GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Conversion to 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 07:33 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh man, so much unsolicited advice but I can't resist.

I was in a similar situation to you (although mine wasn't a 4GS 450h). Now 10+ years have gone by and I have a job, family, etc. My main question with you is to ask yourself the type of satisfaction the new car will bring, and more importantly, what you're going to do with your life after you graduate. The reason I ask this, is because you should be thinking of the "where do I go from here?" question. No matter how fortunate you are or how much money you have, I feel that it's nice to "feel progress" in life. When the bar is set so high before you graduate, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Again, I don't know your financial situation, your plans for after university, etc, etc. But it seems like you're comfortable and taken care of. So I'd focus on the "will I be happy" in the future if I start here question.

Not sure if this applies, and sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I think that's what this forum is for. For none of us to judge each other but share our experiences. Regardless, all the best with your choices and good luck in school! You've got a good head start in life already, I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

BTW: If I were in your shoes I'd trade in the RX and get a 4Runner, then work up to a luxury car later. But that's because that's what I did .
Old 03-11-13, 07:43 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

^ Sound advice. I'm not gonna lie I agree with these guys, I went through the same situation with my dad when I was in my first year of college , but he gave me a choice to put the money aside and let it grow or buy a car I really wanted. I'm pretty sure you won't listen to us but some words of advice let the money grow keep the RX and when you graduate from college you can get a better newer car cause your gonna want a new one when you graduate. They are giving good advice!
Old 03-11-13, 07:52 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

meh get the car and enjoy it
Old 03-11-13, 10:09 AM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely dont try to do the conversion. Modding a hybrid will kind of defeat its main purpose and it doesn't seem like you have any problems financially if you can afford to buy the car so gas shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you are getting the hybrid for the extra boost in power than that is a different story. Converting this will definitely cost you a ****load of money just for the two bumpers.
Old 03-11-13, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Adding the Fsport bumper to the hybrid won't effect its "hybrid-ness" at all.

Thats a good point though. The $2,000 or so this conversion will cost will make the payoff of the hybrid that much harder to meet.
Old 03-11-13, 11:37 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of extravagant, but i guess $700 per month is not a fortune if this guy's family has the cash. No way in hell I'd give an 18 year old that kind of car unless I was a multi-millionaire. I sincerely hope this is the case. Anyways, what was your question again?
Old 03-11-13, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even if I were a multi-millionaire I still would not. I think kids need to have something to work for. If you start out life in a $65,000 car to replace your only 3 year old $50,000 car...what is there to work for and achieve in life? What happens when your child gets to where they have to replicate this lifestyle on their own? Assuming they do...

I'm not one of these people who says don't give your kid a car, I was given my Mom's hand me down car when I was a kid, similar situation to his 2010 RX, but to give them such an extravagant car is the thing. Its an achievement to be able to go out and buy yourself such a car, I think it robs the kid of that experience.

Now, obviously looking at what his girlfriend drives and where he lives (I note the Lexus of Beverly Hills license frame), this is par for the course amongst his and his parents peers...but I think it does kids a disservice.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 12:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Front Bumper Conversion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
F-Sport Bumper Cover, Top & Bottom Grills and JDM Fog Light Bezel covers...

That about covers it!!

~ Joe Z

Here is a list of parts alone in the "Shopping Cart".... You will need a quote for a Bumper Cover paint job...

The JDM Fog Light Bezel covers run an additional $80 bucks or so..

The GS450h with F-Sport Front bumper will look awesome..!!

~ Joe Z

Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Conversion to 450h?-price-quote.jpg  
Old 03-11-13, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Also be sure to budget for painting, paint blending and matching, labor, etc.
Old 03-11-13, 04:18 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing before I individually reply, I realize the majority of you guys have way more life experience than and are more money management savy...

Originally Posted by terrycs
If you want to impress someone at your age, keep your existing car and use the monetary gift as a downpayment for a place with a garage to put it into!

If you already have your own place ... well ... that's a different story.

Good luck in school!
Thanks for the advice, it more of a personal thing, I hate to admit it but I'm, momma's boy, I hate to leave the comfort of my home when I need to something academic, I just can't focus if I'm not in my room even if I'm studying for something. Plus it would be useless for me to move out, I'm Punjabi, my parents are going to live with me and my brother once I get married, so independence not an option. +Me and brother have an agreement that when we buy houses it will be in the same neighborhood so it's easier on them on who they want stay with when want a change...

Originally Posted by mehran888
Oh man, so much unsolicited advice but I can't resist.

I was in a similar situation to you (although mine wasn't a 4GS 450h). Now 10+ years have gone by and I have a job, family, etc. My main question with you is to ask yourself the type of satisfaction the new car will bring, and more importantly, what you're going to do with your life after you graduate. The reason I ask this, is because you should be thinking of the "where do I go from here?" question. No matter how fortunate you are or how much money you have, I feel that it's nice to "feel progress" in life. When the bar is set so high before you graduate, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Again, I don't know your financial situation, your plans for after university, etc, etc. But it seems like you're comfortable and taken care of. So I'd focus on the "will I be happy" in the future if I start here question.

Not sure if this applies, and sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I think that's what this forum is for. For none of us to judge each other but share our experiences. Regardless, all the best with your choices and good luck in school! You've got a good head start in life already, I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

BTW: If I were in your shoes I'd trade in the RX and get a 4Runner, then work up to a luxury car later. But that's because that's what I did .
I'm going in the medical field, it's very long but it's why I attending JC along while in HS to cut a year and get all my GED's done, not sure if I want to downgrade though...

Originally Posted by bigblack06
^ Sound advice. I'm not gonna lie I agree with these guys, I went through the same situation with my dad when I was in my first year of college , but he gave me a choice to put the money aside and let it grow or buy a car I really wanted. I'm pretty sure you won't listen to us but some words of advice let the money grow keep the RX and when you graduate from college you can get a better newer car cause your gonna want a new one when you graduate. They are giving good advice!
Advice accepted, my dad is one those guy's when you tell you want something, he won't quiet down until he goes and buys for you or you buy it, he most likely say "You wanted a car!, Now you wan to invest it!!!, ok I'll buy you the car and invest in more stuff?" I"ll say "No dad just investment" , then he'll be like "If I was your I would take the deal up in a second." He says this to me in punjabi though...

Originally Posted by passnu2
meh get the car and enjoy it
Thanks

Originally Posted by ialexxx
definitely dont try to do the conversion. Modding a hybrid will kind of defeat its main purpose and it doesn't seem like you have any problems financially if you can afford to buy the car so gas shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you are getting the hybrid for the extra boost in power than that is a different story. Converting this will definitely cost you a ****load of money just for the two bumpers.
I the want the juice and mileage...

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Adding the Fsport bumper to the hybrid won't effect its "hybrid-ness" at all.

Thats a good point though. The $2,000 or so this conversion will cost will make the payoff of the hybrid that much harder to meet.
Really? I'm just personalizing it, when I selected it I just thought in terms of mileage on both 350 and 450h, didn't really factor in the costs...

Originally Posted by jre002
It's kind of extravagant, but i guess $700 per month is not a fortune if this guy's family has the cash. No way in hell I'd give an 18 year old that kind of car unless I was a multi-millionaire. I sincerely hope this is the case. Anyways, what was your question again?
Even if I were a multi-millionaire I still would not. I think kids need to have something to work for. If you start out life in a $65,000 car to replace your only 3 year old $50,000 car...what is there to work for and achieve in life? What happens when your child gets to where they have to replicate this lifestyle on their own? Assuming they do...

I'm not one of these people who says don't give your kid a car, I was given my Mom's hand me down car when I was a kid, similar situation to his 2010 RX, but to give them such an extravagant car is the thing. Its an achievement to be able to go out and buy yourself such a car, I think it robs the kid of that experience.

Now, obviously looking at what his girlfriend drives and where he lives (I note the Lexus of Beverly Hills license frame), this is par for the course amongst his and his parents peers...but I think it does kids a disservice.
You guys don't that I met my requirement the full deal was, if I kept of over a 4.0 freshmen, sophomore, and junior year(almost done), he would buy me any car within reason... To clarify SW, I was born up in Ventura, moved to Calabasas(when the RX was bought) and now live in the Bay Area. So I really don't have anybody to compete with at school, even though it is private. I'm just hoping my GF moves up here because her parents are thinking about it...

Last edited by MjThind; 03-11-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar mistake...
Old 03-11-13, 04:22 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no hope for this country...
Old 03-11-13, 04:27 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here is a list of parts alone in the "Shopping Cart".... You will need a quote for a Bumper Cover paint job...

The JDM Fog Light Bezel covers run an additional $80 bucks or so..

The GS450h with F-Sport Front bumper will look awesome..!!

~ Joe Z

Thanks Joe, do you know where to get the fog lights?
Also be sure to budget for painting, paint blending and matching, labor, etc.
Yeah probably around 1100 I'm guessing...
Old 03-11-13, 04:37 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is silly, just do it once and do it right. Why take shortcut and get a GS450 to make it look like the GS350 F-Sport? You should just get the GS350 F-Sport, then convert the engine to hybrid. You'll be a one of a kind with the awesomeness of a GS350 F-Sport, and the ability to save gas.

You could also look into converting the GS350 F-Sport into an EV. Since you're in California, EV = don't need to deal with smog
Old 03-11-13, 04:51 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I'm putting myself in his shoes... and given that he is coming here for automotive advice but listening to our personal advice AND is a teenager (or in his early 20s) says something about him. If everyone else from his generation is as open to advice and not defensive to our comments (some of which, as we see are judgemental and borderline insulting) AND is going to college for a profession that adds value and has a future, I think the country will be in good shape.

Although I do take offence to his comment about the 4Runner being a downgrade from an RX
Old 03-11-13, 05:10 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by williakz
Really?

Originally Posted by aznxenon
This is silly, just do it once and do it right. Why take shortcut and get a GS450 to make it look like the GS350 F-Sport? You should just get the GS350 F-Sport, then convert the engine to hybrid. You'll be a one of a kind with the awesomeness of a GS350 F-Sport, and the ability to save gas.

You could also look into converting the GS350 F-Sport into an EV. Since you're in California, EV = don't need to deal with smog
I would have to buy a CVT, electric motor, ECU, wiring, etc., etc. It would cost more than just buying a 450h and doing F-Sport bumper conversion...

Originally Posted by mehran888
I'm putting myself in his shoes... and given that he is coming here for automotive advice but listening to our personal advice AND is a teenager (or in his early 20s) says something about him. If everyone else from his generation is as open to advice and not defensive to our comments (some of which, as we see are judgemental and borderline insulting) AND is going to college for a profession that adds value and has a future, I think the country will be in good shape.

Although I do take offence to his comment about the 4Runner being a downgrade from an RX
Thanks man it's nice to to have some one not bashing me and I wasn't intending to offend you, probably not a downgrade to a Limited 4Runner but it will be going to a 4 or 6 banger SR5 but what did 4Runnner did you have?

Quick Reply: F-Sport Conversion to 450h?