GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 03:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cin8
I feel for you. I parked far away too and I have no idea why that car had to park right next to me when there were a ton of open spaces.
you guys should count your blessings... the total of cost of the SP F Sport that was hit while parked was $700, the total cost of the OB F Sport that was hit while parked was $3310.00. the SP i had for about 3 months before she was violated and the OB i had for maybe a month before she was violated. and i park 5 miles from the store j/k. but i do park very far away from everyone.
Old 01-05-13, 03:34 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After pic. Truly not noticeable unless you really look for it or if the light hits the dent.
Attached Thumbnails Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-13, 03:41 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Yikes!! I will let this go now and stop obsessing. This is super minor in comparison!

Sydtoosic - off topic question... Should I wait a few days to do the hardbody application since we just applied the scratch x and polish today? TIA

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
you guys should count your blessings... the total of cost of the SP F Sport that was hit while parked was $700, the total cost of the OB F Sport that was hit while parked was $3310.00. the SP i had for about 3 months before she was violated and the OB i had for maybe a month before she was violated. and i park 5 miles from the store j/k. but i do park very far away from everyone.
Old 01-05-13, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Great, glad you got it fixed to your satisfaction.

No need to wait on the Hardbody...
Old 01-05-13, 04:15 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cin8
Yikes!! I will let this go now and stop obsessing. This is super minor in comparison!

Sydtoosic - off topic question... Should I wait a few days to do the hardbody application since we just applied the scratch x and polish today? TIA
i'm going to condense this for you.
#1 you have to start with a completely uber clean surface.
#2 everything comes off the car. polish, wax... everything. my bad for not mentioning that yesterday.
#3 original Dawn dish washing liquid. if you don't have detailers chemicals.
#4 wash it good with the dawn to strip off everything... throw the dawn in the garbage don't use it on your car ever again.
#5 clay the car if needed.
#6 correct paint if needed.
#7 IPA wipedown x2
#8 Hard Body, MF towels and some sunglasses. forgot to mention beverages. coffee, tea, juice because you're going to be in your driveway for a while, if you don't need to clay or correct then it shouldn't take that long. the sunglasses are going to prevent your corneas from burning after you look at that shiny paint. " HAVE FUN"

Last edited by sydtoosic; 01-05-13 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 06:33 AM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always have a paintless dent repair technician look at the dent to see if they could push it out. I actually couldn't see it since I'm just using a phone, but if its small enough there's a good chance they could remove for $100 or less. Good luck!
Old 01-06-13, 04:46 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Looks good but you need to get that fixed
Old 01-06-13, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Eh...I don't know that I would risk paint matching problems and such for something so minor if it didn't really bother me.
Old 01-06-13, 07:57 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Eh...I don't know that I would risk paint matching problems and such for something so minor if it didn't really bother me.
Color match isn't a issue nowadays if you do your homework first. Guys do this everyday. All you have to do is find the right variant and tint if needed. Do a spray out card and match it. Blend it all in and it will be just fine. Just don't take it to the hack and pack shop.
Old 01-06-13, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just a guy that prefers the factory finish every time if its something minor thats not going to bug me.
Old 01-06-13, 08:10 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'm just a guy that prefers the factory finish every time if its something minor thats not going to bug me.
factory finishes can be replicated, I guess I am just a kind of guy that wouldn't be able to live with this. Esp everytime I wash the car. I couldn't stand the fact that I would be rubbing wax into a dent
Old 01-06-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm picky myself, but finding a great shop that can replicate a factory finish isn't easy, not to mention the fact thats a costly repair. If you can only see it from a certain angle...the sting passes.
Old 01-06-13, 11:48 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think having it repair and respray will only be opening a can of warm. It's so close to the bumper. Painting plastic and metal will not always match even if it was properly color matched. Best is to take SKA430 advice and do paintless dent repair. It will cost you between $100-200 if the tech can not get to it from the trunk. Bumper may need to be drop slightly.
Old 01-07-13, 04:59 AM
GtiB
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i'm going to condense this for you.
#1 you have to start with a completely uber clean surface.
#2 everything comes off the car. polish, wax... everything. my bad for not mentioning that yesterday.
#3 original Dawn dish washing liquid. if you don't have detailers chemicals.
#4 wash it good with the dawn to strip off everything... throw the dawn in the garbage don't use it on your car ever again.
#5 clay the car if needed.
#6 correct paint if needed.
#7 IPA wipedown x2
#8 Hard Body, MF towels and some sunglasses. forgot to mention beverages. coffee, tea, juice because you're going to be in your driveway for a while, if you don't need to clay or correct then it shouldn't take that long. the sunglasses are going to prevent your corneas from burning after you look at that shiny paint. " HAVE FUN"
syd do you apply the HB by hand ? or using a machine ? and how long do u wait until you wipe it off using the MF towel ?
Old 01-07-13, 05:20 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I had my front fender repaired simply by having it reshaped. No new paint was involved. The rear quarter panel dent looks quite minor in comparison.

Before: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-350-a.html

After: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-l-sport.html

Quick Reply: Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.