GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS 3rd Gen vs. 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 01:14 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GS 3rd Gen vs. 4th Gen

I own a 2008 GS 350 RWD with 155K miles - pristine condition - awesome ride.
Considering buying the 4th Gen - would prefer no more than 25K miles.

For those of you who have owned both generations I would appreciate your comments on the 4th vs. your previous 3rd.
Also any year models you prefer such as 2015 over 2016 etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-18, 04:30 PM
HotRod2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Original owner of a 2006 GS430 now with 105,000 miles, this car was driven by my wife and for all intents has been very reliable. It has been serviced by my dealer for all services including oil changes. The rear window screen quit moving so disconnected it in the down position. The drivers side mirror started making a noise every time the car started and would time out in 15 seconds or so, had it replaced. Lastly, had a couple struts leaking, those were replaced by dealer. The car is hard on brakes and tires, lucky to get 25k out of a Michelins' set rotating every 5k... The 430 has been shifted down to my 16-yo son. He is a great kid and good driver, hopefully it survives.

Our 2018 GS350 F has about 300 miles on it so too early to make many comments. Power is fine, I'd say real similar to the 430 in terms of acceleration buy obliviously much lighter feeling. My wife loves the electronics. Time will tell but I think the build quality of the '18 is on par with the '06 which was very good.
Old 08-22-18, 08:12 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

The 3rd generation GS is more of a cruiser in its stock form.
To me, the seats on the 3rd generation GS are better than the base seats in a premium 4GS (if you step up to a Lux model or F-Sport you'll get the better seats and I recommend that highly).
The 3GS trunk is a bit cramped compared to the 4GS which has a wider "mouth."
The 3GS also had the touchscreen interface and the 4GS has the mouse-like controller (i would've preferred a touchscreen on the 4GS).
The 3GS has the same engine and transmission as the 4GS so you won't feel too much difference in power, smoothness or MPG.

Where the 4GS excels is in the drive-ability area--it takes curves and turns and stays planted with less body roll than the 3GS..has paddle shifters for those so inclined and lots of standard equipment making it a real value. Better options like Blind Spot Monitoring, Heads Up Display, Cold Weather Pkg, F-Sport variant with the AVS and rear-steer on RWD models help push the 4GS into the modern era compared to the previous gen. Also, its got a better overall infotainment system with Lexus Enform.

The ML system in the 3GS and the base sound system in the 4GS sound very similar to me.

If you can go for the 2016, there are even more safety features standard and the nav map goes full screen. If not, the 2015 has a lot of updates (also pwr closing trunk was an option available on 2014+ model GS's).

My dad has a 2011 GS350 AWD with 43k (and Mark Levinson) miles in pristine condition and I drive it every so often. I own a 2013 GS350 AWD premium with 55k miles.
Old 08-22-18, 08:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HotRod2
Original owner of a 2006 GS430 now with 105,000 miles, this car was driven by my wife and for all intents has been very reliable. It has been serviced by my dealer for all services including oil changes. The rear window screen quit moving so disconnected it in the down position. The drivers side mirror started making a noise every time the car started and would time out in 15 seconds or so, had it replaced. Lastly, had a couple struts leaking, those were replaced by dealer. The car is hard on brakes and tires, lucky to get 25k out of a Michelins' set rotating every 5k... The 430 has been shifted down to my 16-yo son. He is a great kid and good driver, hopefully it survives.

Our 2018 GS350 F has about 300 miles on it so too early to make many comments. Power is fine, I'd say real similar to the 430 in terms of acceleration buy obliviously much lighter feeling. My wife loves the electronics. Time will tell but I think the build quality of the '18 is on par with the '06 which was very good.
That 4.3 engine is OUTSTANDING and is probably one of the best engines Lexus/Toyota has built. I had a 2001 GS430 and still miss that V8!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (08-23-18)
Old 08-22-18, 09:29 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I don’t own a 3GS, but currently there is a 2002 136k mile 2GS and 160k 2013 4GS in my driveway. They have both been extremely reliable cars for my family and I.
Old 08-23-18, 12:41 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
That 4.3 engine is OUTSTANDING and is probably one of the best engines Lexus/Toyota has built. I had a 2001 GS430 and still miss that V8!
Ditto. But the awd has allowed me to drive in conditions my 2GS just couldn't handle.
Old 08-23-18, 12:55 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Depends on what year, but they changed the engine in the 4GS. It no longer uses the 2GR-FSE like was used in the 2008+ 3GS. 2016+ uses the 2GR-FKS.
Also, 4GS no longer has tape deck
Back seats are cramped in both generations, but better than the IS
Trunk is much better in the 4GS...especially if you're a golfer.
Electronics upgraded, better lighting.

I will say the Black Sapphire Pearl color of my 2008 was likely the best color I've ever seen. I like my current blue, but that color was amazing.
Old 08-23-18, 01:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Ditto. But the awd has allowed me to drive in conditions my 2GS just couldn't handle.
100% - I used to slip and lose grip after going through automatic car washes in my 2GS (tires would get that slippery tire shine/soapy/suddy water mixture when leaving). Never happens with the 4GS.
Old 08-23-18, 04:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Styling is subjective, but 3GS has a more attractive rear quarter and dash, while 4GS has a more attractive front quarter.
The taller and boxier 4GS is more spacious inside, esp the trunk, and the size of its opening.

3GS has soft seats, if that's what you like, while 4GS has firm sporty seats, if that's what you like.
Because 3GS rear seats are less bucket shaped and supportive, 3GS is more comfortable for seating 3 adults across the rear.
Unlike the 3GS's 2-way Normal/Power Mode, the 4GS's has a 3-way Eco/Normal/Sports Mode too, and the 4GS's Sports Mode also comes with a lot of engine braking - if you like that.

Engines very similar, though 4GS heavier and a tad slower, esp with the new 8 speed auto tranny.
However, 4GS's 8 speed auto shifts more smoothly than 3GS's 6 speed unit.

The 3GS has soft springs and soft dampers, hence little steering sharpness, but 3GS does have a very compliant, and floatier low frequency vertical oscillation ride which is more comfortable.
Switching the electronic dampers to sports will make the 3GS dampers firm for superb body control, however it is still the soft coil springs, body roll and weight transfer that determines the bluntness of 3GS steering, yet 3GS superior ride compliance.
The 4GS has firmer springs and firmer dampers, with sharper steering feel, quicker agility & more body control at speed, but at a cost to a much firmer & more tiring ride; with 4GS, I want to often taking the longer route, to avoid driving over bad roads.
4GS Sport + Mode is heavier steering with more feel, and even firmer damping and body control again.
Overall, 3GS has better ride, while 4GS has better handling.

The 4GS has a much more rigid body structure than 3GS over bumps.
As speed rises, the 4GS cruises more and more quietly than the old 3GS; 4GS seems to have less wind and less road noise.

The 3GS quad headlights actually has superior high beam illumination over the 4GS headlights, although the latter are active and the headlights turn left/right.
I find the 3GS touch screen much easier to use, because the 4GS joystick keeps overshooting.
4GS has a more powerful air con system, and more powerful air con front seats.
The Mark Levinson in 4GS has 835 Watts delivering much cleaner and more effortless sound - compared to old 3GS with only 315 Watts having to work hard & strain.

4GS has active lane assist system.
Both cars have been equally reliable for me.

Btw, my 3GS front brakes really squeal - even if I replace for brand new OEM rotors, pads & shims - while this doesn't happen in my 4GS Luxury.
Why? I suspect the 4GS has air cooling ducts that remove brake dust from 4GS front rotors.
In 3GS, I must periodically use high pressure water spray to remove brake dust; removing the front wheels to clean the inside of the wheels is even better - this gives temporary squeak free operation for a month or two, until the brake dust rebuilds.
4GS better brakes than 3GS too.

Overall, I would say my 4GS is better than my 3GS, but isn't that what you would expect?

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-23-18 at 08:17 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by peteharvey:
Cwang (07-22-21), JasonShanj (07-22-21), jlo0109 (12-17-18), pelangus (07-29-21), R_Rated (07-23-21)
Old 07-22-21, 01:43 AM
JasonShanj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Styling is subjective, but 3GS has a more attractive rear quarter and dash, while 4GS has a more attractive front quarter.
The taller and boxier 4GS is more spacious inside, esp the trunk, and the size of its opening.

3GS has soft seats, if that's what you like, while 4GS has firm sporty seats, if that's what you like.
Because 3GS rear seats are less bucket shaped and supportive, 3GS is more comfortable for seating 3 adults across the rear.
Unlike the 3GS's 2-way Normal/Power Mode, the 4GS's has a 3-way Eco/Normal/Sports Mode too, and the 4GS's Sports Mode also comes with a lot of engine braking - if you like that.

Engines very similar, though 4GS heavier and a tad slower, esp with the new 8 speed auto tranny.
However, 4GS's 8 speed auto shifts more smoothly than 3GS's 6 speed unit.

The 3GS has soft springs and soft dampers, hence little steering sharpness, but 3GS does have a very compliant, and floatier low frequency vertical oscillation ride which is more comfortable.
Switching the electronic dampers to sports will make the 3GS dampers firm for superb body control, however it is still the soft coil springs, body roll and weight transfer that determines the bluntness of 3GS steering, yet 3GS superior ride compliance.
The 4GS has firmer springs and firmer dampers, with sharper steering feel, quicker agility & more body control at speed, but at a cost to a much firmer & more tiring ride; with 4GS, I want to often taking the longer route, to avoid driving over bad roads.
4GS Sport + Mode is heavier steering with more feel, and even firmer damping and body control again.
Overall, 3GS has better ride, while 4GS has better handling.

The 4GS has a much more rigid body structure than 3GS over bumps.
As speed rises, the 4GS cruises more and more quietly than the old 3GS; 4GS seems to have less wind and less road noise.

The 3GS quad headlights actually has superior high beam illumination over the 4GS headlights, although the latter are active and the headlights turn left/right.
I find the 3GS touch screen much easier to use, because the 4GS joystick keeps overshooting.
4GS has a more powerful air con system, and more powerful air con front seats.
The Mark Levinson in 4GS has 835 Watts delivering much cleaner and more effortless sound - compared to old 3GS with only 315 Watts having to work hard & strain.

4GS has active lane assist system.
Both cars have been equally reliable for me.

Btw, my 3GS front brakes really squeal - even if I replace for brand new OEM rotors, pads & shims - while this doesn't happen in my 4GS Luxury.
Why? I suspect the 4GS has air cooling ducts that remove brake dust from 4GS front rotors.
In 3GS, I must periodically use high pressure water spray to remove brake dust; removing the front wheels to clean the inside of the wheels is even better - this gives temporary squeak free operation for a month or two, until the brake dust rebuilds.
4GS better brakes than 3GS too.

Overall, I would say my 4GS is better than my 3GS, but isn't that what you would expect?
Thanks for the extensive summary of comparison.
Old 07-23-21, 02:28 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

I owned a 2010 GS460. The find the seats more comfortable. It had no rattles. Unlike pre 2010 builds. Trunk was soft closing. More aggressive stance from the back.

bad points. Had no steering feel, quite numb. Hard to put power down with the V8 without wheel spin. Visibility wasn’t the best compared to 4GS.

the paint is harder and more durable than the 4GS.
The following users liked this post:
peteharvey (07-24-21)
Old 07-23-21, 06:08 PM
R_Rated
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I currently have a 3GS hybrid RWD and a 4GS AWD Luxury.

Both with the 2GRFSE.

They are pretty different, honestly.

Echoing what many have said here, yes the 4GS has a bigger trunk.

The seats are a little bit more comfortable in the 3GS but the materials, fit and finish, and controls in the 4GS are largely improved from the 3rd gen. Most of them are logical improvements like larger perforations in the leather for more effective cooling through the seats, better style and layout of buttons, etc. The displays are more refined in the 4GS as well. For example, the 3GS doesn't let you view the readings from the TPMS sensors, but will take over the whole dash screen with a warning if there's a sensor not working. By contrast, the 4GS will let you see your actual tire pressures and if you don't have sensors installed in a set of rims it will just flash the little tpms light awhile and let you go about your business. Many of these updates seem like logical improvements based on shortcomings or annoyances from the 3GS.

The suspension is also a different setup. The 3GS has a weird upside down coilover setup in the back but it seems to handle better and is a hair softer over bumps too. I don't know if this is because of differences between RWD and AWD, but it's there.

The 4GS feels a bit wider and bulkier and seems to transmit more discomfort over bumps while at the same time not being any sharper around corners in stock form.

The 3GS was a tad overengineered in some areas and as a result has a couple known issues that you'd have to watch out for. I think some people had issues with water pumps on the 3rd gen 350s. They're generally pretty good though. The 4GS by contrast has been rock solid reliable in the 8 years I've had mine. I only had to replace a serp belt cause I got oil on it, and a door handle because someone mishandled it.

Earlier 2GRs can use 5w30 whereas you need 0w20 for later ones. Not a big difference.

Both of mine have adaptive headlights, but it's way more noticeable on the 4GS. Another logical improvement.

The 4GS styling looks more current and still not overly flashy or dumb looking IMO. By the same token, the front end of the 3GS looks dated. There's no way around it. The rear still looks good to me, and I love the car's lines. But the front end looks old af.

Both are great cars but there are some noticeable differences. If I could only have one it would probably be the 4GS.

note, my 4GS is wearing it's winter rims and tires which are sized down from stock.

Last edited by R_Rated; 07-23-21 at 06:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by R_Rated:
AJLex19 (07-23-21), JasonShanj (08-20-21), signdetres (07-25-21)