GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paint Protection Film Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 11:06 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film Installation

Had clear bra installed onto my obsidian 4GS today. Even at around 1,200 miles, I already had a few minor chips. Coverage includes full hood, full fenders, full front bumper cover, headlights, rearview mirrors. Door handle pocket pattern is not available yet so my installer is going to find a car with a similar shaped pocket and put those in for me in the next few days.

Material used is 3M Ventureshield. Absolutely no orange peeling. Again, I always recommend getting a good installer. The guy that did mine has been doing it full time for almost 15 years with well over a thousand cars. He does a lot of exotics and is regularly called into dealerships. He also recently did the full front of an LFA and has fully wrapped Ferrari's.

As expected, the results were stunning. One of the few places I managed to get a picture of the edge line was on the rear view mirror.

Sorry for the rough outdoor shots. Shooting a black car is a challege because it is so reflective. I'll have studio shots once the exterior mods are done.

Old 03-18-13, 06:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Looks great! If you don't mind me asking what did that set you back?

Its a must have IMHO
Old 03-18-13, 07:06 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

looking good CS...
Old 03-18-13, 07:19 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah looks good, I can't even see the lines on the fender or the front. pretty good.
Old 03-18-13, 07:39 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Someone finally showed off his car. Looking good terry. I'm glad you went with full hood. I saw one with only the front done. The margin will show up and stain eventually. Love the pictures of the side mirror. Looks like you got some good lens there. Can't wait to see the studio shots.
Old 03-18-13, 09:06 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Looks great! If you don't mind me asking what did that set you back?

Its a must have IMHO
Full hood and fender coverage is roughly twice the price of partial hood and fender coverage on average. My install cost $1k and that was with a discount as a returning customer.

Full coverage is steep, but I just didn't want the seam showing on this car as I had on my last car. Don't get me wrong though, I was still very happy with the partial coverage on my last car and never had a problem with buildup on the exposed edges. I would have done the partial if money were tight .. but I had an insurance payout that made this pill easier to swallow.
Old 03-18-13, 09:18 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Someone finally showed off his car. Looking good terry. I'm glad you went with full hood. I saw one with only the front done. The margin will show up and stain eventually. Love the pictures of the side mirror. Looks like you got some good lens there. Can't wait to see the studio shots.
Just wanted to try and show the film on the side mirror as well. Had a hard time hiding in the relection on that one. Just one of the headaches of shooting outoors with lots of things in the background to reflect. I used a Nikon body and lens.
Old 03-18-13, 10:38 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Had clear bra installed onto my obsidian 4GS today. Even at around 1,200 miles, I already had a few minor chips. Coverage includes full hood, full fenders, full front bumper cover, headlights, rearview mirrors. Door handle pocket pattern is not available yet so my installer is going to find a car with a similar shaped pocket and put those in for me in the next few days.

Material used is 3M Ventureshield. Absolutely no orange peeling. Again, I always recommend getting a good installer. The guy that did mine has been doing it full time for almost 15 years with well over a thousand cars. He does a lot of exotics and is regularly called into dealerships. He also recently did the full front of an LFA and has fully wrapped Ferrari's.

As expected, the results were stunning. One of the few places I managed to get a picture of the edge line was on the rear view mirror.

Sorry for the rough outdoor shots. Shooting a black car is a challege because it is so reflective. I'll have studio shots once the exterior mods are done.
Looks good! What made your get the Venture Shield over others? Are you concerned about yellowing? I'm thinking of doing the same on mine.
Old 03-18-13, 11:22 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Looks good! What made your get the Venture Shield over others? Are you concerned about yellowing? I'm thinking of doing the same on mine.
I've never had a problem with yellowing. I had the same material on my last car for 6 years. The car was parked outside in Southern CA sun everyday while I'm at work.

My installer has used Ventureshield since he started and says he's tried them all out at one point or another and believes Ventureshield to be the best. I guess the bottom line is I give a lot of weight to my installer's credentials.
Old 03-18-13, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Full hood and fender coverage is roughly twice the price of partial hood and fender coverage on average. My install cost $1k and that was with a discount as a returning customer.

Full coverage is steep, but I just didn't want the seam showing on this car as I had on my last car. Don't get me wrong though, I was still very happy with the partial coverage on my last car and never had a problem with buildup on the exposed edges. I would have done the partial if money were tight .. but I had an insurance payout that made this pill easier to swallow.
Thats a great deal, I paid $700 for 1/3rd hood and fenders, full bumper, mirrors and headlights. It seems that like a lot of things its a little cheaper in CA. I called around and could not find anybody that would do the full hood and fenders here for less than $1,500.

I definitely would have done the whole thing had mine not been a lease. I'm happy with the 1/3rd though.
Old 03-18-13, 12:41 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't too happy with VentureShield from the previous cars I've owned that had it. My installer has been using Xpel Ultimate for awhile now and it is much better IMO. I did a full hood, fender, bumper, headlights, foglights, sidemirrors and rocker panels on my M6 for $1200 last summer. My GS is going for a partial hood and fender, bumper, headlights and sidemirrors for $650 this Sat.
Old 03-18-13, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm curious, what is it about the VentureShield you weren't happy with?

I ask because I don't see what there is to be unhappy with. Its clear, matches the gloss and peel of the paint. I haven't had it scratch or anything tear through it. I just got back from a trip and had no staining from bug splats...
Old 03-18-13, 04:41 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The texture wasn't as clear as Xpel Ultimate. It was easier to spot a VentureShield film on a partial application than Xpel Ultimate. That's what made move to Xpel.
Old 03-18-13, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Texture on mine is perfectly clear, matches the peel of the paint perfectly.
Old 03-18-13, 05:19 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I was told the Xpel is capable of self healing. Not sure how true this is. I want to trust this guy though.

Just wanted to try and show the film on the side mirror as well. Had a hard time hiding in the relection on that one. Just one of the headaches of shooting outoors with lots of things in the background to reflect. I used a Nikon body and lens.
Happy to see another Nikon user here. Did you use prime to take that 2nd shot?

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Installation