GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paint Protection Film Installation

Old 07-27-13, 04:55 PM
RobertE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my complete front done along with rocker panels with the VentureShield and I have a couple questions about upkeep that I'm hoping someone here may know. They gave me a little pamphlet on the VentureShield that states do not use clay, rubbing compound or abrasive material which I understand, but it also says "to avoid discoloration do not use tinted/colored waxes, petroleum based cleaners or alcohol". What would anyone recommend for a wax that does not have any color in it, basically a clear color wax. I have Zaino, I have Zymoil and numerous other waxes but they have color to them. Am I being overly cautious and should just zaino it or please let me know what you would recommend. My car is Liquid Platinum and just 1 week old so I want to get some wax on it soon. thanks for any replies.
Old 07-27-13, 05:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Zaino Z2 is fine.Also Z6 and Z8 as a detailer.
You can also use Plexus which is quick and easy but it doesn't last very long.
Old 07-27-13, 05:12 PM
RobertE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thank you Joeb427 I appreciate the quick response, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Old 07-27-13, 07:25 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I also use Zaino products on all of my cars with PPF.
Old 10-14-14, 11:10 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Update:

After a little more than a year and a half of daily driving to work and parking in the sun, the clear bra on the hood started looking like it had a hazy matte finish. I had the material pulled off and it looked kind of yellow too. It was kind of difficult to photograph, but here is the material removed:

My installer switched to Nano Fusion material since my original install and used it on the hood:

The rest of the previous installation looked fine so I assume the direct sun light on the hood in combination with the obsidian paint was just too much for the 3m Ventureshield.
Old 11-01-14, 05:08 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Question about your install. Is there little notches cut out of the material along the front edge of the hood?

Just got my new GS350 done and am not happy.
First of all I was up sold on Xpel Ultimate instead of the Lexus 3m film. First they tried to deliver the car with crap under the bra. So I waited while they replaced it. Then I get home and notice all this dirt along the whole edge on the hood. I'm looking at what appears to be a hack job of someone trying to cut a straight line when I notice there are three fairly deep scratches on the hood. Right along the edge of the film, the installer must have been using a sharp tool and gouged the paint.

Then it dawns on me that I questioned the dealership on why they put 3m paint protection on all the sales documentation instead of the much more expensive Xpel Ultimate. They all gave blank stares and the salesman pipes up that Xpel is made by 3m, which is not the case.

So now I'm a little POed and wondering how I can tell what product was actually installed? 3m or Xpel Ultimate. As well as how to handle the scratches the dealership put in my brand new car!

P.S. I had the 3m product on my Acura TL and there was no little notches cut out of the material anywhere. As well never any dirt build up on the edges. When I feel the edges on the material I had installed on the GS it feels like the edge is serrated as if cut with serrated scissors or something? My previous 3m product was laser cut and has lasted 9 years!

Last edited by 99alta; 11-01-14 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 11-03-14, 07:34 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost 1.5 years later of my initial install, I'm pretty happy w/ my own work and the film itself. I used 3M scotchguard. I really like the 3M scotchguard and I will get it again. So far, in SoCal, it's still clear and I don't see any yellowing, yet. My only gripe is that it's not thick enough, but it's one of the thicker ones out there and "how thick" is debatable. I would try to find something thicker for your headlights as I see rock chips that went thru this film already. So I'm going to try to find something thicker for my headlights.

Alta99: I didn't have any corner cutouts on mine and I don't think mine was designed to wrap around the edges like yours. It's unfortunate you're having a bad experience w/ installers. This stuff is hard to install, even pros mess it up. And of course, you have to take time in finding a reliable installer, that's why I chose to do it myself.
Old 11-03-14, 11:52 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have xpel ultimate installed on my Lexus 3GS -
Full front - been over a year no yellowing looks as new =)
Old 11-03-14, 12:05 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
Question about your install. Is there little notches cut out of the material along the front edge of the hood?

Just got my new GS350 done and am not happy.
First of all I was up sold on Xpel Ultimate instead of the Lexus 3m film. First they tried to deliver the car with crap under the bra. So I waited while they replaced it. Then I get home and notice all this dirt along the whole edge on the hood. I'm looking at what appears to be a hack job of someone trying to cut a straight line when I notice there are three fairly deep scratches on the hood. Right along the edge of the film, the installer must have been using a sharp tool and gouged the paint.

Then it dawns on me that I questioned the dealership on why they put 3m paint protection on all the sales documentation instead of the much more expensive Xpel Ultimate. They all gave blank stares and the salesman pipes up that Xpel is made by 3m, which is not the case.

So now I'm a little POed and wondering how I can tell what product was actually installed? 3m or Xpel Ultimate. As well as how to handle the scratches the dealership put in my brand new car!

P.S. I had the 3m product on my Acura TL and there was no little notches cut out of the material anywhere. As well never any dirt build up on the edges. When I feel the edges on the material I had installed on the GS it feels like the edge is serrated as if cut with serrated scissors or something? My previous 3m product was laser cut and has lasted 9 years!
My ppf was installed with notches on it edges too. Thus is so that you can wrap around the edges without worrying about excess or wrinkle corners. You have to do the same thing for films installed on smart phones too. It is perfectly normal, and at a distance you cannot see it either. Scatches in the other hand are unacceptable. Some installers will put the ppf film on your car and use a razor blade to cut it to size. My installer already had it precut by a computer printer/trimmer so the install was perfect. Come back to the installers and show them those scratchesthey show reimburse you.
Old 11-03-14, 01:39 PM
terrycs
Instructor

There are no corner notches on mine. As you can see from the picture I posted, my installer used one giant piece from a roll and cut it to fit as he smoothed it out. The edge on mine are wrapped under the hood so there is no exposed surfaces on the top or the edges. He did all the other pieces the same way so that there are no exposed surfaces.

As the others have said, scratched paint is unacceptable for a product that is supposed to protect against scratches.
Old 11-06-14, 11:41 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

They did a great job on the car. Experience always show's at the end..
Old 11-08-14, 11:23 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Update
Found out the material installed was in fact Xpel Ultimate.
Turns out we do in fact have an Authorized Xpel dealer in town! Who comes highly recommended by one of the guys in Xpels head office. Seems to be a small world as a lot of the top notch installers of Xpel know each other personally!
I come to find the dealer charged me TWICE the going rate to install the product. My fault as I had priced out 3m and was thrown for a loop when they offered me the super duper Xpel Ultimate.

So I go to my salesman and tell him I want the product they installed removed and any and all scratches repaired. So far there is only one scratch that is deep enough to catch my finger nail, so I'm hoping they will be able to buff out the scratches. Also told home there is no way their installer is going to touch my vehicle again and I'll have it done where I live. He doesn't listen too well and kept telling me they would bring it to a different shop. Still trying to get their pound of flesh out of me one way or another.
Finally I've had enough of him and speak to the sales manger. He seemed genuinely apologetic and disappointed the incident happened in the first place. I told him I wanted my money back, and would be taking care of the PPF install myself. I fully expected him to give me the song and dance that they couldn't give me my cash back but would give me a store credit. But he didn't go there! Apologized again and said he would have a cheque cut for the full amount!
I was very pleased with his approach and the fact they would actually refund my $$ and not just give me a store credit.
So the car has an appointment to have all the PPF removed and the scratches repaired.
Then when it gets home I'm having the whole car done in Xpel Ultimate by a very experienced picky installer. Every package they sell!! And the best part is I only have to fork out another $500, that's it $1700 and my car will be pretty much totally wrapped in Xpel Ultimate.
Old 11-08-14, 03:42 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear the Lexus dealer took care of you (in a way).
Old 11-08-14, 04:57 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by obturator
Glad to hear the Lexus dealer took care of you (in a way).
Actually I'm impressed with overall Lexus experience, except for the salesman.

I belive it was the salesman putting too much pressure on the installer, to fix up the first minor issue with crap under the PPF. Apparently the installer saw it and wanted to do a full reinstall the next time I was in for service. The salesman pressured the installer into fixing it NOW, at the very end of the day.

It's been my experience in the past that once the deal is done, you aren't getting any cash back only a credit. So to have the dealer give my cash back helped to restore some good will.