GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Has anyone upgraded the upgraded the sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 10:44 AM
Dashin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone upgraded the upgraded the sound system?

Posting says it!

I have the standard sound because I was told it was rather difficult to find the f sport RWD with the ML and now I am deeply regretting it!

I need more power out of my system specifically upgrading the sound of the front window speakers and adding some low end bass.

What upgrades have you done, adding amps, changing speakers etc
Old 01-16-13, 11:29 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Dashin
Posting says it!

I have the standard sound because I was told it was rather difficult to find the f sport RWD with the ML and now I am deeply regretting it!

I need more power out of my system specifically upgrading the sound of the front window speakers and adding some low end bass.

What upgrades have you done, adding amps, changing speakers etc
Lol, I'm trying to do the same thing.
Old 01-16-13, 11:42 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew I wanted Fsport with ML and starfire pearl. I found it so I bought it, I am wishing I had the cabernet interior however, but I am sure finding all of that would have been a long shot, (to be honest I was just excited) black interior is nice but that cabernet is soooooo nice.
Old 01-16-13, 11:45 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the best thing for you guys to do is to get some separates for up front and some coaxial's for the back with a 10 inch sub and a five channel amp, and call it a day. I have had great success with MBquarts in the past for separates and coaxial's, just make sure to turn down the highs a little bit on the speaker settings cause those things can scream. I also love JLaudio for subs, I'm sure everyone has their own preferences but JL sub MBquart for separates you definitely can not go wrong.

Here is one of my favorite amps http://www.jlaudio.com/hd900-5-car-a...plifiers-98223

Last edited by djpeakSD; 01-16-13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 01:35 PM
SoCal1984
Rookie

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
I knew I wanted Fsport with ML and starfire pearl. I found it so I bought it, I am wishing I had the cabernet interior however, but I am sure finding all of that would have been a long shot, (to be honest I was just excited) black interior is nice but that cabernet is soooooo nice.
I can relate 100%. I sat in a GS with standard audio then one with ML. About 20 seconds into the ML I was sold. They did not have a Starfire Pearl with black or I probably would have made the exact same decision. But because I had to order it I ordered Starfire Pearl with Cabernet interior, Nav, ML, HUD,, best combination IMO.

Last edited by SoCal1984; 01-16-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 01:47 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I bought the GS Fsport w/out the ML last Feb, ordered one w/ML SFP with cabernet and HUD/LDH and never look back.
Old 01-16-13, 06:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Damn I really wish I could have gotten the F-Sport with the ML I feel like I'm missing that sound. Oh well I'll have to see what I can add.
Old 01-16-13, 08:25 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread will give you an idea of how to upgrade your stereo system for not too much.
Old 01-17-13, 04:51 AM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I just picked up my F Sport last night. My last 2 GS's had ML but they couldn't find it with my cab interior. I am heartbroken about the sound difference, but since everything else is great i'll make the best of it. ML is definitely worth it in my opinion. Haven't been this excited about a car since I got my GS430 back in 06: this thing is awesome!
Old 01-18-13, 10:39 AM
Dashin
Driver School Candidate

More specifically I am wondering if anybody was able to replace the factory amp with a higher powered one?

Perhaps I need to bypass the amp? Just nervous, I don't want to void any warranties or screw anything up.
Old 01-18-13, 01:31 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dashin
More specifically I am wondering if anybody was able to replace the factory amp with a higher powered one?

Perhaps I need to bypass the amp? Just nervous, I don't want to void any warranties or screw anything up.

I am sure you can replace the amp. It would probably also be a good time to replace the speakers too. It will just take time and patience or a good install budget. I wonder can one better the ML system for the same($1,600?) that it costs with an aftermarket system?
Old 01-23-13, 11:33 PM
VMM
Driver School Candidate

I hear you guys. Found 2 perfect F sports with every option my wife wanted... but the ML system. The SA agreed with me that gearheads are often audiophiles and was surprised that so few of these come with ML. I refuse to compromise and will order and wait the 3-4 months.
Old 01-24-13, 12:20 AM
k20eg
Rookie

Originally Posted by VMM
I hear you guys. Found 2 perfect F sports with every option my wife wanted... but the ML system. The SA agreed with me that gearheads are often audiophiles and was surprised that so few of these come with ML. I refuse to compromise and will order and wait the 3-4 months.
I felt the same way, refused to compromised and ended up waiting 4 months of a F sport with ML. Really happy I waited, love the sound system.
Old 01-24-13, 03:22 PM
ShermanMR2
Rookie

I have a different feeling about the ML system. Read more here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...car-sucks.html

Last edited by ShermanMR2; 01-24-13 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-28-13, 08:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an infinite baffle 15" Acoustic Elegance subwoofer. I think it's 4ohm. Do you think the stock amp can push this or is it even compatible? ( I do have an alpine pdx 1000.1 and 4.150pdx amp laying around but would hate to wire that up. Quite a few vibe litebox 4 channel amps aka arc audio clone ) I got 2 pairs of audible physics 6.5'' and 3.5" XR duo at 4ohm. I'll have to sell these if they are not compatible with oem amp

looks like oem amp except this one is class GH

here is the page with prices on the speakers (OEM)

Last edited by sam430; 01-28-13 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone upgraded the upgraded the sound system?