GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

When will there be a V8 engine for the 4th generation GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 01:12 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much more would you be willing to pay for your GS 350 if it had a s/c V6, let's say making around 350 HP? How about a V8 making around 400 HP? I think the s/c V6 would be perfect for this car, and I would have been willing to pay probably another $4-5K for this feature. Would that be enough?

It's a real consideration though, as the GS is already, what, $10K or so more than the ES. What other things (besides power trunk, folding side mirrors) would Lexus have to cut to keep the car price competitive and provide more performance?

I think the GSF will NEED a V8, preferably s/c.
Old 02-13-13, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i really take the existing isf vs m3 and c63 comparison and like how lexus does it. it is cheaper, has very comparable performance (and yet offer more on quality and reliability), and sells relatively well for what it is. i think the same can apply to gsf in the 90k range when m5 and e63 are both stepping into the 6 figures.

if we look at the whole lexus planning and offering, ls460 is in the 80-90k range easily already. lx570 is also a 90k car. when they have their next luxury coupe, it will be in the 6 figures. 100k today is really like the old 80k (as much as my wallet hurts).

gs350 is now at 50k. if they have a gs460 today (similarly equipped), it will be in the 70k. i think that's what a loaded gs450h is now? 70-80k is really what a typical regular luxury v8 mid-size sedan costs now. so another 10k for a super sport version? sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me
All very good points for sure...I didn't really think about the fact that they already are selling a couple models over $90k, and think about the LSh, toping out at $125k...

Its funny as I get older I realize why when I was a kid adults lamented the cost of milk LOL

Originally Posted by betashave
How much more would you be willing to pay for your GS 350 if it had a s/c V6, let's say making around 350 HP? How about a V8 making around 400 HP? I think the s/c V6 would be perfect for this car, and I would have been willing to pay probably another $4-5K for this feature. Would that be enough?
I wouldn't have paid more for a higher powered engine, just as I wouldn't have bought a V8...but thats me.

It's a real consideration though, as the GS is already, what, $10K or so more than the ES.
Its more like $15k more.
Old 02-13-13, 01:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-13-13, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
All very good points for sure...I didn't really think about the fact that they already are selling a couple models over $90k, and think about the LSh, toping out at $125k...

Its funny as I get older I realize why when I was a kid adults lamented the cost of milk LOL
yes, remind me to talk to my boss why my salary doesn't go up the same rate as car msrp. indeed a few lexus are already over 90k, and absolutely right on the lsh.

it's scary to think / say that a luxury mid-size is touch 80k already. fwiw i do think it is quite painful to pay all these money on cars these days. i still remember back in 07, i paid low 40s for the gs350 and low 80s for the loaded ls460l and i thought that was still "reasonable". how things have changed in 5 years.

i pray to god lexus brings in a real gsf to go against the euros. just from a portfolio point of view, it will really strengthen lexus' position on sports
Old 02-13-13, 02:29 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Red face

Originally Posted by SW10ES

I wouldn't have paid more for a higher powered engine, just as I wouldn't have bought a V8...but thats me.

Its more like $15k more.
I know it's not popular but if all you could get was a v8 I would have looked elsewhere. However a SC v6 would have been a tempting combo.
Old 02-13-13, 02:34 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rlj4246
I know it's not popular but if all you could get was a v8 I would have looked elsewhere. However a SC v6 would have been a tempting combo.
I think I'm with you on this.
Old 02-13-13, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's scary to think / say that a luxury mid-size is touch 80k already. fwiw i do think it is quite painful to pay all these money on cars these days. i still remember back in 07, i paid low 40s for the gs350 and low 80s for the loaded ls460l and i thought that was still "reasonable". how things have changed in 5 years.
Right, and now I just paid $60k for a GS350 and a loaded LS460L is $95K! Even worse when you think that my Dad's 04 LS430 UL was around $65k I want to say, and his 98 LS fully loaded was less than $60k.
Old 02-13-13, 05:40 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm with you on this.

With longevity as a Lexus selling point, wouldn't a S/C
or Turbo decrease longevity? I think an F or optional
V8 would fit the Lexus credo much better. imho...
Old 02-13-13, 05:57 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by noncom23
With longevity as a Lexus selling point, wouldn't a S/C
or Turbo decrease longevity? I think an F or optional
V8 would fit the Lexus credo much better. imho...
That's a valid question. I was just agreeing that if the V8 were the only option for the GS, I probably would have looked elsewhere. I'd rather have the naturally aspirated V6 that it comes with than a V8 in this car. As for a supercharged V6, longevity may indeed be a key factor for Lexus. I would still have strongly considered it if it were available, however.

Point is, for me, longevity was not necessarily the #1 factor I was considering when we chose our car. We came very close to buying the Jag XF, so you get the idea. However, now that I own my first Lexus, I'm learning about the Lexus credo and gaining appreciation for it.
Old 02-13-13, 06:49 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

That's a valid question. I was just agreeing that if the V8 were the only option for the GS, I probably would have looked elsewhere. I'd rather have the naturally aspirated V6 that it comes with than a V8 in this car. As for a supercharged V6, longevity may indeed be a key factor for Lexus. I would still have strongly considered it if it were available, however.

Point is, for me, longevity was not necessarily the #1 factor I was considering when we chose our car. We came very close to buying the Jag XF, so you get the idea. However, now that I own my first Lexus, I'm learning about the Lexus credo and gaining appreciation for it.
No, I get you totally. I am just now coming back to the Lexus
from a turbo. I know at my age I need a smarter decision
this time around. But I would nab a Lexus GS V8 without
thinking twice!
Old 02-13-13, 07:02 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by noncom23
No, I get you totally. I am just now coming back to the Lexus
from a turbo. I know at my age I need a smarter decision
this time around. But I would nab a Lexus GS V8 without
thinking twice!
This car would be excellent with a V8, no doubt. What I wonder is how much more the GS would cost with a V8. I suspect the increase would have me debating whether or not to step up to the LS. My wife could not take her eyes off that LS at the dealership.
Old 02-13-13, 07:02 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah although it was a dealer that told me I have heard it from a couple of other places. Honestly nobody knows except Lexus as to what engine they plan to make whether it be a V8 with a supercharger or a turbo. I'm willing to bet Lexus is gonna make it based off a V8 not a V6.
Old 02-13-13, 07:14 PM
mush
Pole Position

i think 80k is fair for a GS F
look at the IS F pricing, about 20k difference between a loaded IS350 and IS F
Old 02-13-13, 07:19 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

This car would be excellent with a V8, no doubt. What I wonder is how much more the GS would cost with a V8. I suspect the increase would have me debating whether or not to step up to the LS. My wife could not take her eyes off that LS at the dealership.
I would guess a max cost of $10,000.00 more. Reasonably
this cold be a $62-65,000 base price. Takers?
Old 02-14-13, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mush
i think 80k is fair for a GS F
look at the IS F pricing, about 20k difference between a loaded IS350 and IS F
80k for gsf (assume head to head with m5 and e63) would be CHEAP and awesome. but keep in mind a loaded gs450h is touching 70k

Quick Reply: When will there be a V8 engine for the 4th generation GS?