GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 01:45 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up my car from Detailing Dynamics (awesome place if your interested) had my Belltronics STiR Plus and Laser Interceptors installed (and Xpel Ultimate PPF installed)

a few of a the radar/LI
Attached Thumbnails Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-dsc00077.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-dsc00081.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-dsc00085.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-dsc00088.jpg  
Old 06-18-13, 10:40 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Picked up my car from Detailing Dynamics (awesome place if your interested) had my Belltronics STiR Plus and Laser Interceptors installed (and Xpel Ultimate PPF installed)

a few of a the radar/LI
Looking good! Man an f-sport bumper on that DSM would look too sexy. It's a shame blue wasn't in the f-sport pallet.
Old 06-19-13, 12:24 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Looking good! Man an f-sport bumper on that DSM would look too sexy. It's a shame blue wasn't in the f-sport pallet.
thanks! and yes a DSM F sport would look awesome!
Old 07-27-13, 04:25 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys for the V1 blendmount and mirror tap into the rain sensor... What length mirror tap did you use?
Old 07-27-13, 05:08 PM
RobertE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
WATCH OUT!

High-mounted RDs with suction cups WILL let go sooner or later. When they do, you can damage your delicate wood trim, destroy the detector, and rip out your painstakingly installed hardwire. If you use suction cup mounts, you MUST take precautions against the unit falling. NOTE: religiously removing the detector when the car is parked is NOT sufficient protection. Under hard braking, rough roads, or because it's the third Tuesday of the month, your RD will surely take a fall. Be warned and be ready.
Are you off roading the vehicle lol or what. I had my Valentine1 up high on my caddy window for 3 years in hot and cold weather and the suction cups have not let go and with 500+ hp I have had to do some quick braking now and then. Just installed it last night in the GS behind the new tint strip and it feels as solid as it did in the caddy. I'm sure they do fall off but so far I haven't had it happen, knock on wood or fall on dash lol
Old 07-29-13, 12:46 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
I just clip mine to the bottom of the passenger sun visor in the closed position. (I put some foam on the inside to keep it horizontal and it has a clear "view" out of the front and back). I also purchased the Savvy unit and the concealed display. The concealed display is great as it shuts off the lights on the main unit and replicates it right in front of you. No one outside the car can see the flashing lights.

I put the concealed display on my steering wheel, which fits well if you don't have the eye/sleep monitor thing (I installed it with Velcro in approximately the same location). The Saavy plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash for power (and it also mutes the detector if your speed is under a selectable threshold setting). So theres a small cord running from the concealed unit to the Savvy unit under the dash (easily concealed) and a long cord running from the Savvy to the main unit on the passenger visor.

I simply ran the power cord (thin black telephone-like wire), from under the dash to the inside of the driver's door, behind the rubber door seal to the top of the door, and then out accross the pillar (the only visable part), and under the headliner by just tucking it in where it meets the front windshield. It comes out where the rain sensor is located, but it's small and black and not noticeable at all (especially if you have the black FSport headliner). Then I route it through where the sun visor is attached and plug it in. It looks very close to a custom install, and no taping wires whatsoever. If anyone is interested, I'll take some pictures.
LexusGSFGO: What wire did you use to go from the savvy to the main unit "and a long cord running from the Savvy to the main unit on the passenger visor. "
Old 09-21-13, 06:04 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

Blendmount is a great look!
Attached Thumbnails Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-2013-09-20-15.35.11.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-2013-09-20-15.35.16.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-2013-09-20-15.35.21.jpg  
Old 11-12-13, 06:27 AM
herron1
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried one of the mirror post mounted brackets to hold a radar detector?
Old 11-12-13, 06:49 AM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Blend Mount and a wire tap. I literally had my detector up and functioning with ten minutes. I tapped into the mirror wires on the windshield and plugged it in using the wire tap. It hangs just below the rearview mirror like it was built in. I love it. A little pricey but to me it was worth the money.
Old 11-12-13, 07:29 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

honestly, ill put it anywhere.as long as its convient to take off when you need it off
Old 11-12-13, 08:02 AM
Vulaj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my GS with a passport ci8500 installed on it..it's like a 1500$ radar! So sick..works like a charm!

Take a look at it!
Attached Thumbnails Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-image-1483816632.jpg   Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!-image-3642083532.jpg  
Old 11-12-13, 05:19 PM
mcolommena
Driver

I jsed a blendmount and a saavy to wire my V1. Just rwn the included cable up the drivers side post and over under to the rearview. Real easy!
Old 11-12-13, 06:46 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Lol thanks, I'm traveling there next month, even if I have it off does it matter.
They'll take it if they pull you over, off or not.
Old 11-13-13, 05:44 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by mcolommena
LexusGSFGO: What wire did you use to go from the savvy to the main unit "and a long cord running from the Savvy to the main unit on the passenger visor. "
I just used the cord flat cord that came with it.
Old 11-13-13, 03:28 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vulaj
I purchased my GS with a passport ci8500 installed on it..it's like a 1500$ radar! So sick..works like a charm!

Take a look at it!
I have the beltronics version, (see the first post on this thread) I love it. Where did they mount the actual receiver?

Quick Reply: Where Have you Mounted Your Radar Detector!