Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

F-Sport ride in Eco vs. Non F-sport GS.

Old 03-27-13, 11:27 AM   #1
modthispny
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default F-Sport ride in Eco vs. Non F-sport GS.

how does ECO/Normal F-Sport ride compare to a regular GS in ECO/Normal.

i know wheels aren't as big, so ride will improve just from that, but suspension wise, is it a lot softer?

have a friendly debate w my friend how he says the F-Sport ride is too stiff compared to his E-class, so curious how the regular GS compares.

thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
modthispny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 12:25 PM   #2
bigblack06
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
how does ECO/Normal F-Sport ride compare to a regular GS in ECO/Normal.

i know wheels aren't as big, so ride will improve just from that, but suspension wise, is it a lot softer?

have a friendly debate w my friend how he says the F-Sport ride is too stiff compared to his E-class, so curious how the regular GS compares.

thanks
Yes it is softer, it's like that in normal mode as well. I couldn't say it's stiffer than a Mercedes as I haven't driven one. The GS can feel softer it's really the tires that cause it to feel real rough, the Bridgestones are trash. If it had Michelin's than probably the same.

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Remote Start/Glass Breakage/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/LED Golden Fogs/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/More To Come

Lexus GS 450h 2007 SOLD http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...450h-9909.html
bigblack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 03:10 PM   #3
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

Drove them both. The ECO mode in both cars are a joke. There Is a noticeable difference as far as the suspension in both cars are concerned.
Old 03-27-13, 03:36 PM   #4
modthispny
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydtoosic View Post
Drove them both. The ECO mode in both cars are a joke. There Is a noticeable difference as far as the suspension in both cars are concerned.
how's ECO mode a joke? it doesn't make a difference MPG wise? or the increased lag when you put your foot on the pedal? i've gotten used to ECO mode and it feels fine to me.

thanks
Old 03-27-13, 03:49 PM   #5
Rexus300
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack06 View Post
Yes it is softer, it's like that in normal mode as well. I couldn't say it's stiffer than a Mercedes as I haven't driven one. The GS can feel softer it's really the tires that cause it to feel real rough, the Bridgestones are trash. If it had Michelin's than probably the same.
Agreed. The bridgestones are junk and made my F-sport ride very sporty but compromised the ride over bumpy roads and highways. It felt stiffer then any of my BMWs! I switched the tires to nice Michelin Primacy MXM4 19 inch tires and the car feels PERFECT and asorbs the bumps well, smooth on the highways, little/no vibration felt anywhere and quiet ride. So if you dial into F-sport its very tolerable and still planted but no choppiness, harsheness or jitteriness that is felt with the OEM tires.
Rexus300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 04:07 PM   #6
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
how's ECO mode a joke? it doesn't make a difference MPG wise? or the increased lag when you put your foot on the pedal? i've gotten used to ECO mode and it feels fine to me.

thanks
my bad, i should have clarified my answer. as far as MPG... it is little to no difference. i didn't pay any attention to the increased lag. i actually used ECO mode for a few days and switched to normal ( only because i noticed you had to switch back to normal after restarting the car. it defaults back to normal when in Sport or Sport +). i don't accelerate quickly anyway so i see no need in utilizing ECO mode. TJMO.
Old 03-27-13, 04:31 PM   #7
williakz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexus300 View Post
I switched the tires to nice Michelin Primacy MXM4 19 inch tires and the car feels PERFECT and asorbs the bumps well, smooth on the highways, little/no vibration felt anywhere and quiet ride.
Agree on the Primacy MXM4 19s. I have them on my LS and they are wonderful!
williakz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 06:36 PM   #8
bigblack06
Lexus Champion

Quote:
my bad, i should have clarified my answer. as far as MPG... it is little to no difference. i didn't pay any attention to the increased lag. i actually used ECO mode for a few days and switched to normal ( only because i noticed you had to switch back to normal after restarting the car. it defaults back to normal when in Sport or Sport +). i don't accelerate quickly anyway so i see no need in utilizing ECO mode. TJMO.
Yeah I agree it really gives you 1-3 mpg gain.

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Remote Start/Glass Breakage/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/LED Golden Fogs/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/More To Come

Old 03-27-13, 08:39 PM   #9
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Fully agree. When I've been doing highway driving lately I've been trying ECO mode. This is usually 60 miles roundtrip. I haven't seen even a 1 MPG improvement over Normal mode. I guess maybe with a cross-country trip it would help, but not occasional driving. It just makes throttle response slow.

Re: the F-Sport ride, I don't find it harsh at all, but I also don't find the need to use Sport+ very often. Sport mode gives me a better ride and the oomph to power out of corners nicely.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-27-13 at 08:43 PM..
dseag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:03 PM   #10
yardie876
Lexus Champion

yardie7326

I have noticed seen an incremental improvement in mpg with the combined use of ECO mode and meter, but my heart would stop from lack of motivation while babying the throttle like that.
yardie876 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 02:25 AM   #11
Chris8152
Driver

As a hybrid owner I have found that in ECO mode I do get a better m.p.g, this is because I have found in ECO mode the engine switches of more when driving and when stopped.
Chris8152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 07:19 PM   #12
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it's me, but I virtually always drive my AWD F-sport in Sport+ mode, and even then I wish the suspension were a bit firmer. (That's probably because my other car-- for the last three years--is a 911). Next week I'm putting on new summer performance tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, (on new Vossen wheels), so we'll see!
Hockyguy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 09:24 PM   #13
052SI
Pole Position

ECO helps with mpg's for sure.

The Bridgestone's on the F Sport RWD are Potenza 050's summer max perf tires and are a far sportier/better handling tire than the Michelin Primacies and part of the reason the car did so well in most handling tests. The 050's are not as comfortable a riding tire due to it being a max perf summer tire.

With the FS tire pressures set at 35/36 cold the ride is kinda harsh even in ECO and much more so in S/SP, I think the car should have a comfort mode too.

With regard to the comp of the E Class was it an E Sport or E Lux model?

Last edited by 052SI; 03-28-13 at 10:04 PM..
052SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 11:08 PM   #14
modthispny
Pole Position

E sport.

the car doesnt handle for ***** though, the E class. sport or not.
Old 03-29-13, 03:48 AM   #15
bigblack06
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8152 View Post
As a hybrid owner I have found that in ECO mode I do get a better m.p.g, this is because I have found in ECO mode the engine switches of more when driving and when stopped.
Yeah it works a little different for gas engine only, the hybrid battery can switch on and off or stay constant, as with the regular GS 350 we don't really see a major gain.

Old 03-29-13, 03:48 AM

Tags
350, eco, fsport, give, gs, gs350, lexus, mpg, normal, ride, sport, vibration, vinly, vinyl, wrapped