GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The Reason Why No Fog Lights On F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 09:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default The Reason Why No Fog Lights On F-Sport

Ok, I was really curious as to the reason why the F-Sport does not have fogs. I can tell you now its now the reason the dealers told you, Lexus decided to go with this design concept because they were following European design, so they decided not to add them to the F-Sport to help with the sporty look. Not to help cool the brakes as the rep said because there is a inlet next to that area to help cool the brakes. Amazing as I order my fog light kit, I feel I should be compensated for something that should be standard on every luxury car.
Old 01-15-13, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Bro u are probably unaware of the arguing over foglamps on the GS F-sport when it debuted. It was comical. Others with no fog lamps, no problem. GS with no fog lamps, conspiracy theories and everything hurled at the GS.
Old 01-15-13, 09:22 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, fog lights dont do anything much IMO
Old 01-15-13, 09:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nexson
They help you "look" better....

The NO FOGs for the GS F-Sport was to follow what the competition is putting out there for other cars in this segment with "Sport Packages" in high volume regions..

Lexus Japan stayed true to the original design and kept Fog Lamps as a "Standard" in their region.

So this info is almost a year old now..... But I fixed all that here this past Spring:

Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!

And an FYI, that Blank Cover we get in the USA is SOLID....
+
ALL F-Sport bumpers come pre-drilled to accept Fog Lamp housings
(original design)

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-17-13 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 09:42 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Completely agree, I much prefer the look of the front end without the fog lights, and as for there practical use I probable used the 3 times in for years on my MK3
Old 01-15-13, 10:29 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the fog lights from the US model was a cost cutting measure.
Old 01-15-13, 11:46 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree that Lexus has taken a page from the Europeans... i'm cool with it.
Old 01-15-13, 11:48 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Bro u are probably unaware of the arguing over foglamps on the GS F-sport when it debuted. It was comical. Others with no fog lamps, no problem. GS with no fog lamps, conspiracy theories and everything hurled at the GS.
Yeah I didn't really follow the GS that much when it came out, mostly because I was waiting for the GS 450h to debut. That's good to know.

I thought the point is to light the ground during fog hence the name. I do use it for looks don't get me wrong but I thought that was its solid purpose.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
They help you "look" better....

The NO FOGs for the GS F-Sport was to follow what the competition is putting out there for other cars in this segment with "Sport Packages" in high volume regions..

Lexus Japan stayed true to the original design and kept Fog Lamps as a "Standard" in their region.

So this info is almost a year old now..... But I fixed all that here this past Spring:

Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!

And an FYI, that Blank Cover we get in the USA is SOLID....
+
ALL F-Sport bumpers come pre-drilled to accept Fog Lamp housings
(original design)

~ Joe Z
+1 yeah I knew the cover was solid but some dealers kept trying to say that it channeled air to the brakes, I said how when its solid. actually I tried to PM you I was trying to find out if it was plug and play or it required cutting. couldn't find this thread. I need my yellow fogs!
Old 01-15-13, 11:56 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Only 1 reason: Cutting cost.

Same thing for no power folding mirror, power close trunk....

Other region have those as standard.
Old 01-15-13, 11:57 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by onexcite
Only 1 reason: Cutting cost.

Same thing for no power folding mirror, power close trunk....

Other region have those as standard.
I thought we were the bread and butter though, I thought more sales come from us thats why I'm so confused
Old 01-15-13, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I thought we were the bread and butter though, I thought more sales come from us thats why I'm so confused
but you have to look at the exchange rate, that's the key. most cars come to the US doesn't mean people here have the most money for the car
Old 01-15-13, 01:22 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People in every other market including Canada pay more and are used to paying more for the same cars we get in the U.S. Even in Germany the same BMW models cost more there than they do here.

Manufacturers know that U.S consumers are only willing to pay a certain amount more for every given car, if they were to sell the GS for $75-$80K with all of the options available none of us would buy one and it would price the car out of the market.

Lexus and every manufacturer knows that they can introduce a new model and the average U.S consumer is willing to pay a base price of 5-7% more for the updated model and not much more. The 2013 GS offers better features, better quality materials and a driving experience than the out going model. All of that cost money for Toyota to engineer, yet the base MSRP is the same as the old car give or take a few $$$$. That has to be accounted for.

If you look at the sum of the parts, the new GS is a deal compared to the old one (I know because I had a 2011 GS). It's a trade off, better car overall with the sacrifice of fog lights, a trunk that closes for itself and power folding mirrors.

They lower the price by leaving off parts to sell more volume in North America and the U.S to be more specific.
Old 01-15-13, 04:56 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by N54MPower
People in every other market including Canada pay more and are used to paying more for the same cars we get in the U.S. Even in Germany the same BMW models cost more there than they do here.

Manufacturers know that U.S consumers are only willing to pay a certain amount more for every given car, if they were to sell the GS for $75-$80K with all of the options available none of us would buy one and it would price the car out of the market.

Lexus and every manufacturer knows that they can introduce a new model and the average U.S consumer is willing to pay a base price of 5-7% more for the updated model and not much more. The 2013 GS offers better features, better quality materials and a driving experience than the out going model. All of that cost money for Toyota to engineer, yet the base MSRP is the same as the old car give or take a few $$$$. That has to be accounted for.

If you look at the sum of the parts, the new GS is a deal compared to the old one (I know because I had a 2011 GS). It's a trade off, better car overall with the sacrifice of fog lights, a trunk that closes for itself and power folding mirrors.

They lower the price by leaving off parts to sell more volume in North America and the U.S to be more specific.
Ok got it, didn't know that much knew the price of the GS was more over there but didn't know all of that thanks. Well I ordered the parts through my dealership and I need to find where I can purchase the surrounding cover. My parts guy said he could get it not sure how, but I wll have a back up plan.
Old 01-15-13, 05:31 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok got it, didn't know that much knew the price of the GS was more over there but didn't know all of that thanks. Well I ordered the parts through my dealership and I need to find where I can purchase the surrounding cover. My parts guy said he could get it not sure how, but I wll have a back up plan.
NIGEL JDM... $80.00, check sewell and get the CL discount.
Old 01-15-13, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there is no such part in the US part number list, you have to go to someone with access to jdm parts as sydtoosic stated

Quick Reply: The Reason Why No Fog Lights On F-Sport