GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

First Long Distance Trip!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 03:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default First Long Distance Trip!

Hey, so I took my first long distance trip to New York Ugh!! Where do I start. Well the ride was definitely sporty when in sport + mode which is expected, my gf started to complain about the bumpiness as she was trying to nap. I pressed the normal mode which I have never used, I must say it felt vey soft almost like an LS when driving it. The next thing was the gas mileage, I didn't get great numbers, but that may be due to the excessive speeding I did they were 18-19 mpg. I had a blast in the car and passing was a very easy. I gotta thank Syd and detailers domain for the sonax shield, car was beading in the snow very well. Last I have found that these tires need to go asap, when I get back I need to look for replacement tires. I truly hate NY roads, I think my rims are bent after the potholes I hit, can't even avoid them.
Old 03-16-13, 04:00 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Hey, so I took my first long distance trip to New York Ugh!! Where do I start. Well the ride was definitely sporty when in sport + mode which is expected, my gf started to complain about the bumpiness as she was trying to nap. I pressed the normal mode which I have never used, I must say it felt vey soft almost like an LS when driving it. The next thing was the gas mileage, I didn't get great numbers, but that may be due to the excessive speeding I did they were 18-19 mpg. I had a blast in the car and passing was a very easy. I gotta thank Syd and detailers domain for the sonax shield, car was beading in the snow very well. Last I have found that these tires need to go asap, when I get back I need to look for replacement tires. I truly hate NY roads, I think my rims are bent after the potholes I hit, can't even avoid them.
welcome to N.Y. these streets will tear up your car in minutes. i must say that there is a difference between normal and sport+, although not that much, i only feel the comfort when i'm on a smooth road/street etc. you're right , the gas mileage sucks. the sonax works wonders, when i get my car back from lexus (they didn't get the seatbelt in yet) i'm going to wash her and apply 2 coats of SNS. BTW where are you in N.Y. or did you leave already? i bet you didn't see any GS F Sports on the street.
Old 03-16-13, 04:35 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you must drive that car hard to only get that mileage. Like Syd said in one of my other posts, I drive the heck out of mine in terms of distance. Today I had a two hour round trip and averaged just over 25mpg. Most of it was on I-95 doing 80mph too.
Old 03-16-13, 07:27 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess if you're used to sport or sp then normal would feel kinda soft but it's still pretty firm especially if the tires are at the fac cold pressures. I think it would be nice if in addition to sports, sp and normal, there was a comfort mode too especially for rough roads.
Old 03-16-13, 08:58 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
welcome to N.Y. these streets will tear up your car in minutes. i must say that there is a difference between normal and sport+, although not that much, i only feel the comfort when i'm on a smooth road/street etc. you're right , the gas mileage sucks. the sonax works wonders, when i get my car back from lexus (they didn't get the seatbelt in yet) i'm going to wash her and apply 2 coats of SNS. BTW where are you in N.Y. or did you leave already? i bet you didn't see any GS F Sports on the street.
Lol I was gonna post that I didn't see any GS -Fsports. These roads are killing me, I'm staying in tarrytown and heading out tonight to Manhattan to going clubbing. I leave tomorrow.
Old 03-16-13, 09:05 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jscgs350
Wow, you must drive that car hard to only get that mileage. Like Syd said in one of my other posts, I drive the heck out of mine in terms of distance. Today I had a two hour round trip and averaged just over 25mpg. Most of it was on I-95 doing 80mph too.
Well today I could say I drove it a little hard, def tested it. Where you in sp mode and do you have AWD. I not sure why its that bad, may need to get it checked.

Originally Posted by 052SI
I guess if you're used to sport or sp then normal would feel kinda soft but it's still pretty firm especially if the tires are at the fac cold pressures. I think it would be nice if in addition to sports, sp and normal, there was a comfort mode too especially for rough roads.
Yes I totally agree with you, cause its not really soft, I still feel some of the road but it is def softer than driving in sport p.
Old 03-16-13, 09:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Lol I was gonna post that I didn't see any GS -Fsports. These roads are killing me, I'm staying in tarrytown and heading out tonight to Manhattan to going clubbing. I leave tomorrow.
take a pic of your car in the city... maybe in front of the club and post it. be careful, these manhattan streets are horrible, not to mention the taxis and livery cabs and the other idiots that can't drive. enjoy your stay, wish i could pull up to the club with you but my baby is still at lexus.
Old 03-16-13, 11:57 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Goodluck bro.... I drive to the city everyday and I cringe every time I run over a pothole... its been pretty bad in manhattan ever since the storms. Its not any better in Brooklyn either.
Old 03-17-13, 12:18 AM
bigblack06

take a pic of your car in the city... maybe in front of the club and post it. be careful, these manhattan streets are horrible, not to mention the taxis and livery cabs and the other idiots that can't drive. enjoy your stay, wish i could pull up to the club with you but my baby is still at lexus.
Lol, to late I just came back to the hotel and just read this. I could say I hit about 15 deep potholes into Manhattan and coming back to the hotel on a turn I hit another deep pothole heard a crack and pop pretty sure the roof screamed to me gotta check it in the morning, saw a little white on the tire from the concrete. man NY killed my car. I went to Griffin nightclub, probably wouldn't drive my car to NY again, car took a real beating.

Originally Posted by ialexxx
Goodluck bro.... I drive to the city everyday and I cringe every time I run over a pothole... its been pretty bad in manhattan ever since the storms. Its not any better in Brooklyn either.
Yeah I truly understand what your talking about, felt everyone, as its always to late to avoid them. I'm getting a alignment check and my 5k will be in two more month, so I'll have him check the car.
Old 03-17-13, 03:54 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

did you make sure to tape up the front bumper!
Old 03-17-13, 07:13 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Well today I could say I drove it a little hard, def tested it. Where you in sp mode and do you have AWD. I not sure why its that bad, may need to get it checked.
Mine is RWD, and when on longer trips I'm always in normal or ECO and typically have cruise control on, even at 80. I am a little bit of a lead foot as well, city or highway, and my averages over the last year have always been in the 20's.
Old 03-17-13, 07:20 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
did you make sure to tape up the front bumper!
Lol its covered in bubble wrapping, its all good

Originally Posted by jscgs350
Mine is RWD, and when on longer trips I'm always in normal or ECO and typically have cruise control on, even at 80. I am a little bit of a lead foot as well, city or highway, and my averages over the last year have always been in the 20's.
I think RWD gets better gas mileage than AWD, and I'm mostly in sport p mode, at the last stretch I turned on normal mode but it didn't last very long, needed sport p back on.
Old 03-17-13, 07:50 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Lol, to late I just came back to the hotel and just read this. I could say I hit about 15 deep potholes into Manhattan and coming back to the hotel on a turn I hit another deep pothole heard a crack and pop pretty sure the roof screamed to me gotta check it in the morning, saw a little white on the tire from the concrete. man NY killed my car. I went to Griffin nightclub, probably wouldn't drive my car to NY again, car took a real beating.

Yeah I truly understand what your talking about, felt everyone, as its always to late to avoid them. I'm getting a alignment check and my 5k will be in two more month, so I'll have him check the car.
that's all... just 15 potholes. it's crazy because you have to watch the streets, pedestrians, the other drivers and your mirrors it's a no win situation. the car should be fine. the wheels are pretty strong. i've run into a couple of crazy potholes and did not cause any damage to the wheels. i'm familiar with most of these streets so i usually avoid the potholes. rent a car next time.
Old 03-17-13, 09:19 AM
bigblack06

that's all... just 15 potholes. it's crazy because you have to watch the streets, pedestrians, the other drivers and your mirrors it's a no win situation. the car should be fine. the wheels are pretty strong. i've run into a couple of crazy potholes and did not cause any damage to the wheels. i'm familiar with most of these streets so i usually avoid the potholes. rent a car next time.
lol you know I 'am, yes you really do need to watch out for those others, especially these town cars couldn't figure if they were taxis or chauffer's. You all have no cops at night, or at least I didn't see any on the highway.
Old 03-17-13, 09:29 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol you know I 'am, yes you really do need to watch out for those others, especially these town cars couldn't figure if they were taxis or chauffer's. You all have no cops at night, or at least I didn't see any on the highway.
Yes, those garbage tires have to go. Go for the 245/40/19 94V Michelin Pirmacy MXM4 tires. Amazing. I love them. Very sporty, smooth, quiet, and comfortable with the Sport + mode without any vibration, choppiness, or banging into the potholes.

Quick Reply: First Long Distance Trip!