GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Old 01-31-14, 09:35 PM
msp713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
i was talking about the puddle lights sorry. is those also 194? or are they indeed 192?
I haven't installed but I got 3 of the same bulb which I thought some others were doing too...?
Old 02-01-14, 12:39 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The puddle lights and trunk are 194.
Old 02-04-14, 10:49 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

We have the 194 LED's in every color: $1.99 each

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/T...p/t10_5led.htm
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 02-19-14, 03:01 PM
NXXT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing mirror - ONE-HANDED

Here's a video for you guys since I know a lot of you are scared when pulling the mirror off. I was limited to 15 seconds thanks to Instagram. Follow me btw ( alexx_nxxtlvl ).

Takes 2min to install the new LED bulb. 5min tops.

1- Take the edge of the mirror and get a good grip and pull towards you. Don't be afraid it will not harm the car

2- Remove the 5 screws

3- Take the colored housing off. In my case, gray

4- The white housing is where the bulb is. Twist it open and pull the bulb out.

5- Put the top edge of the white housing back in its tab

6- Without moving much, because the white housing may come out of its tab, place the blinker LEDS back into the colored housing

7- Put the colored housing back into place with the front black housing and make sure all the edges lineup

8- Put the screws back in, double-check the alignment of the edges

9- Align the two top tabs with the back of the mirror and press them in firmly. Now press in the bottom ones. DONE. Simple. Now re-align your mirrors and save your memory settings

Old 04-13-14, 09:10 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up. I went with the sylvania bulbs and they great. Went ahead and changed the trunk light and reverse lights while i was at it. When i removed the mirrors i wore an old pair of Ansell Hyflex gloves i had laying around. Made it easier to remove the clips and cut down on the finger pain.
Old 06-26-14, 08:51 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Thanks for the write up! Got it done today! i find it easier with the back cover out rather than the front black piece out. When putting it all back, place the puddle light cover on the black cover 1st then hold on to the signal light in place with 1 hand, with the other hand pop back the back cover then it's all done after screwing back all the 5 screw & pop back the mirror!

I tried the way bro posted but it's so difficult to pop back the black cover as the puddle light keeps running around & difficult to pop the front black cover into the tab on the puddle light housing!

Btw wat kind of LED bulbs give the best illumination for this mod? As the bulb is shine on it's side rather than straight on if u get wat i mean. I'm using an LED dat has 1 LED on top, with 4 LEDs on the side like 4 corners. The shine is quite ok as 2 LED on the side will shine down... Dunno if T10 las LED bulbs like in a panel type with LED lying on a straight panel. This way all LEDs will shine down
Could you or somebody post a couple pictures of this method?? I'm a visual learner
Old 09-25-14, 05:06 PM
tknx
Pole Position

OK, just did this mod - was a bit of a pain in the ***, but overall went quickly.

The Sylvanias seem to work well for puddles. Not sure I am going to do the vanity lights since they seem a bit too cold for that. May end up replacing the reading LEDs with something a bit less blue eventually as well. Maybe do the lights in 3500K or something a bit warmer.
Old 09-27-14, 04:29 PM
ttran1130
Driver School Candidate

I just changed out my puddle lights to leds. I was nervous about pulling off the mirror thinking I would break something. Trust me, just give it a little force and it will pop off. But now that I put everything back together , the leds is not coming on. Any ideas as to why it's not coming on? Is there any way I can turn them on manually?
Old 09-27-14, 06:44 PM
tknx
Pole Position

So it definitely isn't that crazy bright like the pics appear. I wish they were brighter.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Obviously a brighter LED would help - there is plenty of room.

2. A ton of light is being lost - (1) the inner part isn't terribly reflective and (2) the light is much bigger than the aperture in the mirror.

So I may replace the Sylvania's with something much brighter and find some reflective film to try and enhance the effect.
Old 10-29-14, 12:40 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a 2013 Fsport. I don't see any puddle lights when i lock or unlock the doors. In LPS, i have exterior lights set on for 30 seconds. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-14, 12:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
I just got a 2013 Fsport. I don't see any puddle lights when i lock or unlock the doors. In LPS, i have exterior lights set on for 30 seconds. Any suggestions?
look under the side view mirrors and see if you see anything light up when you unlock the car.
Old 10-29-14, 07:04 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
look under the side view mirrors and see if you see anything light up when you unlock the car.
Thanks! Guess that light is super dim! I had to bend down to look, but it's there. Gonna pm you about something else.
Old 11-11-14, 08:58 AM
tknx
Pole Position

So after doing this with the Sylvanias for a while - I have to say I am still unimpressed. It is better than stock (which was so dim it was pointless), but nothing like the OP pics look like. I'll post some night pics tonight.

I could try out the VLEDs next, but doing the mirrors is a pain in the ***. So I don't want to do this unless they will be ridiculously bright. I am about to do under-side-skirt puddle lights instead just to get more light...
Old 11-12-14, 09:17 PM
Sandeman
Driver School Candidate

super easy to do - thanks OP for this write up
Old 02-09-15, 10:56 AM
KDLiquidGS
Rookie

Just did this this weekend and it was fairly easy. Just struggled putting it back together. It's definitely scary as hell to do though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led