GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Reset Navigation history & how to keep factory remote start on when door opens?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 04:43 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset Navigation history & how to keep factory remote start on when door opens?

2 questions

On Navigation screen I see dots everywhere I have ever been on the streets. Anyone know how to reset that?

For the factory remote start, is there a way to program it so that when I open the door to the car it doesnt shut off?

Thanks guys
Old 03-06-13, 05:26 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

For #1, I have done that before, I believe you have to turn the Route Trace off first.
For #2. The answer is no. When you remote start the car, it starts in a different mode than regular. Alarm is still active, wipers don't activate, headlights don't go on and few other things. The car will shut off and re-start in regular mode when you unlock the door.
Old 03-06-13, 05:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by minty99z
2 questions

On Navigation screen I see dots everywhere I have ever been on the streets. Anyone know how to reset that?

For the factory remote start, is there a way to program it so that when I open the door to the car it doesnt shut off?

Thanks guys
on the bottom of your nav screen you'll see SHOW ON MAP... click that and you'll see 2 options, the first one is route trace... choose off, and BAM, no more tracking dots.

that's a big NO on programming the RS so the car doesn't shut off when you open the door. PITA isn't it?
Old 03-07-13, 01:46 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
on the bottom of your nav screen you'll see SHOW ON MAP... click that and you'll see 2 options, the first one is route trace... choose off, and BAM, no more tracking dots.

that's a big NO on programming the RS so the car doesn't shut off when you open the door. PITA isn't it?

Thanks. The second part answer SUCKS! I'll have to talk to some tech friends to see if it can be chagned....total BS and annoying.
Old 03-07-13, 02:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by minty99z
Thanks. The second part answer SUCKS! I'll have to talk to some tech friends to see if it can be chagned....total BS and annoying.
yeah i know how you feel, you're gong to have to go aftermarket. i had lexus install them on 2 previous cars, much better than factory installed.
Old 03-07-13, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yep, the Lexus remote start is useless. Our Jeep has remote start too and its great, you get in when its running and push the start button and it cycles from Remote Start mode to full start mode, and the engine just stays running. We use it on the Jeep all the time, never do on the GS.
Old 03-08-13, 08:05 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yep, the Lexus remote start is useless. Our Jeep has remote start too and its great, you get in when its running and push the start button and it cycles from Remote Start mode to full start mode, and the engine just stays running. We use it on the Jeep all the time, never do on the GS.
Why is it such a big deal to push the start button like you would do normally if you weren't using the remote start???
Old 03-08-13, 08:16 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Why is it such a big deal to push the start button like you would do normally if you weren't using the remote start???
I agree. The car is smart enough to verify an authorized user is actually in the car. The car is already warmed up nice and toasty for you anyway.
Old 03-08-13, 09:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
For one I don't like putting the car through another startup cycle if I don't have to. Its needless engine and starter wear.

The Lexus sits in the garage, so we only use the Remote Start if we're out. So as we're walking up to the car I will start it from as far away as I can to get it warmed up. The other issue with the Lexus system vs the Jeep's is the range is very poor, and the sequence of buttons you have to hit is cumbersome, so by the time you get it started...it runs for maybe 15 seconds and then you have to shut it off, totally useless. The Jeep's works from so far away you can't even see the Jeep, the Lexus seems to need to be within 20-25 feet.

Originally Posted by terrycs
I agree. The car is smart enough to verify an authorized user is actually in the car. The car is already warmed up nice and toasty for you anyway.
The Jeep verifies it as well. When its in Remote Start mode, it cannot be driven. You have to bring the key within the car, and put your foot on the brake and hit the start button again and it will cycle to full run mode without shutting down and restarting the engine.

For my use, the Jeep remote start gets used all the time, the one in the Lexus never because the way it operates is so cumbersome its not worth using.