GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS Custom Order Timeframe

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 04:45 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bohemiangy
Called the dealer last week and he was still talking about end of may delivery . I contacted Lexus corporate to express my frustration at a 5+ month wait for a custom order and the fact that they have no way to trace a car or get regular updates.. long story short , they were able to investigate my order and gave me a delivery date in April.. not great but better than end of May the dealer was giving.. you can probably do the same to get a better estimate..one thing I didn't expect is that Lexus called the dealership about my case and gave them a hard time so if you don't want you dealership/sales person to get into trouble, make sure you mention that when contacting Lexus.. kinda sucks that they can't do a better job at communication and keeping customers updated for a 60k+ order but hope this helps.
Wow May geez I was being hopeful with getting mine next month I wonder why so long, I will wait a few more weeks then call my salesman I remember him telling me because they were a high volume dealer it could be as early as 8 weeks, I dont want to be a pain but I am getting anxious.

I wish we could track the progress and get pics during the build that would have been great
Old 02-26-13, 08:18 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

We ordered a couple days before the 20th of the month cut off. It was 74 days or 10 1/2 weeks from ordering to delivery. Being on the west coast helped and I believe ordering from a high volume dealer (Longo) helped.

When I special ordered my BMW I could log on to see what stage it was at or call an 800 number and a live operator would help me out.
Old 02-28-13, 03:59 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 415 Likes on 263 Posts

I ordered the car the first week of October and didn't get it to first week of February. It was longer than the estimated 3mo but it was definitely worth the wait
Old 03-05-13, 06:59 AM
rad-man
Rookie

Could someone clarify the "20th of the month" timing that I keep coming across. I placed an order with my sales rep on February 23rd, and he said he would be able to see when a VIN is assigned to it.

Does this mean that Lexus wont accept it until March 20th?

If that's the case, it will be well into June until I get delivery. I might as well wait until the 2014s get released?!
Old 03-05-13, 07:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, at this point, unless you can find your vehicle already assembled, or on the boat, there's really no point in special ordering a 2013.

Sooner or later they'll probably stop taking special orders on 2013s for that very reason.
Old 03-05-13, 08:50 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

I just missed the cut off in April so it took three and a half months to get mine. I'd probably wait for the 14s if its going to be June myself.
Old 03-05-13, 09:12 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Originally Posted by rad-man
Could someone clarify the "20th of the month" timing that I keep coming across. I placed an order with my sales rep on February 23rd, and he said he would be able to see when a VIN is assigned to it.

Does this mean that Lexus wont accept it until March 20th?

If that's the case, it will be well into June until I get delivery. I might as well wait until the 2014s get released?!
I was told by several dealers that Lexus will accepts orders on the 20th of each month. So, yes. If you signed the paperwork on the 23rd, the order will not be accepted by the factor until the 20th of the next month.
Old 03-05-13, 07:27 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

When I ordered in January I was told the new orders only go in once monthly on the 20th so I f you order on the 21st you will have to wait until the 20th of the next month before it actually goes in. Then Lexus has to accept the order ie if its too late in the model year the may reject the order, I would assume at some point they stop building 2013 and switch to 2014 I just dont know when that is I would assume by July. Good Luck
Old 03-05-13, 09:26 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the time frame or ETA they gave you in January?
Old 03-07-13, 12:28 PM
bohemiangy
Driver School Candidate

I only found out about the 20th cut-off after I had placed the order on Dec 22. I could have easily placed the order a few days before, had the dealer told me about the cut-off earlier. I was still hoping that my order would have an earlier delivery than someone who placed an order on Jan19 but looks like there are many other variables involved and at this point,I am most likely looking at an End of May/June delivery I agree with some of the other folks here about going for a 14 GS if you are waiting till June ... I may end up canceling my order and either getting a car immediatey without the Pre-Collision System as long as it has everything else that I want or just wait a few more months and order a 14GS...

On a separate note, I did see another thread on the forum where some people have had issues with the Pre-Collision System (with the car coming to a sudden stop on the road unexpectedly)..worth checking out and making your own call on whether the whole thing is worth the wait.
Old 03-07-13, 09:19 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
What was the time frame or ETA they gave you in January?
The y said because they were a high volume dealer I could get it as early as 9-10 weeks but could be as long as 3 + mnths

Keeping my fingers crossed for end of march begin April
Old 03-08-13, 04:23 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found out yesterday that my order at the beginning of February is in, but lexus hasn't accepted the order yet. The whole point was I wanted illuminated door sills on the car, and installed at factory. Now I'm being told the sills are installed not at factory, but port or the dealer which I'm not a fan of. Now my delivery time is back further, so it's a wait and see game.

On a brighter note, I'm likely dumping one of our two cars next week back with VW. One of the worst car ownership experiences I've ever had in 20 years.
Old 03-08-13, 07:09 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Now I'm being told the sills are installed not at factory, but port or the dealer which I'm not a fan of.
I don't believe that is true. Our car came with the lighted sills even though we didn't order them. I know the dealer didn't install them and the car arrived at the port on Wednesday and was at the dealer on Friday. I don't think the port would put them on that fast. Also, it was listed on the sticker as an option and is on the website as an option, not an accessory.
Old 03-08-13, 07:24 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Options are installed during production, accessories are installed after production. Accessories are either installed "at port" (on the window sticker) or by a dealership (not on the window sticker).
Old 03-08-13, 07:29 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I just found out yesterday that my order at the beginning of February is in, but lexus hasn't accepted the order yet. The whole point was I wanted illuminated door sills on the car, and installed at factory. Now I'm being told the sills are installed not at factory, but port or the dealer which I'm not a fan of. Now my delivery time is back further, so it's a wait and see game.
This article explains how accessories are installed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/au...pagewanted=all

Quick Reply: GS Custom Order Timeframe