GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is 15k service so expensive for 2013 GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 09:12 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

My money is hard earned as most of yours. I don't always get the excellent services at the dealer. I don't go there for the nice seats, donuts and coffee. But I take my car to the dealership when services/routine check up are needed. I'm sure there are great reliable independent guys. IMO, the cars have changed so much these days, it is hard for them to keep up to date with everything. I'm sure they can do most of the jobs fine and if everything goes well, everyone is happy. What counts is when something doesn't go as expected. Where do you think these dependable guys will turn to? More experienced guys? I'm not so sure. But for Lexus, they can always go up higher and if needed, they can go as high up as the design engineers from head quarter. Lastly if the car needs to stay longer, I get to drive a Lexus loaner not an Impala with smokey smell and dirty carpet. I have to admit one thing... I got Lexus cars so I won't have to go through this.
Old 04-04-13, 09:46 AM
leroycjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have learned is that when your services come up you can actually pick what you want done, most folks don't know that. So even though the service might ave 9 things on it hell you might only need actually 2 done by Lexus and the rest you can do yourself. Also on major services do some research on what is actually being done. I know with my old GS430 when i did my timing belt i got free labor and discounted water pump in the deal and a few other things because they actually have to take all that off to get to the part. It will keep a few dollars in your pocket.

Also with tire rotation if you don't have the stock Lexus tires your tire dealer should do this for free if you bought from them. Its like going grocery shopping you have to go to a few stores to get all the deals you need.
Old 04-04-13, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
But for Lexus, they can always go up higher and if needed, they can go as high up as the design engineers from head quarter. Lastly if the car needs to stay longer, I get to drive a Lexus loaner not an Impala with smokey smell and dirty carpet.D
But thats just the thing...what would they need to discuss with the design engineers at head quarters that would come up during an oil change and tire rotation? We're not talking about making repairs on these cars, they're new. We're talking about changing the oil and rotating the tires.

Remember, you're one of the members who's car has been damaged by the dealer...think of the hassle and worry that caused you vs taking it to a trusted independent who wouldn't have washed it.
Old 04-05-13, 05:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7867177-post1.html
Old 12-28-13, 04:57 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I normally do my own maintenance. I also prefer to shop online. Anyone know of a good place online, to buy OEM Lexus parts (including regular maintenance parts such as filters & oil)? Thanks,
Old 12-28-13, 06:21 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Originally Posted by larryinWA
I normally do my own maintenance. I also prefer to shop online. Anyone know of a good place online, to buy OEM Lexus parts (including regular maintenance parts such as filters & oil)? Thanks,
Sewell parts. Use your LexusClub username and it will save you from 15 to 25 percent.
Example: engine air filter is $28 with the discount you get it for 18 i think.
Old 01-16-14, 11:44 AM
jpblexus23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
At my dealer we charge $144.88 plus tax, but we also added in wiper inserts, key battery, and a/c filter replacement in addition to what Lexus has in the manual.

I hate to say it, but $244.00 sounds a bit high...
Where is your dealership located? Thanks.
Old 01-17-14, 06:48 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Goodness...let me try to remember if there was any maintenance that was cheaper than $200 for my Mercedes before I got GS...NONE. If most of maintenance is around $200 or less for this GS, I will be a happy camper. If I wanted to spend $35 for maintenance, I would have gotten a Civic. Better customer service, loaner car, maybe coffee and other things, all for more money, it is all part of admission into luxury brand.

"I can sleep in a $100/night nearby ocean motel, why would anyone spend many hundreds per night in a nicer hotel on ocean front? It is the same ocean we all swim in."

Where would you stay?
Old 01-17-14, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Its a question of value. Mercedes does not have a service that is only a tire rotation and a myriad of inspections. $200 is just too much to pay the dealer to essentially just rotate the tires. If thats their cheapest service, no service will be LESS than $200. Imagine what they charge when they do an oil change too?

The good news is not all dealers charge this way. My dealer charges $95 for the 15k service, which is very reasonable in my opinion given what goes with Lexus servicing the car.

If you're new to luxury cars, maybe you'd be wowed enough to spend $200 on something that takes about 1/2 an hour. Once you've been around them a while you realize the perks aren't worth overpaying. Theres a difference between paying a premium and overpaying.
Old 01-17-14, 08:31 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
"I can sleep in a $100/night nearby ocean motel, why would anyone spend many hundreds per night in a nicer hotel on ocean front? It is the same ocean we all swim in."
For the car servicing, the end product is the oil change, and filter change etc. If that is the same, does it really matter who does it?

For your analogy, if the only difference between the nicer hotel and the cheaper hotel is the price (and name of the hotel), and everything else (comfort, location, view) is the same, would you want to pay for the nicer hotel?

In all fairness, the dealership does have some additional comforts - if you want to wait, their lounges are better, and they even provide a loaner if you can't wait. And for that, I'm happy to pay a little more. But $200+ is probably a bit too much.
Old 01-17-14, 08:45 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

It all comes down to how much it costs someone to keep their business open for you. The quality of work may be the same but it costs them more to provide that same service. It's the same for all businesses. We have choices so do they.