GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Issues with 4GS - how long does it take for Lexus Feedback to get back to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I mean...two visits? Its not like you've had the thing in to the shop for months. Take it back again, take them out in the car and show them the noise. Its impossible for them to diagnose it if you can't show them whats wrong. Get a loaner and leave it there until they fix it or replace it.

Its an inconvenience sure, and annoying sure, but I think you're being just a tad dramatic about the whole thing.

Donate the $15,000 to a charity or something...could change somebody's life.
Old 03-07-13, 08:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

dealer not wanting to look for rattle since car was purchased from another dealer seems like 3rd world country policy to me, it is idiotic.

as to selling it, if that makes you happy great... but what if next vehicle has rattles as well?
Old 03-07-13, 08:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Um, can anybody else in Canada chime in on this? This is certainly not the case with Lexus in the USA. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Thats just completely absurd to me...but its your decision obviously.

The Lexus is a well built car, but it is still a machine, and machines have things that go wrong from time to time. If you expect perfection at all times, you will be constantly disappointed. Stand your ground and make the dealer fix the issue. Have they gone out with you in the car and heard the squeak?

I just can't imagine having the time or the energy to be as frustrated and stressed out about this as you are. Take the car to Lexus, demand a loaner, and tell them to keep it until they find the squeak. Bottom line. Talk of loosing $15k on a trade and driving a base Pathfinder or an old Civic with no air conditioning because your GS squeaks and Lexus won't fix it is just crazy.
i witnessed a conversation between a SR and a customer who brought their car in for the srvc. dept. to look at. the first thing that was asked of the customer was whether or not they bought the car their, when the customer answered no, the SR's demeanor changed and he was no longer willing to help and all but told the couple to take the car back where they bought it from because that's the dealer that made the money on it. i thought it was ******up because i always believed you can take your Lexus to any Lexus dealer and have it serviced, with the offer of a loaner if need be. i won't repeat what i said to the SR but let's just say he wasn't happy when i was done. i can't speak for all Lexus dealers but i do know that some actually do it.
Old 03-07-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i witnessed a conversation between a SR and a customer who brought their car in for the srvc. dept. to look at. the first thing that was asked of the customer was whether or not they bought the car their, when the customer answered no, the SR's demeanor changed and he was no longer willing to help and all but told the couple to take the car back where they bought it from because that's the dealer that made the money on it.
Thats crazy! The dealers get paid for warranty stuff whether the car was bought there or not, and the service department makes more money for the dealership than the sales department. Any dealer would be crazy to turn away service business because the customer didn't buy the car there. They don't do warranty work for free, Lexus pays them for it.

I've owned a Lexus for 15 years, I've had 5, and 1 Toyota, and this one is the first one I have bought at the dealer I typically use for service, the other ones were all bought 30 miles away. I've never had a dealer even ask me where I bought the car, let alone refuse me a loaner, let alone refuse to work on the car.
Old 03-07-13, 08:44 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Might seem a bit dramatic, yes... but everyone has their own "boiling" point. I consider my family (3 dependants) and my work (12 direct reports and 40 other people who rely on my team to do my job so they can have an income) much more important. As someone who already works 60 hours a week, taking my car to the dealership again and losing at least 3-4 hours of productivity is a non-starter. I've taken it in a couple of times and the only time I asked them to go for a spin with me, they said no.

Toss in the fact that Lexus has taken two weeks and hasn't responded, and I've reached my limit.

With respect to donating money to charity. My wife and I donate to charity regularly. I'm not going to suggest we do more or less than the average person, but donating $10K to charity and "settling" for rattles in my car isn't going to make the problem go away. I'd much rather still donate and still get rid of the car.

And yes, the next car may have rattles. But like I said, I'd expect rattles from a Ford or Nissan, or even a BMW. The reason I went with Lexus is for their service and quality. Both of which are failing.

Again, probably dramatic, but it's like marrying a woman for her caring nature, and then finding out that she's a mean person. Wouldn't you severe that relationship too? Particularly if she shows no signs of wanting to work with you or change.
Old 03-07-13, 08:46 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i witnessed a conversation between a SR and a customer who brought their car in for the srvc. dept. to look at. the first thing that was asked of the customer was whether or not they bought the car their, when the customer answered no, the SR's demeanor changed and he was no longer willing to help and all but told the couple to take the car back where they bought it from because that's the dealer that made the money on it. i thought it was ******up because i always believed you can take your Lexus to any Lexus dealer and have it serviced, with the offer of a loaner if need be. i won't repeat what i said to the SR but let's just say he wasn't happy when i was done. i can't speak for all Lexus dealers but i do know that some actually do it.
Thanks for affirming this Syd. Glad (even though it's disappointing overall) to know that I'm not just being punked off and at least all dealerships have this poor idea of service.
Old 03-07-13, 08:47 PM
mehran888
Advanced

FYI: I don't think anyone has answered the original question. How long does it normally take them to get back to you?
Old 03-07-13, 08:53 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Thats crazy! The dealers get paid for warranty stuff whether the car was bought there or not, and the service department makes more money for the dealership than the sales department. Any dealer would be crazy to turn away service business because the customer didn't buy the car there. They don't do warranty work for free, Lexus pays them for it.

I've owned a Lexus for 15 years, I've had 5, and 1 Toyota, and this one is the first one I have bought at the dealer I typically use for service, the other ones were all bought 30 miles away. I've never had a dealer even ask me where I bought the car, let alone refuse me a loaner, let alone refuse to work on the car.
I would have agreed with what you're saying about 24 hours ago, but the person I spoke to at my "trusted" dealership (the one we've been at for 15 years), told me they wouldn't get paid for this work. It might be because while it's warranty, it's considered an "open" issue that someone else has (or could have) been paid for. The person was a bit vague, but the feeling I got was that if an issue has been logged against a VIN (eg, "VIN 1235 has rattles in passenger door"), Lexus Corporate prohibits two dealerships from making warranty claims against the same problem.

Not sure if the gentleman/woman that Syd witnessed fell into the same category.
Old 03-07-13, 09:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mehran888
FYI: I don't think anyone has answered the original question. How long does it normally take them to get back to you?
i don't think anyone can answer that M... when the rep came out to see me about my wheels last year, LC didn't touch base with me but my dealer did, mind you on behalf of the rep. they informed me the rep was flying in from Cali. and they set up my appointment for 2 weeks later. let's say it took about two weeks from the day of the complaint to the time i was face to face with the rep. relax M... everything will work out, the more you push the more frustrated you're going to become. sometimes when you're at your limit you may make the wrong decision. i'm OCD and also impatient as you well know, but i step back sometimes and weigh my options i.e., is it worth getting upset about, am i going to get what i want right away or am i still going to have to wait. if someone at Lexus upsets me and i decide not to let them have it, like the new service director that insinuated i went through a carwash and that's how the inside of my driver side wheel looked as though a T-Rex chewed on it. i turned my back and completely ignored him and went straight to the GM who is also a friend and 5 minutes after my convo with the GM... guess who got a call and was told to give MR. Harley what he wants and that he's a very good customer. Relax, M... don't let the rattles bother you so much or just deal with it until you get it fixed. if i can do it anybody can... i have a ******up temper.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 03-07-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 05:27 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Thanks Syd: Agree that it's nothing to get worked up about. Part of it is my OCD, and the other part is not wanting to deal with this dealership any more. With the clear bra issues I had (that was 3 visits and about 10 emails to "fix", and by "fix" I mean get about 30% of the cost back for a shoddy job, after they did it twice), this rattle issue, and the general feeling I get when I talk to the service manager, I feel like they're no longer treating me like a proper customer. Let's see what Lexus says when they get back to me.
Old 03-08-13, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Hey folks, a few responses, excuse the bullets but it's been a long day

* Reached out to another dealership (the one whose owners we've had a 20 year relationship with). The service manager (who I've known for 20 years) said that unfortunately he can't give me a loaner because we bought from elsewhere, and that they can't look at the issue since Lexus won't pay them for it. Something about the original dealership only getting paid for work like that since we approached them about it first
* Disappointing, yes. Particularly since it was my "good" dealership. I was surprised he didn't try to figure out a way to help me out. He suggested I call Lexus Corporate (the roadside assistance line has an option to reach them)
* I did, and it turns out my ticket has been assigned to a rep, but it's been sitting there for two weeks and she hasn't touched it
* I left her a message, and will do so every few days until I get a response.

It's not unusual to get better service from a dealer you purchased the Lexus from vs going to another Lexus dealer for service but that's ridiculous.
I can see not giving you a loaner but not getting paid from Lexus for warranty work?That doesn't sound right to me.
So if you moved 100 miles away,the Lexus dealer in that area wouldn't get paid for fixing that rattle?
Old 03-08-13, 07:03 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's not unusual to get better service from a dealer you purchased the Lexus from vs going to another Lexus dealer for service but that's ridiculous.
I can see not giving you a loaner but not getting paid from Lexus for warranty work?That doesn't sound right to me.
So if you moved 100 miles away,the Lexus dealer in that area wouldn't get paid for fixing that rattle?
I'm generally a rational/logicial person, and the only conclusion I've come to is that Lexus Corporate has a restriction on the "same issue" being open across dealerships for the same VIN. Probably to control costs, and double dipping on warranty work across dealerships. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with.

When the rep does call me back I'll clarify this for everyone else.
Old 03-08-13, 07:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I'm generally a rational/logicial person, and the only conclusion I've come to is that Lexus Corporate has a restriction on the "same issue" being open across dealerships for the same VIN. Probably to control costs, and double dipping on warranty work across dealerships. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with.

When the rep does call me back I'll clarify this for everyone else.

Maybe but I've read of members here having warranty work done by their dealer and not happy with the results and going to another Lexus dealer and having the warranty work done correctly.
Will be interesting to hear what the Lexus rep says.
Old 03-08-13, 07:42 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Thanks Syd: Agree that it's nothing to get worked up about. Part of it is my OCD, and the other part is not wanting to deal with this dealership any more. With the clear bra issues I had (that was 3 visits and about 10 emails to "fix", and by "fix" I mean get about 30% of the cost back for a shoddy job, after they did it twice), this rattle issue, and the general feeling I get when I talk to the service manager, I feel like they're no longer treating me like a proper customer. Let's see what Lexus says when they get back to me.
hey M, i know how you feel, you know i've been there with Lexus. sometimes you have to choose another form of attack, but you have to calm down and clear your head. which ever way you choose to deal with it is totally up to you, it's your car that YOU paid 60K for. they will deem you to be a PITA and you have a right to be. try and clear your head and think of another form of attack if they continue to drag their feet. i have a feeling they're going to be in touch soon.
Old 03-08-13, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have agreed with what you're saying about 24 hours ago, but the person I spoke to at my "trusted" dealership (the one we've been at for 15 years), told me they wouldn't get paid for this work.
I'm generally a rational/logicial person, and the only conclusion I've come to is that Lexus Corporate has a restriction on the "same issue" being open across dealerships for the same VIN.
That has to be a Lexus Canada thing. I can tell you for sure it does not work that way in the US, because I did specifically what we were talking about doing for you, I took the car do a different dealer for the same issue, and there was no problem.

The warranty is good at any dealer. What would happen if you bought your Lexus and moved across the country? Would you have to travel 3,000 miles to the selling dealer? I think the SA Syd met was just an a-hole. Foolish one too because they get paid on commission!

I consider my family (3 dependants) and my work (12 direct reports and 40 other people who rely on my team to do my job so they can have an income) much more important. As someone who already works 60 hours a week, taking my car to the dealership again and losing at least 3-4 hours of productivity is a non-starter. I've taken it in a couple of times and the only time I asked them to go for a spin with me, they said no.
I work long hours too, 7 days a week, I own my own business and am responsible for the livelihood of people, and I'm the only breadwinner for my household. I know the stress, but these things are a part of life, you have to be able to relax and deal with them...I know you've mentioned your OCD, I don't know if you are saying you actually have diagnosed OCD, which would explain how deeply this bothers you. Try and relax though...this isn't worth getting this bent out of shape over.

It really sounds to me like you need a new dealer...

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-08-13 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Issues with 4GS - how long does it take for Lexus Feedback to get back to you?