GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why are the car technology systems so poor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 03:55 PM
pacmanmmgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or better yet, let's implant Apple microchips into everyone's brain and help them control us more than they actually do.
Old 01-10-15, 05:36 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

To OP,

Many of the things you listed can be fixed, adjusted and changed. I personally think everything works as it should on my 2014 GS 350 and very happy. Some of the problems you mentioned is fixed on the 2014 and 2015 model years. And I am pretty sure 2016 will bring more improvements. The Lexus GS is a great car and I also think the Tesla is a great car too but that car needs a little more polish and better attention to detail. Lexus GS has many attention to details its too long to list here.

Here are my responses to your post.

It only holds 1000 contacts - my phone ideally holds my company's entire directory which is 900 employees. Add in external and personal contacts and I am WAY over 1000. This is a car not a Smartphone or business computer. Lexus made this for the GENERAL public and 90% of everyone who buys this car would not need more than 1000 contacts. Ive seen cars that can hold only 100 contacts and even then its still good enough for the average joe. If you want 10,000 contacts just store it on your phone.

Scrolling through the contacts to find ones that you want to add to your SpeedDial, or to call is painful, even though you can jump to some letters. You can always use voice command to dial for you. I have not problems doing this and the system understands me everytime and I have a southern country accent. Just press voice command "CALL" Jesse "CELL" and confirm with "DIAL" or "CALL" Skylar "HOME and press ANSWER button on steering wheel. This works everytime even while driving.

The reply functionality for emails doesn't work. Thats because you have an IPHONE/other incompatible phone. for some reason this does not work with APPLE phone, text messaging on the lexus does not work with apple phones either. My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 works both perfectly.

For XM radio the presets are stored as channel numbers rather than names so I have to remember that "Channel 20" is "E Street Radio" Id rather have a number listed for the stations than the station name, because I spend most of my time on the road reading road signs and paying attention to road traffic and not staring at a screen in my car and risking an accident. When I change my preset i just listen to what is playing and without looking I can tell what station I am on. I personally know a friend who rear ends someone who panic stopped in from of him, guess what he was doing? Changing his presets and looking at Multimedia screen while driving. He was driving a 2013 Audi A8 BTW.

Song and artist names for now playing songs are truncated rather wrapped or displayed in a larger window. This I agree does need improvement but you have to admit its better than those older cars that just list TRACK1 , TRACK2, etc

"Mother" Lexus decides what I am allowed to do while driving and what has to wait until I stop.
Most car manufacturers implement this safety feature to help prevent accidents and save there rear end from being sued. If people didnt sue everyone for the smallest little problem companies would not have to resort to such drastic measures for liability reasons. I own my own business and I can tell you that people are out looking for anyway to take your money, so as a result I have to implement some things into my products I sell to protect myself. Just like McDonalds no longer sell scolding hot coffee and label all there coffees ATTENTION HOT! / CALIENTE!. PRESTIGEOUS SOCIETY sells a device you can install yourself to alloy you to use the media and nav functions while driving and you can also watch DVD video while driving to BOOT. This is by far one of the easiest mods you can make to your GS. But I am all for safety and did not install this on my car. When I see someone in there car watching a DVD movie while driving I drive away from them first.

The read email functionality is really lacking as it can't seem to struggle with ampersands and apostrophes. This is true but thats just nitpicking the system that I think does a great job at doing. Computers and software will never get as good as the human mind. And when this does happens robots will be ruling the world and humans will be an endangered species. SKYNET anyone?

Not enough USB ports. Correct me if I am wrong but the 2015 GS has two USB ports instead of the 2013's one. That is a reason why its better to buy second or third year models because of these minor but useful improvements.

Typing in street names with a joystick is a slow and painful exercise. You can use Voice command or you can use Destination Assist to get to where you going without using the remote touch. There is an app you can use on your phone to send address to your navigation and I think its called eDestinations.

There is very little upgradability in the system. The only car that I know of that has this ability is the Tesla and it can be done wirelessly in the comfort of your home to boot! Most other Domestic and Import manufactuers are not so good at doing this, so you cant just fault Lexus but you have to fault the auto industry as a whole. If you want an updated OS/NAV on your GS, you have to upgraded to a 2015/2016 model. For example: You will get birds eye view navigation with these newer year GSs. 2013/2014 GSs are out of luck.

The "don't mark emails as read" for email notifications does not appear to work. Again why would you need to further distract yourself from driving to read emails? I personally dont think email should have a place in a car. I run a business and get lots of emails but I rather read and reply to emails at home or at work with a real computer.

For the first 20 seconds after I turn on my car it says "Phone connected" and then something like "Media player connected" which obscures the top 25% of the backup camera. Pretty much the only time I ever need the backup camera is the first 20 seconds after I turn the car on and back out of my parking spot. Like what the previous member posted, this can be changed via settings in the cars system. I have no problems with my 2014 GS with this issue while backing up.

There is some sort of an app system for the car but it is not available to those of us in Canada even though we pay more for the same car in Canada. Then you should immigrate to the USA! "Just Kidding" I think this may have something to do with your government than a Lexus fault.

The GS is a great car and most things you complain about can be fixed or adjusted. Your statement about why manufacturers dont just allow APPLE to connect to a car is a very unrealistic exspectation. The problem is car manufactuers cannot do this because there are too many brands and products and peripherals to make such a system usable for EVERYBODY. If you get Apple tablets connected to your car, this will draw away customers who do not like apple or do not own apple products. Heck I do not want to have to buy a tablet if I already spent $60K on a car and forced to swallow there products and make apple inc richer. What about Android tablets or WindowsPhone tablets? you cannot connect all of these brands together unless Apple, Android, Windows, work together to use only one type of input connection. An example of this is to have all three brands use the lighting connector or all three use the same MicroUSB port. And even if they all use the same connectors, Lexus would have to develop software with the three brands in order for the car system functions can communicate properly together without any problems. When you think about these things it makes sense that Lexus and other car manufactuers should not do this. These systems will only drive the cost of our cars even higher because now lexus would have to pay Apple/Android/Microsoft R&D and royalties to implement such a complicated system.
Old 01-10-15, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
To OP,

Many of the things you listed can be fixed, adjusted and changed. I personally think everything works as it should on my 2014 GS 350 and very happy. Some of the problems you mentioned is fixed on the 2014 and 2015 model years. And I am pretty sure 2016 will bring more improvements. The Lexus GS is a great car and I also think the Tesla is a great car too but that car needs a little more polish and better attention to detail. Lexus GS has many attention to details its too long to list here.

Here are my responses to your post.

It only holds 1000 contacts - my phone ideally holds my company's entire directory which is 900 employees. Add in external and personal contacts and I am WAY over 1000. This is a car not a Smartphone or business computer. Lexus made this for the GENERAL public and 90% of everyone who buys this car would not need more than 1000 contacts. Ive seen cars that can hold only 100 contacts and even then its still good enough for the average joe. If you want 10,000 contacts just store it on your phone.

Scrolling through the contacts to find ones that you want to add to your SpeedDial, or to call is painful, even though you can jump to some letters. You can always use voice command to dial for you. I have not problems doing this and the system understands me everytime and I have a southern country accent. Just press voice command "CALL" Jesse "CELL" and confirm with "DIAL" or "CALL" Skylar "HOME and press ANSWER button on steering wheel. This works everytime even while driving.

The reply functionality for emails doesn't work. Thats because you have an IPHONE/other incompatible phone. for some reason this does not work with APPLE phone, text messaging on the lexus does not work with apple phones either. My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 works both perfectly.

For XM radio the presets are stored as channel numbers rather than names so I have to remember that "Channel 20" is "E Street Radio" Id rather have a number listed for the stations than the station name, because I spend most of my time on the road reading road signs and paying attention to road traffic and not staring at a screen in my car and risking an accident. When I change my preset i just listen to what is playing and without looking I can tell what station I am on. I personally know a friend who rear ends someone who panic stopped in from of him, guess what he was doing? Changing his presets and looking at Multimedia screen while driving. He was driving a 2013 Audi A8 BTW.

Song and artist names for now playing songs are truncated rather wrapped or displayed in a larger window. This I agree does need improvement but you have to admit its better than those older cars that just list TRACK1 , TRACK2, etc

"Mother" Lexus decides what I am allowed to do while driving and what has to wait until I stop.
Most car manufacturers implement this safety feature to help prevent accidents and save there rear end from being sued. If people didnt sue everyone for the smallest little problem companies would not have to resort to such drastic measures for liability reasons. I own my own business and I can tell you that people are out looking for anyway to take your money, so as a result I have to implement some things into my products I sell to protect myself. Just like McDonalds no longer sell scolding hot coffee and label all there coffees ATTENTION HOT! / CALIENTE!. PRESTIGEOUS SOCIETY sells a device you can install yourself to alloy you to use the media and nav functions while driving and you can also watch DVD video while driving to BOOT. This is by far one of the easiest mods you can make to your GS. But I am all for safety and did not install this on my car. When I see someone in there car watching a DVD movie while driving I drive away from them first.

The read email functionality is really lacking as it can't seem to struggle with ampersands and apostrophes. This is true but thats just nitpicking the system that I think does a great job at doing. Computers and software will never get as good as the human mind. And when this does happens robots will be ruling the world and humans will be an endangered species. SKYNET anyone?

Not enough USB ports. Correct me if I am wrong but the 2015 GS has two USB ports instead of the 2013's one. That is a reason why its better to buy second or third year models because of these minor but useful improvements.

Typing in street names with a joystick is a slow and painful exercise. You can use Voice command or you can use Destination Assist to get to where you going without using the remote touch. There is an app you can use on your phone to send address to your navigation and I think its called eDestinations.

There is very little upgradability in the system. The only car that I know of that has this ability is the Tesla and it can be done wirelessly in the comfort of your home to boot! Most other Domestic and Import manufactuers are not so good at doing this, so you cant just fault Lexus but you have to fault the auto industry as a whole. If you want an updated OS/NAV on your GS, you have to upgraded to a 2015/2016 model. For example: You will get birds eye view navigation with these newer year GSs. 2013/2014 GSs are out of luck.

The "don't mark emails as read" for email notifications does not appear to work. Again why would you need to further distract yourself from driving to read emails? I personally dont think email should have a place in a car. I run a business and get lots of emails but I rather read and reply to emails at home or at work with a real computer.

For the first 20 seconds after I turn on my car it says "Phone connected" and then something like "Media player connected" which obscures the top 25% of the backup camera. Pretty much the only time I ever need the backup camera is the first 20 seconds after I turn the car on and back out of my parking spot. Like what the previous member posted, this can be changed via settings in the cars system. I have no problems with my 2014 GS with this issue while backing up.

There is some sort of an app system for the car but it is not available to those of us in Canada even though we pay more for the same car in Canada. Then you should immigrate to the USA! "Just Kidding" I think this may have something to do with your government than a Lexus fault.

The GS is a great car and most things you complain about can be fixed or adjusted. Your statement about why manufacturers dont just allow APPLE to connect to a car is a very unrealistic exspectation. The problem is car manufactuers cannot do this because there are too many brands and products and peripherals to make such a system usable for EVERYBODY. If you get Apple tablets connected to your car, this will draw away customers who do not like apple or do not own apple products. Heck I do not want to have to buy a tablet if I already spent $60K on a car and forced to swallow there products and make apple inc richer. What about Android tablets or WindowsPhone tablets? you cannot connect all of these brands together unless Apple, Android, Windows, work together to use only one type of input connection. An example of this is to have all three brands use the lighting connector or all three use the same MicroUSB port. And even if they all use the same connectors, Lexus would have to develop software with the three brands in order for the car system functions can communicate properly together without any problems. When you think about these things it makes sense that Lexus and other car manufactuers should not do this. These systems will only drive the cost of our cars even higher because now lexus would have to pay Apple/Android/Microsoft R&D and royalties to implement such a complicated system.
Great response! My only comment would be that I do receive in-car text messages through my iPhone. I just don't receive emails.

Re: the Tesla, it is a great car, but the one thing I DON'T like about it is the big tablet stuck in the middle of the dash. Hey, I'm old school, but I still want my car to look like a car inside.
Old 01-10-15, 09:20 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with OP.
Zero reason why cars are so technically challenged. I just got the 2015 GS350 and still shaking my head at how horrendous the tech in the car is.

Why cant I send addresses from my phone to car for car nav to handle?
Why does it take 4 steps to call my wife through voice commands?
Why doesnt car play mp4, mov, mpeg, mpg, xvid, mkv, gif and other formats that have been around for 5+ years?
Why cant your car play the videos youre playing on your phone?
USB stick file handling is atrocious at best.

finally the most important:
Why are car GUI so hard to navigate through?

just my 02
MEAHT

Last edited by MEAHT; 01-11-15 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-10-15, 09:47 PM
wayner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtp86
Congrats on the Tesla, I think that car is probably suited best towards what you're looking for as far as tech goes.
The performance ain't so bad either - especially off the line
Old 01-10-15, 10:48 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
The performance ain't so bad either - especially off the line
I am always astonished by the way electric cars take off from a complete stop... it's scary quick
Old 01-11-15, 12:02 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Automakers really need to get with the program. They need to have a modular system where the screen doesn't change (physically) but the cpu/software is in a box that anyone can swap under the dash. This will allow engineers to add features to the newest models without leaving us same generation, but older model owners in the dust.

Cellphones get swapped yearly or biannually by alot of people thanks to subsidies. I don't imagine a modular subsystem for a car would be much more expensive, complicated, or difficult to implement. Standardize on an OS, maybe a chipset, and go for it.

One of the biggest problems that causes this for just about every car is development time. I think whiteboard to finished product hovers around 4-5 years for most manufacturers. Like cellphones, in-dash electronics are frankly antiques by the time the car makes it to market. A modular system would let engineers leave a question mark on that piece of the puzzle until production is finalized.

The only hangup I see to this, from the manufacturer's perspective, is how "busy" the system is due to integration. That nav unit in your dash is handling tons of stuff for the ECU, HVAC systems, etc. It needs to be a discrete component.

/rant
Old 01-11-15, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I personally don't see where the system is so bad. I have a 2014 Jeep with their new uConnect, a system that has been praised in the press. While I think the uConnect is better...I don't think the system in the Lexus is "terrible"
Old 01-11-15, 10:52 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=AL13NV8D3R;8862127]To OP,

.[/B][/Q UOTE]

As a techie, the dash is what sold me on the GS350. Yes it is behind in technology when compared to cell phones and tablets but there is a very good reason for this. My IT sector is the Industrial IT sector (automation, oil and gas, transport). One of the primary reasons is because, as someone mentioned earlier, Lexus is in the business of making cars first and foremost. The communications side is the a secondary thing. They are still playing catch up tho.

My wish is they would just incorporate something like chromecast into the system so i can just mirror my screen and other things onto the info screen. But there is a lot of issue. what ever system has to deal with a lot of other systems in the cars communications systems (CAN bus). Android my be easier, as it is open source, but apple.. well we all know how secretive apple can b.
Old 01-11-15, 11:49 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
So I did something about my disappointment in the dashboard technology of my 2013 GS350 - I traded it in for a Tesla Model S P85D. The dashboard technology is about two orders of magnitude beyond what my GS350 had - but the car did cost twice as much. But my wife's car is a 2013 RX450h so I still have a Lexus in the family.

On this topic in general it looks like there is finally some movement on improving dashboard technology beyond something that wouldn't have looked too out of place on a Commodore 64.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto seem to be gaining traction - this year's CES seemed to have a lot on the connected car.
Man wayner, your thoughts and sentiments are totally in line with me. This topic is exactly what pisses me off about Lexus & just about every other car manufacturer out there. Their technology is SO far behind - even while it's being "developed" in house or "outsourced." These auto companies need to STOP paying their tech/engineering folks so much money for putting out such $hi*ty products. Either that, or find better companies that can do the job (if it's outsourced)!

Why should we, as consumers, have to compromise when stepping into a $50K+ car (of which at least $2K+ is attributed to tech/navigation/etc packages), yet when we step out of the car and start using our phone/tablets/laptops/PC's/etc that cost less than $1K, they are CENTURIES better? Furthermore, I can "sell" my tech devices and upgrade them on the spot... with the $hi*ty & outdated built-in nav/tech systems, I can't even swap them out/sell/upgrade them easily! Why DON'T we have a plug & play solution yet is the real question.

Here is my solution:

If I were to build my own car - every consumer will be required to have an iOS/Android based tech device to use ALL of the vehicle's features - hello, we're leaving in the 21st century.. you shouldn't be driving a car if you don't have one or can't afford one! You'll still be able to operate the car without "docking" your device, but you'll be limited to a basic car really (i.e. "a check engine" light will appear on your dash - but you won't know any further details until your dock your device).

I would simply have it so there are huge HD screens/windows (or super large HD screen/panel that could be split up). When you plug in/dock your device, there is a app developed from the manufacturer that would pop up and constantly run (you wouldn't be allowed to close it). This would house all of the coolest functions you can think of (like the Tesla has + more) and would also run other basic things like the backup camera.

The consumer would be allowed to run whatever the hell he/she wanted on the second screen/second half of the display (or could even multi-task multiple apps).

You think your display unit is operating too slow? Guess what.. just sell your iOS/Android device and upgrade to something better... simple, right? You want something else developed for your vehicle? Easy - just submit a request to the manufacturer's tech team database - the most liked/desired features will be made available through updates of their app. Tie the mfg techs's salary/bonuses based on how FEW of problems & issues they resolve (how seamless & fluid the app runs and how will it is integrated into the car) and how many good updates/features they continuously add in.

This entire concept seems way too easy and I'm happy that companies like Tesla popped up to give car mfgs a kick in the rear about how outdated their $hi* is. Also, looking forward to the implementation of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to see if it can be implemented in a way even remotely close to what I described above.

Btw, here is a great article that aligns with my thoughts as well: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/9...%E2%80%99s-why

~ Im2bz2p345

P.S. - Congrats on the Tesla P85D! Wow, that's my ultimate/dream car at the moment. I even mentioned it in the topic of my new car here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8858300

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-11-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
every consumer will be required to have an iOS/Android based tech device to operate the vehicle - hello, we're leaving in the 21st century.. you shouldn't be driving a car if you don't have one or can't afford one!
LOL....I have an iOS iPhone as well as an iPad, and I have no desire to have the car's infotainment system operate off of my iPhone or iPad for several reasons:

1. Battery power. I don't want to always have to plug my iPhone in when I'm in the car. I want to be able to hop in the car and drive for a mile and have all the car's functions available to me, I don't want to have to continually hook the phone up to the car to make this work.

The solution would be for it to sync wirelessly...which would increase the demands on my device's already poor battery life.

2. Data. As you describe, you'll be using your own cellular data instead of the car's satellite uplink for everything, navigation, traffic, etc. I pay enough for Data.

3. Design. I want the car to look like the car all the time, I don't want some big void where my iPad should go.

I think you need to separate what is important to *you* and what actually matters to the majority of people who purchase and drive cars. I for instance would not purchase a car that was designed how you describe.

I've used my iPhone/iPad for nav a few times in rental cars and such. I fail to at all see what is superior to the OEM system in the Lexus...
Old 01-11-15, 12:21 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
LOL....I have an iOS iPhone as well as an iPad, and I have no desire to have the car's infotainment system operate off of my iPhone or iPad for several reasons:

1. Battery power. I don't want to always have to plug my iPhone in when I'm in the car. I want to be able to hop in the car and drive for a mile and have all the car's functions available to me, I don't want to have to continually hook the phone up to the car to make this work.

The solution would be for it to sync wirelessly...which would increase the demands on my device's already poor battery life.

2. Data. As you describe, you'll be using your own cellular data instead of the car's satellite uplink for everything, navigation, traffic, etc. I pay enough for Data.

3. Design. I want the car to look like the car all the time, I don't want some big void where my iPad should go.

I think you need to separate what is important to *you* and what actually matters to the majority of people who purchase and drive cars. I for instance would not purchase a car that was designed how you describe.

I've used my iPhone/iPad for nav a few times in rental cars and such. I fail to at all see what is superior to the OEM system in the Lexus...
#1 is a non-issue. Wireless sync, heck even wireless charging would be out by the time this type of system were to get made & be efficient. Furthermore, where do you put your phone right now? We have so many threads on CL related to "cell phone mounts" - why not have one built into the car so that you have a place to store your phone that docks easily (similar to a laptop dock, but even better made).

#2 is a non-issue: http://my.teslamotors.com/de_AT/foru...dio-four-years

The car mfg should be teaming up cell phone carriers/data providers. For the millions of vehicles that are sold in the U.S. by each mfg, which cell phone provider wouldn't want to add that kind of volume of consumers for a minimal fee (i.e. $5/per month for unlimited data on a device WHILE using your device in the car - this could be achieved)? You also have think of about the amount you're saving from paying the mfg $2-$3K for a nav unit (that you can't upgrade/sell) vs the $600 for a new phone (that you can upgrade/sell) - if I'm saving that much, I don't mind paying $5/line for unlimited data in my car.

#3 is a non-issue. There is no need for a big void, especially if there is wireless connectivity & wireless charging. Like I said, you still be able to use the car for going from point A to point B without the device integration.

I think you're playing devil's advocate, but this is clearly the future of where tech & it's integration into cars as we head into the future. This can be noted by Tesla, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc. Watch CES and notice how many companies are trying to break into this market. Also, there is a reason why there are companies like VaisTech that have successful: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...d-screens.html

You have to be joking if you think any Lexus Nav (regardless of model/year) is even REMOTELY close to being as good as Google Maps + Waze combined. I'm not a iOS user, so I cannot compare it to Apple's navigation.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-11-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
#1 is a non-issue. Wireless sync, heck even wireless charging would be out by the time this type of system were to get made & be efficient. Furthermore, where do you put your phone right now? We have so many threads on CL related to "cell phone mounts" - why not have one built into the car so that you have a place to store your phone that docks easily (similar to a laptop dock, but even better made).
My phone stays in its holster on my belt. If I'm not wearing the holster it stays in my jacket pocket or wherever I carry it. There are some threads on CL about cell phone mounts, but 98% of CL members do not use or have no need for a cell phone mount, myself included.

You make it sound like every other thread is a thread about cell phone mounts and thats just not the case.

The car mfg should be teaming up cell phone carriers/data providers. For the millions of vehicles that are sold in the U.S. by each mfg, which cell phone provider wouldn't want to add that kind of volume of consumers for a minimal fee (i.e. $5/per month for unlimited data on a device WHILE using your device in the car - this could be achieved)
Based on my experience dealing with cell phone providers...this is incredibly naive. Even so...I'm paying $5 a month for something that right now is costing me $0 a month. Everybody right now is trying to sell me things that cost little money per month. Why buy software when I can pay $9 a month? All that little stuff adds up, and all of a sudden we're all paying multiple hundreds of dollars per month just to use stuff we need every day.

You also have think of about the amount you're saving from paying the mfg $2-$3K for a nav unit (that you can't upgrade/sell) vs the $600 for a new phone (that you can upgrade/sell) - if I'm saving that much, I don't mind paying $5/line for unlimited data in my car.
Again, naive. I'm not paying $2-3k for a nav system, its included in the cost of my vehicle. If you think car manufacturers are going to just reduce the cost of their vehicles because they no longer include a factory nav system...I have an oceanfront home in North Dakota to sell you.

There is no need for a big void, especially if there is wireless connectivity & wireless charging. Like I said, you still be able to use the car for going from point A to point B without the device integration.
But, where will my screen go if there is no void? I don't want some tacked on mount, I want a nice big screen built into my dashboard.

I think you're playing devil's advocate
I'm not. I legitimately don't find anything remotely appealing about anything you're describing. If you're talking about a built in system that operates independently from my phone or device, that runs an apple or google designed OS that is upgradable OTA...then we can talk. BUT, I don't want to have to use my phone or my iPad or whatever in the car to control functions that used to be controlled via the car's displays. Don't want to have to sync it, nothing.

You have to be joking if you think any Lexus Nav (regardless of model/year) is even REMOTELY close to being as good as Google Maps + Waze combined. I'm not a iOS user, so I cannot compare it to Apple's navigation.
Not joking. I haven't used Waze but I've used Google Maps (I don't use Apple maps) on numerous occasions, and I find nothing appealing about it over the Lexus nav in the slightest. I feel the same way about Garmin nav.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-11-15 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 01:02 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not joking. I haven't used Waze but I've used Google Maps (I don't use Apple maps) on numerous occasions, and I find nothing appealing about it over the Lexus nav in the slightest. I feel the same way about Garmin nav.
Not going to go back & forth - obviously the more tech minded folks will agree that Lexus (among other mfgs) are WAY behind in technology.

Just on this point though. Here is Google Maps from Street Views of Time's Square: https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...tch=96&fovy=75

If I was to actually SEE the location of a small shop (amongst the monster stores/attraction there), I can zoom in and see it/get closer.

PLEASE show me ANY Lexus nav image that is even remotely close and provides that much detail. Feel free to scour the forums/internet.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-11-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 02:50 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should we compare to Jaguar? They are horrible. Lexus isn't the worst but far from the best with their nav system. I actually haven't had an issue with my nav yet though. I mean they all suck.

Quick Reply: Why are the car technology systems so poor?