GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 08:05 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I have experienced some odd noises from the rear in cold weather (below -10 C/ 14 F) where it sounded like the parking brake had not fully disengaged. The dealer told me it is a possibility but he could only diagnose the problem when we are back down below that mark.
Old 03-29-13, 05:19 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer told me the exact same thing, and they can do nothing about it... But lately it stopped, maybe due to the warm weather
Old 03-30-13, 10:43 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

I had a loud popping/crack sound from near the sunroof when pulling into my drive at a bad angle (my driveway is very steep at the bottom, so I usually take it at an angle to avoid scrapes). Only happened once and I have been very careful on my "angle of attack" since.

My G35 coupe did similar things that turned out to be the sunroof rails needing adjusting due to body flex. There was an Infiniti TSB about it. Once that was done, it never did it again on the G.

I wonder if this is something similar on the GS?
Old 03-30-13, 03:36 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark
I had a loud popping/crack sound from near the sunroof when pulling into my drive at a bad angle (my driveway is very steep at the bottom, so I usually take it at an angle to avoid scrapes). Only happened once and I have been very careful on my "angle of attack" since.

My G35 coupe did similar things that turned out to be the sunroof rails needing adjusting due to body flex. There was an Infiniti TSB about it. Once that was done, it never did it again on the G.

I wonder if this is something similar on the GS?
There a TSB for noise popping from the sunroof. Required to remove the whole headliner to replace couple bolt. I would live with it since remove the headliner will remove the whole interior trim and will cause for trouble than good.
Old 03-30-13, 03:56 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onexcite
There a TSB for noise popping from the sunroof. Required to remove the whole headliner to replace couple bolt. I would live with it since remove the headliner will remove the whole interior trim and will cause for trouble than good.
Oh, I agree...It's only happened that one time, and if I am careful taking the slope to the driveway, it doesn't do it.

Tearing the interior apart to fix an intermittent noise is, to me, asking for trouble...The more you tear it down and put it together, the more likely you are to introduce even more rattles and squeaks.
Old 03-30-13, 04:53 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sunroof TSB did nothing for my car as it was never from the inside but from the outside rear suspension when going down the drive way or up the driveway when turning left, never with right turn.
The sound gets worse when its warmer outside (greater than 40 degrees) and goes away when cold or very cold outside (below 20 degrees). The sound IS from one of the control arm or strut.
At this time my dealer does not want to take my suspension apart looking for this sound and they are right it will ruin the car. They informed the corporation headquarters of this and the company is working on a solution and it will come soon before summer.
This noise is similar to the Lexus LS460-600 series with popping/clunk noise from the struts that were replaced with newer quieter ones.
Old 03-31-13, 08:23 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rexus300
The sunroof TSB did nothing for my car as it was never from the inside but from the outside rear suspension when going down the drive way or up the driveway when turning left, never with right turn.
The sound gets worse when its warmer outside (greater than 40 degrees) and goes away when cold or very cold outside (below 20 degrees). The sound IS from one of the control arm or strut.
At this time my dealer does not want to take my suspension apart looking for this sound and they are right it will ruin the car. They informed the corporation headquarters of this and the company is working on a solution and it will come soon before summer.
This noise is similar to the Lexus LS460-600 series with popping/clunk noise from the struts that were replaced with newer quieter ones.
What you are describing is definitely different than what I heard that one time...But now I will listen for the noise you described as well.
Old 05-03-13, 02:19 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I finally got it resolved!!! Once for all.

It is a loose bolt on the underbody that was not tightened to spec at the factory, The dealer chief mechanic heard the sound everytime going up a driveway and he says my GS was the first with the noise. He tightened the subframe bolts and the car is quiet now. I love it. No more popping sounds.
Old 05-21-14, 04:35 AM
dd1818
Driver School Candidate

Is there any other success story on resolving this clunking noise? Mine is going in for repair for the second time tomorrow and any feedback would be appreciated!!
Old 05-21-14, 05:17 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My fsport made this noise once, I was also on a steep driveway. My old 3GS made the exact same noise, but much more frequently.

Sounded like an Acorn or rock hitting the car from above..
Old 05-21-14, 06:32 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

The rear subframe bolts are loose. I would recommend everyone to put the mechanic in the back seat and drive around the parking lot and go up the driveway, etc and duplicate that clunking noise. My mechanic immediately knew and tightened the subframe bolts after that loud clunk noise when going up the driveway when taking a full turn. The noise has been gone for more than 1 year.
Old 05-21-14, 08:16 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone with the similar issues on the 2014 models?
Old 05-21-14, 03:26 PM
GS250
Driver

isnt tightening of all bolts and nuts part of the regular item during your servicing at the dealer?
Old 05-21-14, 04:59 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS250
isnt tightening of all bolts and nuts part of the regular item during your servicing at the dealer?
Not the sub frame bushings. They don't tighten any bolts during servicing to be perfectly honest. It's just inspecting. I've been with the service team few times in the service bay and know this.
Old 05-21-14, 09:19 PM
sungzilla
Driver School Candidate

i had couple of friends telling me the same thing on their 2013's fsport.
i have 2014 and i don't hear anything yet.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise