GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Voice command to suspend guidance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 05:56 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Voice command to suspend guidance?

I was hoping there was a voice command to suspend guidance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anybody know of one?
Old 01-08-13, 06:25 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to figure that out either. The number of button presses required to cancel a destination is a hassle.
Old 01-08-13, 11:31 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

it is not supported. the Avalon I had before supported it, not the gs. hopefully they will expand the list of commands in the near future

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-03-13, 12:55 PM
Nexifer
Driver School Candidate

Ditto. My Avalon had suspend guidance command. IMHO the voice commands in the GS are pitiful. The simple command "cancel" does not work anywhere. I still haven't figured out how to get the phone to call destination assistance... Its probably buried somewhere in the manual, but the command "call destination assistance" doesn't work.
Old 02-03-13, 01:32 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3GS command "pause guidance" worked fine, I am surprised it doesn't on the 4gs. What a pity... There must be a way!
Old 02-04-13, 09:58 AM
Nexifer
Driver School Candidate

It seems that my voice command starts in the shortcut menu. I now say "main menu" when I start it up and from there I say "set destination" which brings me to the destination menu which then has the option to say "call destination assist". Pretty hokey... Voice recognition on my iphone is light years ahead of this system. I can dictate a full page letter on it without any errors. How come Lexus voice recognition is in the dark ages??
I test drove an Audi A6 when I was car shopping and their voice system was far superior. I love the GS but the voice system is a fail.
Old 02-04-13, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Go into your settings and under Set-up, Voice, try enabling "Expanded" voice commands. This enables climate and a few other little things
Old 02-04-13, 09:22 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 429 Likes on 270 Posts

I haven't even figured out how to cancel a current guidance

I did it once but forgot Just got the car Saturday
Old 02-09-13, 09:36 AM
Leo23
Driver

So...did anyone found a solution?
Old 02-09-13, 11:23 AM
Snype
Rookie

That command is long gone, along with many others apparently. Maybe they'll bring them back in a future software release if customers complain enough.
Old 02-10-13, 05:42 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
I was hoping there was a voice command to suspend guidance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anybody know of one?
Only when speaking to the "guidance" sitting in the right seat when I say "Shut the "f" up!!"
Old 02-10-13, 06:26 AM
DrKeith
Driver

Originally Posted by dezymond
I haven't even figured out how to cancel a current guidance

I did it once but forgot Just got the car Saturday
Menu>Destinations
At the top right is a button to click 'Del Dest'
Old 02-10-13, 10:33 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can destinate on the fly, is it possible to pick the upcoming intersection as your destination after which the system will stop routing you? Your previous destination should be in - uh - previous destinations readily available for reselection when you wish to resume nav. Just a thought...
Old 02-10-13, 12:49 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Here is a link to voice commands from lexusnavigation including the list of POI categories:

http://lexusnavigation.com/pdf_docs/...d_TipSheet.pdf

I did not know about the "I'm hungry" commmand
Old 06-17-13, 03:01 PM
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

My wife purchased a new 2013 RX 450h in early June. Basically what we are finding is that the NAVs in our almost decade old Prii are 1000 times more user friendly than the new NAV.

In a little over 12 hours of ownership here is the list of issues we have .... so far....
1. GPS guidance is NOT suspended during phone calls.
- Yes that is correct people, the CEO of the fortune 50 company you are on the phone with discussing acquisitions is going to get directions to Walgreens if you are on the phone during your call. Pathetic.
** - Ohhh and for those of you that say this is a GOOD function. Put you screen on the Map and follow the directions there or watch your HUD if you have one. The turns are displayed there as well. No talking from Miss Automaton during phone calls please.

2. Essentially every useful voice command has been eliminated from this system. This includes "Suspend Guidance" or "Pause Guidance", "Resume Guidance", "Softer", "Louder", Heading Up", "North Up", "FM1", "SAT", "72 Degrees", "Hide All Icons", etc... etc....
- Yep you guessed it. Make a 5 minute detour off of your route to stop at a friends, grab a bite to eat or for any other reason and the GPS recalculates and tries to get you back on route. No more can you simply say "Suspend Guidance" and then "Resume Guidance" once you actually want to continue your trip. Pathetic again.

I wanted to post to rant a little and to let everyone know that these issues existed. The phone number for Lexus Feedback and Complaints is 1-800-255-3987. They have been called, lol.

Hopefully at least the "Suspend Guidance", "Resume Guidance" and muting of GPS during phone calls will be corrected soon with a firmware upgrade. I also hope this extremely poor NAV system doesn't start showing up in new Prii. If so I might have to bite the bullet and swap Ema's engine rather than upgrading to new Prius.

Happy driving,
Chris

Quick Reply: Voice command to suspend guidance?