GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why are the car technology systems so poor?

Old 01-11-15, 03:28 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an app you can use on your phone to send address to your navigation and I think its called eDestinations.

Does this app work with Canadian vehicles? Or is this part of Enform that we don't have access to?

It would be nice to be able to plan a trip in the house with your phone and then just transfer the destinations once in the vehicle.
Old 01-11-15, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Not going to go back & forth - obviously the more tech minded folks will agree that Lexus (among other mfgs) are WAY behind in technology.
Lexus isn't at the forefront, but I don't think they are at the back either. Jaguar, Acura/Honda, GM, all have systems that I think are distinctly inferior to Lexus/Toyota. Mercedes new Comand is better, but just as of 2014. My Jeep for instance has a lot more functionality, but when it comes to just plain navigation I prefer the Lexus system. Ditto to BMW, the system is much more functional but I prefer Lexus' interface.

I'm pretty tech minded. I'm 33, I've had iPhones since there have been iPhones, iPads since there have been iPads, we use a lot of technology in our business, I'm an all Mac shop and home. What I don't like is more complex tech for the sake of being complex. Sometimes simpler is better.

Just on this point though. Here is Google Maps from Street Views of Time's Square: https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...tch=96&fovy=75

If I was to actually SEE the location of a small shop (amongst the monster stores/attraction there), I can zoom in and see it/get closer.

PLEASE show me ANY Lexus nav image that is even remotely close and provides that much detail. Feel free to scour the forums/internet.
I think my question would be why would you want/need your car navigation system to be zoomable to that much detail. If I'm in Times Square looking for a small shop, I'm not doing it in my car. I want my car navigation system to help me find my way from point A to point B...thats all.

I guess thats cool, but I can't understand the reason for needing it to do that. Like I said, I'm not impressed by technology for technology's sake. If my nav system directs me to the right block in Times Square I can find it from there with these incredible things called my eyes.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-11-15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 07:25 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lexus isn't at the forefront, but I don't think they are at the back either. Jaguar, Acura/Honda, GM, all have systems that I think are distinctly inferior to Lexus/Toyota. Mercedes new Comand is better, but just as of 2014. My Jeep for instance has a lot more functionality, but when it comes to just plain navigation I prefer the Lexus system. Ditto to BMW, the system is much more functional but I prefer Lexus' interface.

I'm pretty tech minded. I'm 33, I've had iPhones since there have been iPhones, iPads since there have been iPads, we use a lot of technology in our business, I'm an all Mac shop and home. What I don't like is more complex tech for the sake of being complex. Sometimes simpler is better.

I think my question would be why would you want/need your car navigation system to be zoomable to that much detail. If I'm in Times Square looking for a small shop, I'm not doing it in my car. I want my car navigation system to help me find my way from point A to point B...thats all.

I guess thats cool, but I can't understand the reason for needing it to do that. Like I said, I'm not impressed by technology for technology's sake. If my nav system directs me to the right block in Times Square I can find it from there with these incredible things called my eyes.
I completely agree with Sw13gs. Simplicity is better than complex in a car.
Old 01-11-15, 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

+1. You said it!
Old 01-11-15, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In answer to the original OP's question re: why car technology is so poor, it is because cars are meant to be driven, not sat in retrieving and answering messages like you are in Starbucks.
Old 01-12-15, 04:04 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree in-car technology is poor when compared to our smartphones and other technology we use everyday. But you have to realize cars take a LONG time (5+ years) to engineer and develop before they go on sale. So our 4th gen GS, which went on sale in late 2012, probably started development back in 2007 (http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...oad-test1.html). When you think about it, that's around the same time that the first iPhone (2007) was released and before the first Android (2008) phones went on sale.
Old 01-12-15, 05:03 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
I agree in-car technology is poor when compared to our smartphones and other technology we use everyday. But you have to realize cars take a LONG time (5+ years) to engineer and develop before they go on sale. So our 4th gen GS, which went on sale in late 2012, probably started development back in 2007 (http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...oad-test1.html). When you think about it, that's around the same time that the first iPhone (2007) was released and before the first Android (2008) phones went on sale.
^What he said!

You would think by the amount of people working in IT industry that are also in this forum would understand this and accept it for what it is. Instead of complaining and asking for way to much for an unrealistic exspectation. For those who think cars media, navigation and operating systems should keep pace with apple phones and android tablets should go work for Lexus and help them develop those techs themselves. Id bet the people who complain about this would not be able to do much better than current lexus engineers. Put your money where your mouth is....if you say it can be done and Lexus is just holding back then go do it yourself. Lol.
Old 01-12-15, 05:53 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a lot of you guys defend the tech in the car but you have no leg to stand on, it gots to go! Gots to go!

I'll just leave this here:
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Old 01-12-15, 08:36 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
^^ I get what you're saying, but that's NOT an excuse. Have you ever seen a Tesla Model S? Know what year that came out? 2012 as well!

Also, let's say I play along with your logic that it took several years to develop.. why is that Lexus' NEWER vehicles are NOT radically different in terms of interior technology? Look at the 2015 RC, 2015 NX, 2016 GS F-Sport, etc etc.

The simple fact is that Lexus is NOT devoting resources to rapidly advance tech in their vehicles. They simply see what's out in the market currently (from it's rival competitions) and develop tech to be able to somewhat compete with them (and maybe introduce a few new features/upgrades here & there). That's exactly what SW13GS concluded as well after picking apart my statements.

Lexus may put out super reliable, luxurious vehicles.. BUT you're just a fanboy if you think Lexus is an innovator in the technology realm. There is literally nothing in terms of interior technology that makes me say "wow" in their vehicles. That's what is missing and I'm not a consumer that likes to accept mediocrity. I want to see more companies pushing the boundaries of where technology can go in vehicles, when clearly people know that car mfgs are SO far behind and gouge consumers for "upgrades"/"updates".

Whether you're fine with the way things are currently or not, you'll see this area rapidly advance within the next 5-10 years guaranteed. I cannot wait until tech innovators like Apple & Google start being integrated more in cars!

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-12-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 09:22 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed - there are a lot of people making excuses for Lexus but guys lets get real the cars aren't perfect. They're good but there are many faults too. Tech is certainly one.

Lexus is one of the last to update and make their systems modern. Have you used a Chrysler or Dodge gps system? It's surprisingly good. Have you seen the new gen myfordtouch coming out next year? It's impressive.

Lexus tech is ok but not modern. Also a lot of mistakes auto makers make is that they put weak hardware into their systems to save a few bucks.

Listen to our Bluetooth phone quality in our cars - worst I've ever heard.

Lexus needs to step up their game in the tech they put into their cars even on the most basic level.
Old 01-12-15, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
^^ I get what you're saying, but that's NOT an excuse. Have you ever seen a Tesla Model S? Know what year that came out? 2012 as well!
The Tesla is another animal though. They have an entirely different mindset, its a low volume vehicle, you can't blame a mainstream car company because they weren't innovating like a startup.

In any event, all I have to do is look at the interior of a Tesla. I wouldn't buy one over a MB S550 just because its an electric car or has better tech. IMHO the interior is awful at half the price, let alone what they actually cost. Its all about priorities.

Lexus may put out super reliable, luxurious vehicles.. BUT you're just a fanboy if you think Lexus is an innovator in the technology realm. There is literally nothing in terms of interior technology that makes me say "wow" in their vehicles. That's what is missing and I'm not a consumer that likes to accept mediocrity. I want to see more companies pushing the boundaries of where technology can go in vehicles, when clearly people know that car mfgs are SO far behind and gouge consumers for "upgrades"/"updates".
I don't think anybody is saying Lexus is an innovator when it comes to infotainment technology. In fact I think I said I didn't think it was "so bad" and that while I didn't think they were at the head of the pack, they weren't at the back either.

Bottom line is...if you wanted the best tech available you bought the wrong car. I'd much rather have two GS350s or an S550 than a Tesla, "incredible tech" or not.

Sounds to me like you better unload that backwards, "mediocre" POS you were just so proud to save up for and take delivery of. You say you aren't a consumer that that accepts "mediocrity" when thats apparently exactly what you did.
Old 01-12-15, 12:02 PM
tnofam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
In answer to the original OP's question re: why car technology is so poor, it is because cars are meant to be driven, not sat in retrieving and answering messages like you are in Starbucks.
+1 on this. You buy a car to drive it, not sit in and reply to emails. The fact that my car can read a text message for me including curse words is amazing. Leaps and bounds more "technical" than a lot of other cars.

I also second the poster that said if you want to do all those things, bring a laptop with you. A lot of the things OP wants in the car wouldn't be enabled while driving anyway. Since having this car I've never once wished I was able to do something through the car I wasn't able to on my phone, while stopped. But that's just me.
Old 01-12-15, 01:17 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NAV is now free on the 2015 model..

First question I asked the dealer, how do I turn this darn huge screen OFF??! And can I just use the manual controls for ac and radio?

Some people are into cars, and some are into computers though... and I guess nowadays some people want both in one! Sadly, I think we'll get there...

Gratz on the Tesla!!
Old 01-12-15, 02:32 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Sounds to me like you better unload that backwards, "mediocre" POS you were just so proud to save up for and take delivery of. You say you aren't a consumer that that accepts "mediocrity" when thats apparently exactly what you did.
This guy...

When did I ever mentioned the word "POS"?? I'm very proud and blessed to be driving a Lexus, especially a top of the line GS that is nearly fully loaded.*

*Great opportunity to repost the link to check my car out here if you haven't already: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...erage-guy.html

I even said on page 2 of my topic that if I was shopping for things that are important to me.. a "4 door, luxury, efficient (mpg wise), performance oriented car, for long term ownership (very reliable)"... there is nothing else that I would consider over my Lexus other than a top of the line, fully loaded Tesla (P85D). That statement was made with the mindset that I would be driving the car daily and I'm not looking for $200K+ "exotic" type of cars that hardly anyone owns... only looking at "everyday" type of vehicles.

The word "mediocre" is a relative term. For me, the Lexus interior technology is "mediocre," while for you.. it might make you bat nuts crazy.

A small correction because I think you're missing something crucial, I said: "I'm not a consumer that likes to accept mediocrity." "Likes" is different than cannot accept mediocrity at all. I'm a very smart & informed shopper. I'm not a fanboy to one brand and I compare across multiple car mfgs & across multiple price ranges. Will I accept something mediocre while also considering affordability/if it's right for me to own at this stage in my life/overall value? Of course! That's done everyday.. i.e. when you walk into your home/where you live.

I still think the Tesla P85D is a much better car than any car Lexus has ever made for what I value (including the GS450h that I own). Is it worth 2X the cost of a Lexus GS450h? That's debatable.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-12-15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 03:27 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tnofam
+1 on this. You buy a car to drive it, not sit in and reply to emails. The fact that my car can read a text message for me including curse words is amazing. Leaps and bounds more "technical" than a lot of other cars.

I also second the poster that said if you want to do all those things, bring a laptop with you. A lot of the things OP wants in the car wouldn't be enabled while driving anyway. Since having this car I've never once wished I was able to do something through the car I wasn't able to on my phone, while stopped. But that's just me.
Yea right, and your phone is just to make phone calls, PM your address and I'll send you my Cingular Motorola Razr phone from 2004.

cnet.com/pictures/motorola-razr-v3-history/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are the car technology systems so poor?