story short, almost pulled the trigger on the GS Hybrid but I just don't need the fuel savings (all of my gas is reimbursed). Yes, I love the environment, and yes the speed was nice but heck, no powered trunk! At that price point, I felt I was getting more value with the F-sport. Plus she told me that the LMF just changed for the f-sport making the monthly payments even cheaper than they were last month. So I am picking up my Black on Brown (Obsidian and Flax seed?!) tomorrow at noon.

Let me just say this, I shopped around for about a month, gathering all of the intel on the luxury vehicles which I felt belonged in this class. It feels good to make a sound decision. It feels even better to get a very, very good deal. I am very convinced that I would not have made a better deal anywhere else. If you are in SoCal, don't buy your Lexus until you've gone through the gauntlet with Gina. She knows her stuff and has a no BS approach to selling these cars.

Final report to come when my GS is parked in my driveway. Thanks for being cool folks.

QBIZZZY
congratz on your purchase... enjoy her and don't forget to post pics, we love car **** here.
Old 04-06-13, 05:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
one thing i can't stand with audi, why on earth is the black liner optional and not standard on their s-line and s vehicles? 80k S6 black on black s6 with a non-black headliner????

if you configure it online you have an option to add the black headliner for $0.00
Old 04-06-13, 06:24 PM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

Default Congrats!

The only German car I'd buy for reliability and longevity is Porsche.
In reality, the F-Sport is very much the Japanese 5-series, with better reliability, higher build quality, and better materials than the current 5 Series (albeit with less torque).
As they say, the Germans design it, and then the Japanese perfect it.
Old 04-06-13, 07:12 PM
4thGNGS350
Driver School Candidate

Great Choice!
Old 04-06-13, 07:48 PM
qbizzy
Driver School Candidate

So she's sitting in my driveway. I am very happy. I did opt for the paint sealer (Zytec or something that starts with the letter Z). Very happy with the price, the car, the staff. Overall, best buying experience I have ever had. Gina, Internet Sales Director, is a riot. Wish I could say more but you guys will think its suspect.

I appreciate all the feedback.

So... now that its home, my mind is already starting to wander. I wanted the ML system for the sound quality. But I want to up the speaker quality to something like Dynaudio Esotar2 and just replace the ML amp with a higher level amp for that faster sound and dynamic headroom. Now that I have a quiet car, I can enjoy whatever music my mood dictates! I will have to hunt around the forums. I want my GS to remain stock looking 100%. We'll see how the ML speakers break-in. They'll sound better after 20 hrs or so.

Thanks again folks. Attached are some lowQ pictures from the driveway. Not much for car **** unless you're into the repeats!
Attached Thumbnails Comparing Lexus to BMW and AUDI-photo-6.jpg   Comparing Lexus to BMW and AUDI-photo-5.jpg  
Old 04-06-13, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Congrats and welcome to the GS family!
Old 04-06-13, 08:04 PM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

Congrats! The ML is stunning for classical music especially. But it doesnt have the deep base for boombox music. Overall, a great system. Of course, satellite radio sound quality is mediocre, as in every system.
My settings: SURROUND sound OFF for HD radio and CD's. More pure sound.
SURROUND sound ON for satellite radio. It makes it fuller, but still not great.
Old 04-06-13, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! She is a beauty and you made a great decision! I'm one year into my F-Sport and still look for excuses to take the long way home.

BTW, I find myself most often in Sport mode because Sport + makes the suspension slightly harsher and Sport will still push you out of the corners very fast!

I think you've seen that this is a great forum and you will get lots of constructive information and support here.
Old 04-06-13, 08:42 PM
qbizzy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Hockey Guy. I remember reading your post suggesting those same settings. I will keep those in mind.

I do like my bass. But not for cruising with the windows down. I like all types of music and want only to be limited by my song selection. Its tough when you know how a song should sound like. I used to pay a lot of attention to my home system. Its not super high end but I have some nice digital components driving my paradigm speakers. Even in my office I have an optical out of my computer going into my receiver playing on paradigm studio 20's.

I guess I just want uninhibited sound.

Cheers
Qbizzy
Old 04-06-13, 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Congrats!

Have they already done the "paint sealant"? If not cancel it. Take it to a professional detailer and have something like OptiCoat put on instead. That dealer paint sealant is crap, and they'll likely swirl the living hell out of it applying it.
Old 04-06-13, 10:27 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by modthispny

+ 1. After having this black healdiner i will never go back to a car with that grey cheap look again.
Old 04-06-13, 11:39 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i know its a free option for black headliner, but why not just offer it standard for the s-line and s cars? who would ever opt out for a nasty looking headliner? lol

Quick Reply: Comparing Lexus to BMW and AUDI