GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 10:01 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Yes, I paid $60k for a Toyota and ...?
And you get a 300k miles of happiness!
Old 01-18-13, 04:15 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
My friend (who is a Honda/Acura guy) gave me crap for driving such old people cars. He took my car (05 GS430) to run to the gas station a block away...........and came back 35 minutes later grinning from ear to ear. He handed me the keys and simply said "Now i get it!".
They all like our car just secretly.
Old 01-18-13, 11:45 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I never get asked that because I work remotely so my co-workers in headquarters have no idea what I drive. My friends would never be crass enough to ask that. In fact, one of them had an MB E-Class that he traded for a Lexus GX due to all the issues.

I did have a guy in an MB S-Class walking all around and checking out my car when I wasn't looking. I don't think he would have asked me that question.
Old 01-18-13, 12:07 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple reasons:

External reasons:
- F10 535i M Sport plows at turns and feels like a tank (although engine and tranny are delightful). PS: I was a pre-Bangle BMW fan.
- Using the same reasoning above, E350 makes a detour while what you want is to make a turn. Cluttered buttons hurt aesthetic. Stupid cruise control stalk in the way of turning signal stalk.

Internal reason:
- In my GS, I like what I look (for me competing cars for interior are only LS, Jaguar XF, and S class), I like what I touch, and I like the sportiness of the car that makes it feels like a lighter car.

But the real reason is:
- We are open minded rational people who calculate and buy what we like because we like it and not because we are brand *****s and other people like it.

Screw them and just enjoy your GS.
Old 01-18-13, 12:27 PM
tomd
Rookie

Owned mainly new MB's all my life. E class, S class, 3 SLs. Local MB dealer closed, so I bought a Lexus. Great car overall. But not even close to a Mercedes. Sorry.
Old 01-18-13, 12:49 PM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomd
Owned mainly new MB's all my life. E class, S class, 3 SLs. Local MB dealer closed, so I bought a Lexus. Great car overall. But not even close to a Mercedes. Sorry.
Id like to hear your thoughts on this (why not even close, etc), and which vehicles you are comparing when you say that. Interestingly our vehicles are similar to your current ones: 2013 GS 450h, 2010 Honda Pilot (although the Pilot is being replaced by an Odyssey tomorrow).
Old 01-18-13, 12:56 PM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
I never get asked that because I work remotely so my co-workers in headquarters have no idea what I drive. My friends would never be crass enough to ask that.
This is consistent with my experience.
Old 01-18-13, 01:59 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tomd
My family has owned 3 generations of E-Class.

In terms of interior features, fit and finish and drive and handling, I agree the 4GS is not even close to the E-Class, it is far beyond the E-Class.

The E-class is only selling well now due to the badge(many buyers don't do their homework and blindly buy the badge) and due to the fact that many people like boring and cushy cars to drive.

Right now the 5 series, A6 and 4GS beats the E-class in both luxury and sportiness. E-class like the S-class is viewed as an old man's car. It really needs a new model E-class and not just an update to be competitive to the new GS.

Don't care about the S-Class since I don't like overweight boats and I'm not geriatric yet. I'm not into SUVs as well.

The new IS will probably spank the C-class in both interior,luxury,tech and driving fun.

If we consider segments in which both Lexus and MB have competing options (compact,midsize and fullsize sedans), Lexus is superior in 2 (IS and GS).

I do like the CLS and CL coupes though.

IMO the only thing Mercedes has going for it is the safety aspect and the AMG line. Where MB is ahead is that it offers more niche and crossover models and it has a fully fledged performance line in AMG. And that may soon change when Lexus starts buildiing the GS-F and maybe the LS-F. And new Lexus coupes and crossovers are definitely in the pipeline.

But comparing model to model in terms of mainstream sedans ? Lexus is streets ahead in reliablity, luxury and driving fun.

MB sorely needs updates to its C-class and E-class ASAP. It can't keep relying on un-informed people buying it based on perceived snob value alone. Sooner or later, people will wise up to the fact that MB's mainstream non-AMG cars are intrinsically sub-par compared to the competiton.

Last edited by natnut; 01-19-13 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah I agree about MB. I have honestly always really tried to like a Mercedes. I HEAVILY test drove the E350 before buying my GS, as the style and prestige of a Mercedes has always appealed to me and I've always wanted one. I had really decided this time I was going to get something that was not a Lexus.

Whenever I sit in an MB, it just doesn't do anything for me. The interiors are hard and angular, the displays and switchgear seem out of the '90s, the leather...when they have leather...is coarse and rubbery feeling. On the road the E class is an absolute barge, no sporting nature to it at all...and thats saying something being a previous ES owner.

Now, I'm talking about an E350 4Matic, not an AMG or sport package car, I'm sure those are different but I would never even consider an E class compared to a GS or 5 series, and I really WANTED to like it. Most reviews agree, in fact a lot of comparison tests really omit the E class.

Same is true of the S class IMHO, I drove a CPO one when I was looking and I just don't get it. Did absolutely nothing for me, I like the style and look...but once I sit in one and drive one it has zero appeal for me whatsoever.
Old 01-18-13, 02:17 PM
fly2low
Driver

To be fair, the current E class is one generation older than GS. Let's wait and see the 2014.
Old 01-18-13, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Sure, but the 2014 is basically just a refresh. I've seen pictures, and IMHO from the front it looses much of what I liked about the E class which was how stately it looked. The new one...I dunno "stately" is not how I would describe it. The interior which was always my issue is still hard and angular, switchgear and displays are still the same.

So all they did was change the only thing I did like.

One of my salespeople has a new C300, which is a nice little car, but when you factor that he paid $46k for it, its cramped, styling is a little awkward (big car styling on a small car, has been an issue with the C class since 2001 IMHO), it doesn't even have real leather seats, switchgear and displays are old looking. For $46k? Really?!? I'd rather have a UL ES350.

My GS was $60k. An E350 comparibly equipped is about $5,500 more...and you still lack some equipment you get in the GS luxury package like a passenger multicontour seat, heated wheel AND wood wheel, thats also a 2013, barring any price hike for the 2014.

In the big premium car market, I'd buy an LS, A8, XJ Jag, 7 Series, all before I'd buy an S class, and the S Class would be probably $20k+ more comparably equipped to any of them! I just don't get it. The only allure I can see is the three pointed star on the hood. But, to get my dollar you need that and at least a driving and interior experience thats AS GOOD.

As much as I want to like them, I just don't like them...I've tried to like them for years.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-18-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 03:12 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

When people ask me why I didn't buy, a german luxury vehicle, I point out the fact that Lexus is always on top of the auto manufacturer's list for reliability.

Also I NEVER fail to mention that I asked my most trusted auto mechanics before I made a decision on what car to buy. Both of them had the same answer...and no, they don't know each other. They both nearly echoed each other...

Their response was akin to this, "Well, we do see a lot of German cars in our shop. Mercedes, BMW, Audi...we are quite familiar with them. Don't buy German because after the warranty runs out, the cost of repair is pretty high. If you don't believe me then just ask my customers that own them."
Old 01-18-13, 03:30 PM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by Vasili
When people ask me why I didn't buy, a german luxury vehicle, I point out the fact that Lexus is always on top of the auto manufacturer's list for reliability.

Also I NEVER fail to mention that I asked my most trusted auto mechanics before I made a decision on what car to buy. Both of them had the same answer...and no, they don't know each other. They both nearly echoed each other...

Their response was akin to this, "Well, we do see a lot of German cars in our shop. Mercedes, BMW, Audi...we are quite familiar with them. Don't buy German because after the warranty runs out, the cost of repair is pretty high. If you don't believe me then just ask my customers that own them."
A neighbor of mine got his vanos sensor on his 2008 328i broken. Dealer quoted him close to 5g to take the top end off. He got saved by another neighbor whose pop had an indy shop and just charged him 1700. His next move was to sell that car because "it broke" and purchased a 2010 x5m. Really, although cpo'ed, replacing a naturally aspirited bmw with a forced induction bmw because "it broke?" Some people are just not rational.
Old 01-18-13, 05:19 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fly2low
A neighbor of mine got his vanos sensor on his 2008 328i broken. Dealer quoted him close to 5g to take the top end off. He got saved by another neighbor whose pop had an indy shop and just charged him 1700. His next move was to sell that car because "it broke" and purchased a 2010 x5m. Really, although cpo'ed, replacing a naturally aspirited bmw with a forced induction bmw because "it broke?" Some people are just not rational.
I guess some people get attached to something and its's over. They won't listen to reason.
Old 01-18-13, 08:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned an Audi A6 4.2. It was like heaven just listening to the car start with the V8, and the structure was rock solid. However, on numerous occasions when I brought it in the shop the service manager said... and I quote... "The Germans invent the technology and the Japanese perfect it". This, coming from an Audi service manager. I would rather have something that has been "perfected". Nuff said.

Quick Reply: how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?