GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ipod video to nav screen via usb input?

Old 05-21-13, 01:55 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k20eg
I happen to order this kit a few days ago, I should have this installed some time this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I installed the navi lockout override myself without any problems hoping this install is as straight forward.
Please keep us posted as I am really interested in this product!!!!!
Old 05-21-13, 05:14 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Please keep us posted as I am really interested in this product!!!!!
Yes, please keep us updated! I'm seriously considering this as well.
Old 05-21-13, 06:01 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jscgs350
Yes, please keep us updated! I'm seriously considering this as well.
I am also curious
Old 05-22-13, 07:51 AM
wanwiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto! I too have the Prestigious Society NAV Override module installed and was very curious to see if this would play videos ffrom the Apple iPOD, iPhone, iPad w/o any pause between videos and screen size was identical to how DVD's were currently played.

2013 GS350 F-Sport: Starfire Pearl/Cabernet Red | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Remote Engine Start | ISSForged FM10R Gloss Black/Polished 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Nitto NT555 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | Swift Springs | Prestigious Society NAV Override | JDM Fog Light Kit w/Hoen Endurance Yellow Bulbs
Old 05-22-13, 08:51 PM
k20eg
Rookie

I got the mobile entertainment integration system (MEIS) installed today.
link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=281
It took me about 15 minutes to do the entire install. All you do is pull the trim around the navigation unit off, there are two 10mm bolts you have to take off and pull the entire unit out. On the back of the head unit you pull out one of the factory plugs and plug that into the harness provided. From the harness you plug that back into the head unit and you're done. Run the composite cables to wherever you're going to be plugging in your device. In order to play videos while driving you need to also install the navigation and video enhancement system.
link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1167
I already had that installed previously so I didn't need to do that. That install took me quite a bit longer because there's a lot more different plugs and wires that aren't as easily accessible. I had most of my dash taken apart for that install. The kit also came with wires to be able to play video on other video screens besides the navigation screen, I skipped those steps because I don't have any screens in the back of my car.

Overall it was very easy to do and straight forward. It almost seemed like Lexus designed the navigation system to be able to play videos off an external source. Instead of an AUX tab on your media tabs, it's replace with an A/V tab. There was no other setup necessary, I literally plugged it in and was able to play videos right away. I had installed the Vaistech system on our 2012 RX350 and that was much more of a pain to install. It was a much larger unit I had install and hide, there were a lot more wires to plug in and it was more difficult to figure out how to use. The directions that came with the MEIS weren't that detailed but I was able to figure it out. Their set of directions that came with the navigation and video enhancement system was much more detailed including pictures of how to remove each body panel, where each bolt and clip is located and how to remove them. I referred to those directions when removing the head unit for the installation. The video playback works the same as when you play DVDs. The quality of the videos wasn't 't exactly what I was expecting, the videos seemed a little grainy to me. At first I thought it was because of the small screen but DVD video playback looks much better. My best guess would be its due to my phone's video output is poor quality or because of the composite cables. The Vaistech system I have on the RX350 uses component cables instead of composite and looks better in my opinion.
Old 05-23-13, 04:51 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k20eg
I got the mobile entertainment integration system (MEIS) installed today.
link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=281
It took me about 15 minutes to do the entire install. All you do is pull the trim around the navigation unit off, there are two 10mm bolts you have to take off and pull the entire unit out. On the back of the head unit you pull out one of the factory plugs and plug that into the harness provided. From the harness you plug that back into the head unit and you're done. Run the composite cables to wherever you're going to be plugging in your device. In order to play videos while driving you need to also install the navigation and video enhancement system.
link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1167
I already had that installed previously so I didn't need to do that. That install took me quite a bit longer because there's a lot more different plugs and wires that aren't as easily accessible. I had most of my dash taken apart for that install. The kit also came with wires to be able to play video on other video screens besides the navigation screen, I skipped those steps because I don't have any screens in the back of my car.

Overall it was very easy to do and straight forward. It almost seemed like Lexus designed the navigation system to be able to play videos off an external source. Instead of an AUX tab on your media tabs, it's replace with an A/V tab. There was no other setup necessary, I literally plugged it in and was able to play videos right away. I had installed the Vaistech system on our 2012 RX350 and that was much more of a pain to install. It was a much larger unit I had install and hide, there were a lot more wires to plug in and it was more difficult to figure out how to use. The directions that came with the MEIS weren't that detailed but I was able to figure it out. Their set of directions that came with the navigation and video enhancement system was much more detailed including pictures of how to remove each body panel, where each bolt and clip is located and how to remove them. I referred to those directions when removing the head unit for the installation. The video playback works the same as when you play DVDs. The quality of the videos wasn't 't exactly what I was expecting, the videos seemed a little grainy to me. At first I thought it was because of the small screen but DVD video playback looks much better. My best guess would be its due to my phone's video output is poor quality or because of the composite cables. The Vaistech system I have on the RX350 uses component cables instead of composite and looks better in my opinion.
Good write up, thanks! One thng I was curious about was the video quality since it wasn't using HDMI like the Vais's unit uses.

I want to mirror my device and use apps like Google Maps/Nav, so I'd need the navigation and video enhancement system as well.

If you have screen shots of video and your device mirrored on the display, can you post those too?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-13, 02:16 AM
k20eg
Rookie

I played around with it a little more and found the video quality is much better than I originally thought. I found a few reasons why I wasn't getting the results i wanted. The videos I was testing off my iPhone were poor quality so when it displayed on the navi screen which is considerably bigger than the iPhone it of course didn't look good. After streaming higher quality music videos off VEMO app and playing better quality movies it looked much better. I also took the case off my phone because it didn't allow the plug to fit completely into the iPhone which may have caused some of graininess in the video. It also seemed that the video quality was also dependent on how hard the phone is being worked. After I turned off all the other apps running in the background the video quality got better.

I'll take some pictures this weekend of a video being played to show how it looks. My iPhone isn't jailbroken so i'm not able to mirror google maps onto the screen. I'll try to do it on my jailbroken iPad instead and see if I can mirror a few apps for u.
Old 06-26-13, 03:07 PM
wanwiz
Driver School Candidate

k20eg, any updates on your screen shots with video playing? I have the NAV bypass module from Prestigious Society and burn my music videos from Freemake Video Converter with no issues. However, I have way more Itunes videos on my ipod and for those 3-4 hr trips+ it only makes sense to have it playing from my ipod vs popping in/out DVD's while driving.

2013 GS350 F-Sport: Starfire Pearl/Cabernet Red | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Remote Engine Start | ISSForged FM10R Gloss Black/Polished 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Nitto NT555 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | Swift Springs | Prestigious Society NAV Override | JDM Fog Light Kit w/PIIA Yellow Bulbs
Old 12-16-13, 05:08 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Bump!

K20eg post some pics please.... Thanks
Old 05-27-15, 06:51 PM
disbeyinya
Driver School Candidate

anyone revisit this and add a car wifi like mirabox and pair that up with the rca input from ps for video and sound?
Old 04-03-16, 11:47 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago66
ok. jsut picked up my gs 350 fsport. having fun.. noticed that when i plug in my ipad to the usb port it recognizes it as an ipod. but.. here is the question.. it will play sound of music files no problem
OK, I finally found a thread I was looking for .. so from your comment I gather it is possible to play say audio-books from an Ipad through the USB connector .. I looked up the manual for an IS (I don't have the car yet) and only Ipods and Iphones were listed as compatible devices, no Ipad.

Last edited by Olasek; 04-03-16 at 11:54 AM.