GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Different Woods Inside? Janky

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
But look at the new LS "Shimamoku Espresso wood", the steering wheel matches the other trims. This is similar to our Linear Espresso wood in terms of grain pattern. So definitely it is doable no matter 2D or 3D.
Go to Youtube and type in "Shimamoku wood Lexus" and look for the video about how that steering wheel on the LS is made. Its an incredibly long and arduous hand done process to make that wheel look that way, and lets just say thats the sort of thing you find in an $80K+ automobile, not a $50-60k automobile.

Originally Posted by willakz
I think the point is that LS460 wood (don't know about blonde LS430 wood) came from the factory seriously mismatched between steering wheel, shift ****, and dash/console/door panels.
I don't know if thats the case/ Like I said, in the areas where the wood comes into contact with the oils on your hands, it does wear to much lighter/yellower than the stain. When that 2010 LS was new they might have matched fine...
Old 02-28-13, 04:51 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
When that 2010 LS was new they might have matched fine...
Nope, never matched. Not about oils at all - Lexus uses finishes specifically to avoid exposing its woods to environmental contamination. Thus, mismatch was from factory. So why no noise until now?
Old 02-28-13, 06:44 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

This is a completely different car than the one we are talking about here, but I have seen Lexus replace steering wheels that don't match under warranty. Thats however on brand new cars, since yours is 3 years old I don't know whether they would.

As the wood wheel and wood **** age, the color does lighten from exposure to the oils in your hands and exposure to UV light (top of the wheel). This is normal IMHO...

That would be an unreasonable expectation. The LS is FAR cheaper than a Rolls Royce, Rolls Royces are hand built and the wood is hand finished, very different price points and very different levels of quality.

Thats like saying that your Movado or Raymond Weil watch lacks quality that your Rolex has. The Movado or Raymond Weil is a very nice 4 figure watch, but the Rolex is an entirely different level. As is the case with Lexus and Rolls Royce.

Again, this is a topic about a brand new Lexus GS, issues with a CPO 2010 LS should be discussed in the LS forum. Entirely different situations.

I see I am not the only one with an LS in this thread.

LOL!!! Lighten up. I was merely stating my dissatisfaction with the trim color.

Rock on!!!,
Old 02-28-13, 08:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

But look at the new LS "Shimamoku Espresso wood", the steering wheel matches the other trims. This is similar to our Linear Espresso wood in terms of grain pattern. So definitely it is doable no matter 2D or 3D.

You forgot that Shimamoku is a MAN-MADE laminate and isn't a natural wood grain.
Old 03-01-13, 04:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
You forgot that Shimamoku is a MAN-MADE laminate and isn't a natural wood grain.
Looks like real wood in this video.1:40 in..
Shimamoku is Japanese for “striped wood"
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rilliant-video

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-01-13 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by williakz
Nope, never matched. Not about oils at all - Lexus uses finishes specifically to avoid exposing its woods to environmental contamination. Thus, mismatch was from factory. So why no noise until now?
I can tell you that the wood on the steering wheel and shift **** does lighten over time, we've had several Lexus vehicles for 150k+ miles...
Old 03-01-13, 03:20 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I can tell you that the wood on the steering wheel and shift **** does lighten over time, we've had several Lexus vehicles for 150k+ miles...
Yeah, must be those "grain-melting" X-waves we've all heard about. Funny how they zap the grain in the shift **** every time and somehow never get around to dealing with the grain in the wheel or panels, huh? How do it know?
Old 03-01-13, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Huh?

My Dad had a 98 LS with almost 200k miles on it when it was traded, the wood on the top of the shifter **** was almost yellow vs the medium brown color of the rest of the wood, as was the wood on the top of the steering wheel. My 2003 ES is still in the family with 175k or so miles, it has a dark cherry type wood, the wood on top of the wheel and on top of the shifter **** is several shades lighter, almost a pinkish color now, as is the spot on the wood trim on the door where my elbow used to rest back when I drove it.

Neither car was like that when it was new. The wood has worn, aged, and discolored with use and with exposure to UV light. On both cars its the worst on the shifter ****. Both he and I drove with one hand resting on top of the **** almost all the time, only thing I can attribute it to.

Of course all the wood has lightened with age, but its definitely worse where the wood has been handled regularly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-01-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ever heard of Photshop?
Old 03-01-13, 08:26 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
Ever heard of Photshop?
Nope. I have this trim in my car. It looks almost exactly as in the sweet. See pics in LS460 forum under "2013 LS460 Back from Florida Trip"
Old 03-01-13, 08:45 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Nope. I have this trim in my car. It looks almost exactly as in the sweet. See pics in LS460 forum under "2013 LS460 Back from Florida Trip"
It's beautiful, and that is exactly the same combo I would get if I went to an LS.
Old 03-01-13, 09:23 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

It's beautiful, and that is exactly the same combo I would get if I went to an LS.
My wife has the 2013 GS450h in Starfire Pearl with Gray Leather interior and Bamboo wood trim. I have to admit the bamboo is growing on me (maybe it's just growing!) as it gives a stronger accent than the somewhat understated Shimamoku in my LS. Come to think of it, I haven't found many (any) Lexus color combos that I wouldn't be happy to own.
Old 03-02-13, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ever heard of Photshop?
No, the Shimimoku wood in the LS really does look that way...
Old 03-03-13, 09:27 PM
052SI
Pole Position

I've seen the wood mismatch on Cadillac DTS rental cars many times. Whether a car costs 30k or 80k the color and grain should match or it should not be offered in more than one shade/pattern. I don't buy into the 2d vs 3d thing as if the parallell lines were bent around they would not form a complete oval; it's all about the car co trying to save money saying its good enough and most people won't notice.

Hey Lexus, we're Lexus owners pursuing the same perfection you preach you're pursuing...just fix the pattern ok?

Last edited by 052SI; 03-03-13 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 03:22 AM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by 052SI
I've seen the wood mismatch on Cadillac DTS rental cars many times. Whether a car costs 30k or 80k the color and grain should match or it should not be offered in more than one shade/pattern. I don't buy into the 2d vs 3d thing as if the parallell lines were bent around they would not form a complete oval; it's all about the car co trying to save money saying its good enough and most people won't notice.

Hey Lexus, we're Lexus owners pursuing the same perfection you preach you're pursuing...just fix the pattern ok?
Well stated...

Quick Reply: Different Woods Inside? Janky