GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Are There Any Limitations on USB Device?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 11:36 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UpodJohn
GraceNote does not require any driver actions. It catalogs automatically. The larger the USB device the longer it will take to catalog. You should see a square white with red logo pop-up in the lower left corner of your media screen as it does it's business.

It is the info gathered by GraceNote that will allow the "play artist <name>" "play music" to function. If those commands are unavailable to you the USB drive may be not be scannable.
It took quite a few days but GraceNote finally was able to catalog my drive.
Old 02-21-13, 08:57 PM
UpodJohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
It took quite a few days but GraceNote finally was able to catalog my drive.
Days!!! Yikes. Not surprised really with a 120GB drive. Congrats. Any idea how much accumulative time you had the GS on & the drive plugged in over the few days?
Old 08-25-13, 07:12 AM
JDH
Driver School Candidate

Default Gracenote not working. What am I doing wrong?

I am using a 16 GB USB drive with about 3500 songs in a dozen folders. In my month old 2013 Lexus Rx 350, a Gracenote icon flashes but no cover art appears. I inserted this USB drive in my brother's brand new Buick at the dealer and cover art appeared immediately with each song that played. I just traveled about 3000 miles in the past 3 weeks, so don't tell me to be patient while the Lexus system gathers information. Is there something I need to do to activate Gracenote?

On a side issue, I created another USB with several songs and a couple of playlist files. The Audio system states something like "Please wait while the system analysis the information." There can't be more than 20 to 30 files on the USB. Any help here?
Old 08-25-13, 09:06 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following device formats can be used:
• USB communication formats: USB2.0 HS (480 Mbps) and FS (12 Mbps)
• File formats: FAT16/32 [Windows]
MP3 and WMA files written in any format other than those listed above may not play
correctly, and their file names and folder names may not be displayed correctly.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
• Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root)
• Maximum number of files in a device: 9999
• Maximum number of files per folder: 255
Good summary of format requirements. I am using a 64 GB USB with no issues. The media can be accessed by file or album or artist and song under each. There is no album art however.

So it sounds like some of you have organized your media by genre, is that correct?
Old 08-26-13, 11:20 AM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDH
I am using a 16 GB USB drive with about 3500 songs in a dozen folders. In my month old 2013 Lexus Rx 350, a Gracenote icon flashes but no cover art appears. I inserted this USB drive in my brother's brand new Buick at the dealer and cover art appeared immediately with each song that played. I just traveled about 3000 miles in the past 3 weeks, so don't tell me to be patient while the Lexus system gathers information. Is there something I need to do to activate Gracenote?

On a side issue, I created another USB with several songs and a couple of playlist files. The Audio system states something like "Please wait while the system analysis the information." There can't be more than 20 to 30 files on the USB. Any help here?
I don't think the Lexus system displays the cover art. The thumbnail is part of the mp3 (assuming its purchased legally from Amazon/itunes) file so you don't need Gracenote to search for it. It should just display if the system was designed to do so.

On the second USB might want to check that its FAT32. Otherwise no clue.
Old 08-26-13, 12:46 PM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zicogold
Good summary of format requirements. I am using a 64 GB USB with no issues. The media can be accessed by file or album or artist and song under each. There is no album art however.

So it sounds like some of you have organized your media by genre, is that correct?
Yeah I arranged mine by genre. Seemed like a broad enough category to use to group the songs. Was a bit of a pain to have to move 700 songs on the USB files into 5 different folders when my previous vehicle could read all that info off the USB without any 255 limitation. Made scrolling through album listings a bit easier without having to drill into folders. Once the sorting is done it works well enough.
Old 08-26-13, 02:21 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfine
I don't think the Lexus system displays the cover art. The thumbnail is part of the mp3 (assuming its purchased legally from Amazon/itunes) file so you don't need Gracenote to search for it. It should just display if the system was designed to do so..
I have not used a USB drive, but when my iPhone is connected to the USB port, it will display album art if the art is on my iPhone. It does not display album art if I am streaming via bluetooth.

It does take a bit of time to load the album art.
Old 08-27-13, 06:23 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't the album art get switched off anyway when the primary display changes? If so, is there a way to leave it displaying music mode?
Old 09-26-13, 04:01 PM
groversdad
Driver School Candidate

I picked up a SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive at Costco that was pre-formatted FAT32 and works fine out of the Box.

My question is about controlling the order that tracks play. I'm trying to listen to audio books that I have ripped from CDs using Windows Media Player (relevant?). The discs wind up in folders that I label Disc 01, 02, etc., but when I copy a bunch of folders at once and watch the copy dialog box the folders aren't copied in alphabetical order and therefore when a folder finishes playing it doesn't play them in the order of the book. When I look at the contents of the flash drive it of course shows the folders in alphabetical order.

The only way I can force the order of play of the folders is to copy them one at a time in order to the flash drive, which seems to physically sequence them correctly. This is a pain but since most audio books aren't more than 15 CDs I can live with it (although I have to shorten the book's name so I can read the title.) So far I haven't had any problem with the sequence of the tracks within the folders.

The screen on my 2013 GS350 only allows me to choose the next/previous track or folder.

Do I have any other options? I borrowed a friend's old Ipod classic but it wouldn't connect. I wish I could create a playlist.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by groversdad; 09-26-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 06:43 AM
JDH
Driver School Candidate

Default Using a playlist with a USB flash drive

Unable to get the audio system to recognize playlists on my USB flash drive, I went back to the dealer and spoke to a very knowledgeable technition. Currently there is a problem recognizing playlists directly from a flash drive, but it will work using an mp3 player.

The mp3 can be one with internal memory (and card slot) and I believe even an older mp3 player with a hard drive will work.

The player must be pluged into the USB port using the USB cable that came with your mp3 player. Since the USB port will be supplying 5 volts, no other power supply is required.

If you prefer to use playlists which will allow you to use the voice command "Play Music", then "Play playlist <your playlist.", you need to use a MP3 player rather than a flash drive.

2013 RX350
Old 10-01-13, 03:18 PM
groversdad
Driver School Candidate

I had originally tried to use a Sandisk Sansa Clip MP3 player, which is what I used successfully in my previous car, a Mercedes (showed me the playlists and everything). Since I had no luck with that, I explored the flash drive option. I tried the MP3 player again after reading your message and when I plug it into my Lexus I get a "No music files found" message.

I also borrowed a friend's (old) Ipod Classic and all I got was a flashing "Do not disconnect" message on the Ipod with no recognition at all on the car.

I bought a larger capacity flash drive and it seems that as long as I copy the folders to it in the correct order, I'm able to listen to my audio books happily.
Old 11-04-14, 05:33 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

so what is maximum HDD capacity i can use? 250gb sata with FAT32 is fine?
Old 11-05-14, 11:37 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jvinhj240
so what is maximum HDD capacity i can use? 250gb sata with FAT32 is fine?
That's the size (256GB SSD) I use and it works fine. I am sure you could probably go bigger but that's an awful lot of storage space. Folders need to be limited to, I believe, 255 items per folder and the disk must be formatted in FAT32 of some type and not NTFS. That's way too many folders IMHO.

By the way, navigating a large disk gets very cumbersome.
Old 10-26-15, 12:23 PM
dhklexus
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 ES 350 which has two USB ports. I would like to use two thumb drives, one with classical music, the other with pop and jazz. It would then be easier to toggle between the two when my mood changes. The dealer has told me I can't do this, but it seems odd that they would put two usb ports in the car when I can only use one for a thumb drive, plus the dealer has been less than forthcoming with a few other issues so I have some suspicions that he is just trying to get out of fixing a problem. Does anyone know if the dealer is correct? Thanks

DHK, a newbie
Old 10-26-15, 12:37 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhklexus
I have a 2015 ES 350 which has two USB ports. I would like to use two thumb drives, one with classical music, the other with pop and jazz. It would then be easier to toggle between the two when my mood changes. The dealer has told me I can't do this, but it seems odd that they would put two usb ports in the car when I can only use one for a thumb drive, plus the dealer has been less than forthcoming with a few other issues so I have some suspicions that he is just trying to get out of fixing a problem. Does anyone know if the dealer is correct? Thanks

DHK, a newbie

Not sure about other cars but this one cant play from more than one device. When 2 devices are connected it only reads from one. These arent the same as your PC USB slots in many instances.
Solution would be to create 2 folders on one thumb drive and play them seperately.

You guys should really just use your phones to play music, especially if you have a 64GB phone, much easier, much faster, through USB or BLUETOOTH.

Trust me Ive done boatloads of testing and can confirm that the less you have to press on the car radio the better.

Quick Reply: Are There Any Limitations on USB Device?