GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 11:34 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems

Ok so first off I have to give a big thanks to mi1lion because he basically told me how to do everything, and I am sure I annoyed him after the millionth (get it) private message.

Anywho I think this is a cool mod that you can do yourself and it is a semi fun little project. The amazing thing is that is doesn't do anything to the paint and it comes right off, that still doesn't mean I wasn't a little nervous aiming a spray paint bottle at my car.

I had to redo the front bumper because i realized after, that you cannot get a straight edge with plasti without removing the tape right away, (I didn't see that video until after i sprayed it). But I think it came out really good and love the look.

Home depot 2 cans of plasti $5.99 a piece and some 3m tape 6 bucks, so the whole project cost me 18 bucks plus my time.

I am thinking about doing the f sport logos (which will be super easy) and then possibly all of the window trim (which would be more work). What do you guys think?

Old 01-28-13, 11:35 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

After looking at the pics it is really hard to see where the paint stops and the bottom grill starts, so I will try and take some better pics later.
Old 01-28-13, 11:51 AM
Mi1lion
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great ma man, came out even, and no mess Now your car and mine look like twins, except I took off the rear GS 350 emblem. I also PD'd the license plate surround (I just despise chrome). The only thing with the F logos is that they might stick out like a sore thumb, bc there's nothing to really "tie into it" alongside the car. I thought about it also, and I also thought about removing them all together. I'm curious to see how they look when you PD the F logo's and the trim. Keep us posted and congrats on a job well done. Isn't nice to say "I f***ked it up, oh well I'll just peel and re-spray"
Old 01-28-13, 12:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Can't tell whats nicer, the car or your driveway lol. No but seriously it looks great! Does the plastidip have a rubbery texture or smooth like plastic?
Old 01-28-13, 12:15 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Can't tell whats nicer, the car or your driveway lol. No but seriously it looks great! Does the plastidip have a rubbery texture or smooth like plastic?
Like a thinner version of spray bed liner, so more of a rubbery feel.

Last edited by djpeakSD; 01-28-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 12:19 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mi1lion
Looks great ma man, came out even, and no mess Now your car and mine look like twins, except I took off the rear GS 350 emblem. I also PD'd the license plate surround (I just despise chrome). The only thing with the F logos is that they might stick out like a sore thumb, bc there's nothing to really "tie into it" alongside the car. I thought about it also, and I also thought about removing them all together. I'm curious to see how they look when you PD the F logo's and the trim. Keep us posted and congrats on a job well done. Isn't nice to say "I f***ked it up, oh well I'll just peel and re-spray"
Yeah I think your right about the F sport logos. I am going to try one just to see what it looks like. I will probably do my license plate frame too because I really don't like chrome at all either. Ill definitely add the pics of anything else I spray.

We will really be twins once I get my magnaflows installed
Old 01-28-13, 12:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Like a thinner version of spray bed liner, so more of a rubbery feel.
Cool. I went looking at plastidip a few weeks ago and realized there are a few different types. Could you post up a pic of the one you bought when you get a chance?
Old 01-28-13, 12:36 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn that looks good!

To be honest, I was scared when I read the title lol
Old 01-28-13, 12:41 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Cool. I went looking at plastidip a few weeks ago and realized there are a few different types. Could you post up a pic of the one you bought when you get a chance?
Here is what I used.http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UQbiZaVgtUM
Old 01-28-13, 01:00 PM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so people say that you can just peel that off if you didn't like it. if it is that easy to take off, how durable is it on a day to day? would you need to retouch every few weeks?
Old 01-28-13, 01:06 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stick22
so people say that you can just peel that off if you didn't like it. if it is that easy to take off, how durable is it on a day to day? would you need to retouch every few weeks?
Only time will tell on that! With that said, yes it peels right off IF you get it started by peeling a corner up. So I imagine it lasting pretty long without having to do much. They have videos on dipyourcar.com of guys taking there dipped car through car washes and everything. At the end of the day it was super cheap and fairly easy to do so I said what the heck, ill give it a shot. And I have to say I am pleasantly surprised so far.

Side note: I sprayed it right over the parking sensors and they work great with no problems. Not sure how but they still work.
Old 01-28-13, 01:14 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stick22
Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Only time will tell on that! With that said, yes it peels right off IF you get it started by peeling a corner up. So I imagine it lasting pretty long without having to do much. They have videos on dipyourcar.com of guys taking there dipped car through car washes and everything. At the end of the day it was super cheap and fairly easy to do so I said what the heck, ill give it a shot. And I have to say I am pleasantly surprised so far.

Side note: I sprayed it right over the parking sensors and they work great with no problems. Not sure how but they still work.
Ive used to have my entire grill and rear emblems plasti dipped for almost a year and I didnt have any problems
Old 01-28-13, 01:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

nice job DJ... i don't think i'd have the cajones' to aim a spray paint can at my car. she looks good.
Old 01-28-13, 01:34 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Here is a better pic, the sun just came out! Also I didn't mention it in title and I am sure you noticed but I did also do the chrome trim around the front grill.

Last edited by djpeakSD; 01-28-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 01:44 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't tell whats nicer, the car or your driveway lol.
I love that drive way, show us more of your home.

This makes me think I should have gotten white. Looks great!

Quick Reply: Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems