GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why are Lexus key fobs so freakin' big?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 11:56 AM
wayner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdsr123
We do have a metal key insert, there is a button on the side of it.
Good to know, but I never had need to use the key insert on my previous two Lexii so hopefully I won't need it on this one either. What do you do with the key? Unlock the door? I don't even remember if the door handle has a keyhole.
Old 01-08-13, 11:58 AM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by Outrage
I think the key fob is large. I also think the buttons should be shaped differently so you can identify the specific button by feel (like the BMW key fob shown above.
I agree with that but I almost never use the buttons on the key fobs.
Old 01-08-13, 12:01 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I'm guessing the traditional Lexus owner doesn't mind the large key fob size:

Old 01-08-13, 12:07 PM
wayner
Rookie

That photo is of a Cadillac or Lincoln owner.

Even better is the profit margin on the replacements - for my previous 2006 RX400h I bought a replacement that looked identcal on eBay for $5 (I just transferred the electronics from the broken key to the new one) and paid $30 to have the key cut. Don't the dealers charge about $200 for a replacement?
Old 01-08-13, 12:08 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I'm guessing the traditional Lexus owner doesn't mind the large key fob size:
Out of all of the ones Ive owned...I've never thought it was an issue enough to create a thread.
between this thread and now this thread here... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-so-poor.html

This sounds more of Princess and the Pea than actual issues.
Old 01-08-13, 12:26 PM
wayner
Rookie

I am a princess because I find fault in a product that I spent a lot of money to buy?

Some of these may be personal preference issues, but some of these issues are clearly bugs where the product that I bought is not working as advertised - such as the email reply issue. Some of these are minor issues but others are potentially safety issues, like the blockage of the backup camera during the period that you are most likely to use it.

I am a technology geek and I care a lot more about these issues than I do about whether my car's tranny has 4, 6 or 8 gears, which is one of the other current threads in this forum.

IMHO the technology systems in my two new cars (the other is a 2013 Rx400h) are not up to snuff compared to other products like an iPad or iPhone. Maybe there are good reasons for that but when I pay a few thousand for an upgrade to have all of the latest bells and whistle then I have a right to complain if these products have shortcomings.

I know that I am lucky that my biggest problem in life is the computer screen in my new Lexus!

After all, the whole reason that internet forums were invented is for people to ***** and moan about stuff. (edit-I guess if you say b-itch it gets censored!)
Old 01-08-13, 12:57 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
Good to know, but I never had need to use the key insert on my previous two Lexii so hopefully I won't need it on this one either. What do you do with the key? Unlock the door? I don't even remember if the door handle has a keyhole.
The mechanical key in the key fob can be used to unlock your car and its trunk in case the electronic key stops working (see p. 740 in your manual).

You can also use it to lock valuables in your glove box before giving your car keys to a valet (after locking the glove box, take the mechanical key with you and give the electronic key fob to the valet).
Old 01-08-13, 03:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

start by hacking into the system. offload the processing to an external computer or remote into it (processor is probably weak though).

meant to respond to your other post.

Last edited by sam430; 01-08-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 04:29 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's normal.

check other key fobs out there.
Old 01-08-13, 07:54 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
start by hacking into the system. offload the processing to an external computer or remote into it (processor is probably weak though).

meant to respond to your other post.
Huh? ......
Old 01-08-13, 08:10 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I am a princess because I find fault in a product that I spent a lot of money to buy?

Some of these may be personal preference issues, but some of these issues are clearly bugs where the product that I bought is not working as advertised - such as the email reply issue. Some of these are minor issues but others are potentially safety issues, like the blockage of the backup camera during the period that you are most likely to use it.

I am a technology geek and I care a lot more about these issues than I do about whether my car's tranny has 4, 6 or 8 gears, which is one of the other current threads in this forum.

IMHO the technology systems in my two new cars (the other is a 2013 Rx400h) are not up to snuff compared to other products like an iPad or iPhone. Maybe there are good reasons for that but when I pay a few thousand for an upgrade to have all of the latest bells and whistle then I have a right to complain if these products have shortcomings.

I know that I am lucky that my biggest problem in life is the computer screen in my new Lexus!

After all, the whole reason that internet forums were invented is for people to ***** and moan about stuff. (edit-I guess if you say b-itch it gets censored!)
Ok, understanding your a geek and all but it seems your expecting to much in these cars, your stating the technology is not up to par with an iPad or iPhone, I mean its a car not a tech box! not trying to burst your bubble but a car is a car. It has advanced technology for a car so you should be happy about that. Try to enjoy the car, driving it.
Old 01-08-13, 08:17 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car manufacturers normally take some years to create a new model. So when the new model rolls out, the technology will be a few years behind especially the electronic gadgets inside. This is the way I see why it will never catch up those smaller electronics like smartphones.
Old 01-08-13, 09:25 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus make their key fob too big so when sit down you have to take it out and put on the table, so people will know what you driving. :-) lol

Wait until you see the new LS key fob then no more complain.
Old 01-08-13, 10:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its just that your expectations are well outside the realm of reality.

Some of these are minor issues but others are potentially safety issues, like the blockage of the backup camera during the period that you are most likely to use it.
Just sit there for a few seconds until it clears...

Then I'm not sure why you bought a performance car...seriously.

You can't expect the technology in a car to be up to the level of Apple's latest mobile operating systems. Thats like complaining that the TFT display on your washing machine isn't as high resolution as the retina display on the iPad.

Technology in a car will ALWAYS lag behind technology that is released as a technology product. Lexus designs cars, Apple designs computer operating systems. Its absolutely no surprise that Apple's systems are better.

The technology in the GS is an ADDITION to a terrific car. Technology that comes from Apple is for technology's sake.

Anyways, people could write a whole forum on the MANY shortcomings of Apple products vs Android, etc. There are always shortcomings.
Old 01-09-13, 06:32 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Chicks dig the long ball.....errrr, I mean fob?

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus key fobs so freakin' big?